+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Century C93 Sporter Review w/ pics

Very Senior Member

Default Century C93 Sporter Review w/ pics

Keep in mind, this is my own review in my own format. It may not be what you are used to, but it is what it is.

Century C93 Sporter (HK 93 Clone) review

First off, I would like to thank AIM Surplus (www.aimsurplus.com) for having excellent customer service and fast shipping, as well as providing a great deal on this weapon. I had caught wind of the C93 sporter via a forum and began to look for vendors that had them in stock. AIM had them, but priced at $799.99. No thanks. I then found one at a different vendor for $699.99, however it did NOT include the second magazine or the bayonet and scabbard. I decided to wait and find a good deal w/ all the accessories. The next day I saw the C93 sporter had been reduced in price from $799 to $599 on AIM, so I promptly placed my order. I phoned AIM to check and see why the cost reduction, and the fellow told me that they were passing on savings to the customer since their vendor for the firearm had announced a sale on them. Anyhow, big +1 to AIM.

On to the review. I would just like to start by saying that this is my first Hk style rifle that uses the delayed roller locking system. So I will be asking some questions during this in hopes that I can get some answers, as well as writing about the firearm. You will have to excuse my ignorance in some aspects of this rifle in advance. I also have not had a chance to fire this rifle yet, but will update this post with the results once I get a chance to blast it.

The rifle came from AIM with 2 40 round aluminum magazines and a bayonet and scabbard. From doing research on the C93 sporter, I have discovered that they are most likely using Malaysian parts kits, and that there are probably 2 different companies doing the actual builds for Century. Allied Armament is supposedly one of those companies, and has from what I have read produced the better builds. The receiver is supposedly Special Weapons (TB) and Hesse (good god no!) and the barrels are either Rim Country, or Green Mountain. I have not been able to find out which is actually producing the barrels, or who is really doing the receivers and the difference between the two.

On to the goods. Build quality appears to be pretty darn good. The rifle is put together well. All the parts and pieces fit together tight and snug, and it functions as I would expect it to. My particular rifle has been parkerized, and the end result is great. The cocking tube lines up and the sights are straight. The furniture has been sand blasted and painted, and while adequate, really looks awful and the paint has a funny texture to it. That being said, itís just furniture and I donít mind the looks of it, as it does the job. The front hand guard has a heat shield integrated into it, and is of the wide type to accommodate a bipod.

The welds are a little messy, but seem to do the job well. I donít have a real Hk rifle to compare to, but I have seen many pictures of the real deal and can tell that Hk obviously does a way better job with the welds, but that being said itís cosmetically pleasing and not really a big deal. The bolt gap was tight, at about .006Ē, but ďin specĒ. However, I would not expect a bigger gap from used parts. Either way, adding some +4 rollers can bring it out some.

Aside from the fit and finish, the magazine fits into the receiver nice and tight. There is absolutely NO wobble side to side, or front to back. Itís a very tight fit, and I am very pleased with it. Some people have had some wobble issues, but mine does not have any.

The 40 round aluminum magazines are in real good shape. One mag has some wear on it, and what not, but appears to lock and function correctly. The other mag looks brand new. That being said, the rifle looks funny with the 40 round magazine, and overall I do not care for them. When fully loaded, they add a considerable amount of weight to the rifle. I will probably toss these ones into the range box and pick up some steel 20 or 30 round magazines if I can find them.

Disassembly was easy. The rear stock pin was tight, but not too tight. I could push it out easily. The rear stock came off with no problems. Early reports were the stock was extremely tight, so tight that some people had to use a rubber mallet to beat it off or a vise. In my case, it came right off. Same with the front forend. The rear furniture was dirty, and has some leftover sand and crud from the refinishing process. The front furniture was fine.

When I broke it down to clean it I noticed that the inside of the receiver was full of crud. The rifle was not lubricated and overall quite dirty. The rear sight was full of some nasty grease/cosmoline type material, but cleaned up fine. The bolt, carrier, and receiver all cleaned up nicely. I wish I could say the same for the barrel. My rifle was obviously test fired (some claim they are not, mine definitely was!) and Iím pretty sure they used the dirtiest ammo they could find. I spent a solid hour cleaning out the bore. Once I cleaned the carbon up, there was a ton of copper that was still left inside. I used Sweets 7.62 to dissolve that, and the barrel cleaned up nicely afterwards. I lubricated it lightly, and put the gun back together.

The plastic lower is cheap and I believe is not original HK. Neither are the trigger/hammer components. The lower fits nicely, but has a bit of front to back wobble. Do most of these rifles, or HK rifles, have a lower that wobbles a bit? If not, where can I obtain an HK lower that will fit correctly and not wobble? The front furniture also has a slight wobble to it, but nothing major.

