HKPRO Forums banner

PRODUCT REVIEW: Strike Industries Slick 9 HK416 Handguard

20K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  work2live 
#1 · (Edited)
(click images to enlarge)

The handguards come shipped with a fastening cross bolt and allen wrench. It features Keymod slots at 3, 6 and 9'oclock positions as well as front and rear QD sling cups on each side.

First impressions on quality is excellent. Edges that should be sharp are sharp; edges that should be softened are softened. The Type III hardcoat is uniform and the branding is clean. What you immediately notice is that their extrusion is nearly identical to the factory HK extrusion. They have retained all important features such as the access hole for mounting the M320. Other than a slight difference between Type III hardcoat and HK's HE finish, you'd believe that this was a genuine HK hanguard.

Harmonica
Font

The German handguard has the cross bolt block attached with obvious welds. The SI handguard does not appear to be welded, but perhaps bonded. The SI block does not have the captive cross bolt feature that the HK block has.

Tire Auto part Automotive tire Tread

The included cross bolt is an off-the-shelf allen bolt. The head is of a smaller diameter and lacks the conical surface on the underside. It also lacks the factory HK416 head pattern which allows use of a bolt-head lug for removal. I recommend discarding the included cross bolt and reusing your HK416/MR556 cross bolt.

Screw Fastener Auto part Metal Nut
Screw Fastener Titanium Tool accessory Auto part

The SI hanguard is 2 ounces lighter.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Router
Technology Electronic device Electronics

When I installed the cross bolt, I had to bump the handguard forward a tad in order for it to insert through. This resulted in a small gap between the upper and the handguard. It is a non-critical issue and may be isolated to just this upper/handguard combo, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Font Technology Electronic device

The slots at the 36 and 17 positions are notched. I am unsure as to why they did this. When I attached the front Troy flip-up sight, it caused the clamp to slip and rotate. I had pay more care when mounting by pulling rearward to ensure better purchase on the rail.

Airsoft Airsoft gun
Electronic instrument

Once installed, it flows with the lines of the gun allowing to retain its German design flare.

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Assault rifle
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Airsoft gun Auto part Vehicle
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Gun Airsoft Airsoft gun Air gun
Gun Firearm Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger

Shown here with Noveske NSR panels and Inforce WMLx.

Gun Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger
Gun Firearm Airsoft Airsoft gun Air gun
Airsoft Airsoft gun Recreation Air gun
Gun Laser guns Tool Airsoft gun Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft

OPINIONS:

If you like the lines of the original handguard but require more versatility, this is definitely one you should consider. I think it would be a nice feature for the cross bolt to be captive as well as the bolt itself to be more like the original HK cross bolt. The notches cut into the rails are a bit bewildering and could be an issue with equipment placement depending on the size of the clamping bracket. I'd also like to find out if the small gap I encountered is isolated to just this pairing.

Given the starting MSRP of $179.00, I'd say the Strike Industries Slick series are a home run. Great job guys!

See less See more
#4 ·
good call! I plan on checking with them after the holidays and will let you know the final answer.

Excellent review.
thank you!

#5 ·
Just got mine!

Thanks for the great review JP.

A question: not being an HK certified armorer, is the handguard easy to install? Or should I have a gunsmith do it?

#6 ·
Thanks for the great review JP.

A question: not being an HK certified armorer, is the handguard easy to install? Or should I have a gunsmith do it?
you can do it... loosen the bolt and slide it off. Some are really snug and require a little elbow grease to remove. Whrn reinstalling, I recommend getting an appropriate torque wrench and tightening the bolt to spec.

#11 ·
Good to know! I have a long version coming for my MR556 so I'll have more reference points. Thanks for the input!

I believe the spec on the handguard bolt screw is by hand, as tight as you can get it, but I would have to double check my notes later this evening.
It's 20 ft-lbs IIRC. The stated less and 1-MOA return-to-zero requires it. I set mine the first time and then make a reference mark on the rail.

Captive bolt feature can make switching between the OEM and the after-market bolts kinda tricky. I couldn't force the HK bolt into one of my Geissele rails until I actually broke the end of the little spring inside the tunnel, that made the bolt captive. Now I can use the HK bolt as well as the Geissele bolt in the said rail, but neither is captive. Honestly I don't really care as long as either stays in place.
The captive feature is to maintain fewer "loose" parts when in the field... a number of advantages to captive small parts. The Strike rail is marketed to both commercial and LE/govt customers.

#10 ·
I think it would be a nice feature for the cross bolt to be captive as well as the bolt itself to be more like the original HK cross bolt.
Captive bolt feature can make switching between the OEM and the after-market bolts kinda tricky. I couldn't force the HK bolt into one of my Geissele rails until I actually broke the end of the little spring inside the tunnel, that made the bolt captive. Now I can use the HK bolt as well as the Geissele bolt in the said rail, but neither is captive. Honestly I don't really care as long as either stays in place.

#14 ·
I just got a 13" version in as well. I'll post up another review in a day or so.

#17 ·
Just received their Crux 15 as well. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend doing reviews!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.