+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buy HK 91 Clone or Parts Kit??

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Default Buy HK 91 Clone or Parts Kit??

I have been a big fan of H&K products for a long time. I own a USP Compact 45 and a USP Tactical 45. I have long marveled the H&K 91, but I haven't ponied up for one yet. Lately, prices on all firearms has been going through the roof, and any hopes of me buying a pre-ban 91 are pretty much gone. I have decided that a well built, tight shooting 91 clone would satisfy me, and I wonder what the most economical route to attain a decent clone would be. I see Adam at HKparts will be offering some more H&K 91 kits for $479 which I could put on a new PTR receiver $239 + a few 922r compliant parts and gunsmith fees to assemble for me. I also saw that Atlantic Firearms offers a JDL PTR91F with a flash hider for $1099.
    I know there is a certain satisfaction in getting a gun built just for you, but if what I really want is a a decent shooting clone at a reasonable price, what is the best way to go? (I am also up for other suggestions). Thanks!

The PTR91 is a decent shooter out of the box. I don't know if they're worth the price I've been seeing in a lot of places lately (PTR website is 1250 MSRP). I've heard there is a pretty long waiting list with all the online distributers. For the best quality, there's nothing like having one built by someone that knows HKs.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I'd buy a PTR 91. Great gun well made & mine has never missed a beat. There are plenty of used ones on various nets that can be purchased today, so waiting is not a problem. They aren't problem childs being sold, just people having problems paying bills. I'm very happy with mine, & I'd put it up against any HK91 out there. GARY N4KVE.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Thanks, Gary. Even the used ones seem to be holding their value. I haven't seen any used ones for much less than $1000. I am just guessing , but the gunsmith fee to assemble the barrel and receiver, and clip and pin the fire control group will probably cost me at least $400 on a kit. Being a newbie to H&K 91 builds, I still don't completely understand what goes into a build, nor do I know which builders are good. I am having an AMD-65 built by Overland Industries, and I have great confidence in Gary, the owner and builder. He is meticulous and thorough, but hasn't built any H&K 91s. Since PTR has a great reputation, I am leaning toward purchasing one of their rifles, but there is a backlog on their stock right now, so I am still undecided which way to go.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

If I would like to make a G3/HK 91 clone (semi ver. only), which PTR I should buy? PTR 91 F,C,KF,KC....?

+ Reply to Thread

Ads