+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: range review: Blue Trail (indoor only)

Default range review: Blue Trail (indoor only)

316 N Branford Rd
    Wallingford, CT 06492
    (203) 269-3280

http://www.bluetrailrange.com

I should qualify this review by saying that I went to Blue Trail during a torrential downpour. It was also a weekday afternoon. I believe these two conditions factored heavily into my experience there, and your mileage will almost certainly vary.

The road that Blue Trail is on floods easily. If it's raining heavily, and you don't drive some sort of SUV or truck, you might consider going on a different day.

Given the weather, I did not use the outdoor range facilities.

The indoor range is for .22 caliber only. I bought some reasonably-priced paper targets from the adjacent gun shop. Weekdays are $19 for unlimited range time, but I understand that weekends are a bit pricier because you pay by the hour. Overall, the indoor range is acceptable, but far from ideal. It was a comfortable temperature, and mostly clean, but had the look of a place that has gone many decades without renovation. My biggest problem was that it's generally not well lit. Target distance is fifty feet, with no numbered incremental markings, and no target lighting anywhere except at the full distance (a major disappointment for anyone using a semi-automatic pistol as opposed to a rifle). The target movement controls are old-school, manual hand crank. However, they are easy to operate and appear to have been well maintained. There's no shelving, benches or tables of any kind, which would have been a considerable inconvenience if I wasn't the only shooter there. Finally, the rightmost lanes were quickly starting to flood near the end of my session. The building apparently has some leakage problems.

The staff didn't make any particular impression on me, good or bad. While they weren't rude, they weren't ostensibly helpful either. They served their purpose, and answered my questions curtly but informatively. As an aside, I was told to always call ahead on weekdays, because they frequently have scheduled events going on and the range may not be available.

I would visit Blue Trail again, mainly because it's a mere five miles from my residence. The convenience factor outweighs the negative aspects I've mentioned. But my recent experiences at other local shooting ranges have left me a bit spoiled, I suppose. I think Blue Trail needs to make some changes and improvements if they are to remain competitive.

I did not purchase any food at Blue Trail, so I cannot comment on their cafeteria.
    Heckler & Koch P2000SK .40 S&W (V2/LEM) w/Meprolight Tru-Dots
    Smith & Wesson model 642 w/LaserMax
    Smith & Wesson model 422
    Hi-Point model C-9
    Mossberg 500 Cruiser (8-shot) w/Knoxx SpecOps Folder
    Henry Lever Action .22 model H001T (Octagon Barrel)
    Ruger .380 LCP
    Ruger GP100 (4" blued)

Unrepentant HKHolic

I have been going to Blue Trail for as long as I can remember. Way back when, I was one of those 10 year old kids shooting bolt action .22 prone on the floor of that very same indoor range every Saturday morning. I basically grew up shooting there.

I mainly goto Blue Trail for 100yd. centerfire rifle. But if it's a cold day you will freeze your ass off on the line, so I haven't done that in a while. But if you think it's dead there and no one ever goes outside, think again, you should have seen it the day after Thanksgiving last year it was a mad house!

However, your criticism of the indoor range is accurate. Besides it being strictly .22 ONLY, it doesn't have any distance markers and it is not too well lit. It also probably hasn't been renovated since like the 50's. I still go there often with my Buckmark when I have to scratch the itch to shoot something, and it is good for that.

The only thing that gripes me is I feel I really annoy some of the older "target" shooting crowd with the custom .22 rifles that frequent there. I am standing there shooting box after box of .22 and the other guys are taking about 1 shot every half-hour and over analyzing it to no end. To each his own, but I am a paying customer just like those guys... so I ignore them and there sometimes nasty looks and just do what I want. :)

Lenny, the NRA instructor at BT, is a really nice guy. I took my pistol permit class through them and you can tell this man has incredible wisdom and knowledge about shooting. When he speaks, I always listen up good. I believe Mike was the mans name who I bought my Buckmark from in their little range shop, another very nice guy who I recieved excellent service from. The women who takes the money for the range tickets is a little indifferent, but not impolite. Imagine how boring her job must be though... so I don't hold it against her.

All in all, I grew up going to Blue Trail and have some very fond memories of it. It is almost like a second home to me. :)
    Owns HK and Glock Pistols.
    NRA/CCDL/GSSF Member- Glock Certified Armorer

Improve Your Handgun Shooting Skills- Handgun Drills PDF

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I dont like the fact that BT has set distances outside, Pistol is 25 uards only, and rifle 100 or 200. I like to do a bit closer for sighting in.

And on the water, it didnt matter that day where you were. 3" of rain will flood anybody out. heck, downtown RT 5 was flooded for a while. Ground was still frozen.
    P2000sk .40 LEM

P2000sk 9mm DA/SA

HK USC, in Evil Black

Will sell Soul for a factory UMP :)

What gets me about the indoor range is that the necessary improvements would be so inexpensive for them to make! I mean, a few lights, some paint, and a few hours' work. Would it really kill them to make the effort, especially at the prices they're charging?

I can only hope the new Hoffman's range is going to be a bit more reasonable.

ruumis, are you in wallingford, northford, ??. im about 3 miles away from there in northford right now. we should meet up for a little HK fest sometime.

-Brandon
    HK P2000

more to come ..... hopefully soon!

When all else fails, think to yourself "what would Charles Bronson do?"

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt5287 View Post
    ruumis, are you in wallingford, northford, ??. im about 3 miles away from there in northford right now. we should meet up for a little HK fest sometime.

-Brandon
    Hi Brandon,

I'm near the Meriden/Wallingford line, on the Wallingford side. Being relatively new to both shooting and HK, I'm always looking to soak up knowledge from more experienced shooters... especially HK enthusiasts!

I've looked into both the Wallingford and Meriden Rod & Gun clubs, but membership is quite expensive. Also, while I love fishing (catch & release), I'm definitely not a hunter. So it's a little bit of a conflict of interests there. At the risk of editorializing, there's also a disturbing undercurrent of racism I noticed while attending a friend's bachelor party at the Meriden club.

Anyhow, I'd be willing to meet up, what did you have in mind? It sounds like others in the area might be interested as well. I'd like to hear their thoughts.

- Lou

Unrepentant HKHolic

I agree with Mountain Man too. The minimum distance on the pistol range annoys me too. This is why I usually go elsewhere to an indoor range for centerfire handgun. I truly suck at the minimum 75' distance at Blue Trail. :)

I am decent at 100yd. rifle, but would like a closer point for sighting in optics as well. I also could do without the mandatory bench-resting, ie the plywood that prevents you from doing anything but shoot from a sitting posistion. :) I understand this is necessary though to keep rounds from hopping over the earth burm.

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt5287 View Post

-Brandon
    Ill join you guys.

When and where ? Ill bring a few toys !

lemme talk to a few guys n we'll try to set up a time to go. weekends best for you guys??

Working weekends for now, but will have them off towards the middle of march. Besides, nicer weather is coming.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links