+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: questions about Ptr-91 Break in

Default questions about Ptr-91 Break in

Well i just paid her off it was 1200.00 but worth it i could not wait for the new .308 Hk Rifle to come out. I was wondering if there is a special break in procedure i should follow since this is my first non gas piston rifle. Also i know i should stay away from some ammo and was going to buy some from sportmans guide the S&b green box stuff if its any good. Thanks and sorry for sounding like a newbie but like i said this is my first non gas piston rifle and i really only collect old Nazi rifles.

thanks friends

EDIT scratch the S&b its corrosive. I wanted to shoot brass but i guess i will try the Wolf it worked good on my Old AK. I Want to stick with brass though i learned that the hard way with my mausers.
    Last edited by TagDerWehrmacht; 09-28-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Very Senior Member

My suggestion, start out with some commercial Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, or something from their "approved" list. Then move on to other ammunition. This way, if you encounter any problems, you will know that it is the rifle and not the ammunition.
    A/3/75 85-86
    USAITC 86-88

Quote Originally Posted by Flesh Thorn View Post
    My suggestion, start out with some commercial Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, or something from their "approved" list. Then move on to other ammunition. This way, if you encounter any problems, you will know that it is the rifle and not the ammunition.
    Thank you all i know is it is a AW59xx it should be here this week. I had to buy a primary weapons systems muzzle brake/compensator to make it legal to take to ny and a Fixed stock. Damn the muzzle break was expensive! Hope it was worth the money. I have a Cousin in the Bundeswehr and he recommended the Ptr to me i also have all of his old gear he gave me for free!

Unrepentant HKHolic

The PWS brake is very good from what I understand. Silver Bear works very well in mine. I have had no problems shooting Steel Case ammo so far, but I am going to keep a couple of extra extractors and springs around, just in case. I would also suggest using the approved ammo for the first hundred rounds. It might be costly, but if it has a failure with that ammo, then you can send it back for repair or replacement and it should be hassle free. Good luck and have fun.
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, them dang olí HKs, man, talkin' bout SUH-WEET, man, dang ol' point and click, baby, just, just, dang ol' awesome, man.

Quote Originally Posted by jeray View Post
    The PWS brake is very good from what I understand. Silver Bear works very well in mine. I have had no problems shooting Steel Case ammo so far, but I am going to keep a couple of extra extractors and springs around, just in case. I would also suggest using the approved ammo for the first hundred rounds. It might be costly, but if it has a failure with that ammo, then you can send it back for repair or replacement and it should be hassle free. Good luck and have fun.
    Thanks yes i guess i will do exactly that. I paid 100.00 for the PWS brake so i hope it is good!

Unrepentant HKHolic

If you get a HK Heavy Rubber buttpad and either a German or US made heavy recoil buffer, it should be a real pussycat, especially since you already got the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by jeray View Post
    If you get a HK Heavy Rubber buttpad and either a German or US made heavy recoil buffer, it should be a real pussycat, especially since you already got the brake.
    I probably will do that not that i dont like recoil but i should stay on target better, i ended up getting the carbine 16" ptr with the rails this is going to be my SHTF rifle. My remington 673 kills my arm so it will be a nice change! lol

Thank you again!

PTR Technical Info Page (ammunition provisos on the right):

http://www.ptr91.com/techinfo.html

JLD Letter on Break-In Procedure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24585904@N07/3593457587/

Discussion Thread on Break-In:

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...ight=ptr+break

Quote Originally Posted by oldsmobile98 View Post
    PTR Technical Info Page (ammunition provisos on the right):

http://www.ptr91.com/techinfo.html

JLD Letter on Break-In Procedure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24585904@N07/3593457587/

Discussion Thread on Break-In:

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...ight=ptr+break
    Great just what i was looking for thank you!

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by TagDerWehrmacht View Post
    I Want to stick with brass though i learned that the hard way with my mausers.
    What do you mean? The Germans used plenty of steel cartridges in their Mausers. Of all the Mausers I have had and still do, the steel hasn't made one bit of difference. The guns looked almost like the day they were made. 80% of all the WW2 surplus 8mm ammo I have run across has been steel cased. After the war, there were millions of rounds of 8mm made in brass again, but during the war it was almost ALL steel.... and corrosive.

Only difference was they knew how to clean their guns.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links