+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HK Steel Shell Deflector

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Default HK Steel Shell Deflector

Has anyone used one of these weld-on deflectors on their HK91s? The clip on deflectors scratch the receiver's finish when you put them on and off, and I was wondering if these might be the way to go. I would like to reload my brass, so a deflector or brass catcher is definitely needed. Thoughts and comments, please!

http://www.robertrtg.com/hkshelldeflector.html
    2nd Ammendment: To prevent a tyrannical government from acting with impunity toward an unarmed populace

HK USP Compact 45, Bill Springfield Trigger Job
    HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P7 NDS trade-in C Grade refinished Mahovsky's Metalife HC
    HK P7 NDS trade-in A Grade

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

That deflector won't do anything to save the brass, it just keeps it from flying as far. If reducing brass damage is your primary goal, you want one of the rubber faced port buffers.

That deflector will require refinishing after it's installed due to the welding, a port buffer will require refinishing if it's ever removed due to the scratches it makes when you remove it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Where are the rubber faced port buffers available? Are those made of metal or plastic? I saw Adam has a brass catcher made of plastic, as well as a metal clip-on deflector. I did not see anything about a rubber face on the clip-on metal deflector.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

This is the metal clip-on port buffer that Adam sells:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewP...5&idcategory=0

It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but you can if you zoom the picture up - it does have a rubber pad in the front of it. It does help, and also will reduce the distance the cases are thrown. Or go to brasscatchers.com for an actual shell catcher. The only problem with them is that they fill up fast.

But many people reload their beat up HK brass. Sure, they'll still have a ding in the side of them after being reloaded, but as long as they're resized properly it won't hurt anything.

I know either stubbicat or tiger888 (I get my cats confused :) ) reload them.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mondovino View Post
    Where are the rubber faced port buffers available?
    I just installed one of these: http://www.robertrtg.com/pofport_carry.html
    Ejected brass strikes a rubber pad instead of the edge of the ejection port. I don't think it scratched the receiver going on and I don't see any reason to remove it.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Just be aware the port buffer REDUCES the damage to the brass... it doesn't eliminate the damage. Primary purpose is to keep the brass from taking 1/4 inch plugs of flesh outta the people around you, generally to the right. :D
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    also will reduce the distance the cases are thrown.
    ?
    My Dads 91 with port buffer goes about 12' further than my PTR with no buffer. The rubber seemed to add a bit of "bounce" to the shell....
    07 FFL/02 SOT

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    ?
    My Dads 91 with port buffer goes about 12' further than my PTR with no buffer. The rubber seemed to add a bit of "bounce" to the shell....
    12' further? Wow, that is odd. I only had it on there until I got it refinished, but it reduced the distance mine were flying by about 6 or 8 feet.

It doesn't really matter now, the range I use most frequently put up screens between shooting benches. Even better, the cases drop down the screen and slide into a bucket at the back of the bench.

Very Senior Member

I have one of the weld on ones-got added when Ghillie Bear did my build- and it seems to save the brass some what. The dents aren't as bad. At least I can get a few more reloads out of them.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote: "My Dads 91 with port buffer goes about 12' further than my PTR with no buffer. The rubber seemed to add a bit of "bounce" to the shell.... "

Either the buffer is installed incorrectly or your PTR is under ejecting...

When we sold the port buffers in Chantilly in the eighties we advised the customers that it was considered a permanent install. Once it is on, why ever take it off?

We also told them that the buffer was not designed to limit brass damage, but to limit flight distance.

If you are reloading, there is no problem using the brass from a 91 or 93 once full length resized. You may not get a dozen uses out of them however.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread

Links