If your looking for an Hk 93 rifle, and donít want to spend the ridiculous amounts of money the real thing demands, then by all means by one of these. If you have the real deal and donít like to shoot it much because of the rarity, then buy one of these. If you want a good all around ďbattle rifleĒ then buy one of these. You canít go wrong, especially for $599.99, which is what they are priced at the time of this writing.

Any questions? IM me here or post in this thread. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by ClearDark; 10-19-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Very Senior Member

And a couple questions in general about the rifle... what are the vertical marks machined into the bolt for? And on the rear sight, I know your supposed to use hemostats or needle nose pliers to adjust for elevation, but will turning the drum clockwise raise or lower bullet impact? Im assuming clockwise would move the drum itself up, and cause impact to drop? Seems basic but I cant get my head around it. All the sighting instructions seem to assume the shooter knows. Just curious what way to turn the drum to raise impact as most of these shoot low from the factory. Also, should I sight and shoot it on #2? I find the "open notch" to be worthless. Can't get a good sight picture, and the glare usually kills it anyways.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by ClearDark; 10-19-2009 at 04:37 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment

You are pretty much correct about most of what you observed. I personally would be most worried about the small bolt gap, the +4 rollers might help you. I think the vertical notchs on the bolt carrier are a forward assist, if the round does not go all the way into battery, push forward with your finger on the grooves to snap the bolt in. I agree with you about the open notch sight, its worthless to me, I always use the 2 setting. Some HK's have a small wobble in the lower and forearm, no big deal. An HK lower might tighten it up, but then you have to worry about US parts compliance since that lower is US made. It looks a little weird with the repainted stock and forearm and the plain lower.
    Last edited by Liquidous; 10-19-2009 at 04:54 AM.
    HK's
    Mulitple Caliber Pistol Prototype Mark 1, SL8/G36 CQB, HK91 A3, HK93 A3, HK94/TSC MP5-N A3 SBR, HK USP .40, HK P9S 9mm, HK P7 PSP 9mm, HK VP70Z 9mm, HK4 All 4 Calibers, HK Benelli M1 Super 90, HK P2A1 Flare Gun, HK EFL
    Others
    Walther P38 9mm, Webley MK VI .455, CZ52 7.62x25 Tok, CZ70 .32ACP, Radom P-64 9x18 Mak, Norinco SKS Sporter 7.62x39mm

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidous View Post
    You are pretty much correct about most of what you observed. I personally would be most worried about the small bolt gap, the +4 rollers might help you. I think the vertical notchs on the bolt carrier are a forward assist, if the round does not go all the way into battery, push forward with your finger on the grooves to snap the bolt in. I agree with you about the open notch sight, its worthless to me, I always use the 2 setting. Some HK's have a small wobble in the lower and forearm, no big deal. An HK lower might tighten it up, but then you have to worry about US parts compliance since that lower is US made. It looks a little weird with the repainted stock and forearm and the plain lower.
    Thanks for that. The bolt gap does have me concerned, but I expected to have a tight gap. From everything I have read, the only way to really go about fixing it "Correctly" is to have the barrel repressed. I imagine that once the barrel is pressed, they toss in whatever bolt and carrier and call it good. Thats not the way it should be done, but if it was truly correct, im sure the price tag would far exceed $599.99. I am going to add the +4 rollers, and see what the gap ends up being. If it's in the "sweet spot" I will no doubt leave it, as I doubt this will get fired much at all.

The lower does seem to have a different shade of color compared to the other furniture. The lower is greyish, while the furniture is black. Either way the flash appeared to make it worse, but it doesn't look as bad in person. Still, it's obviously a cheap lower but im sure will do the job fine. Im not an Hk perfectionist, thats for sure.

My C93 lower is the same. I didn't like it. Too cheap.

I have one on the way. CC has been billed, so I hope the shipping won't take too long. I love gambling, so I can't wait to see what sort of crap shoot I'm in for here!
    Let us know how it shoots when you get a chance.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I believe the plastic lower is made by one of TB's companies. If you replace it with a real HK metal lower with a US pistol grip, your count will still be correct. The "groove" on both sides looks nice & square, so a collapsible stock should fit well. If the builder had installed the barrel in the correct spot when the gun was built, the headspacing would be better. .018" is optimum. My JLD with 3 different used bolt/carrier groups from different countries all measure .018. Still .008" is better than the .005" that I have seen. Were the welds finished where the back of the trunion meets the front of the grooves? I've seen them both ways. Also look on that long white label you show & please tell me if the gun was inspected by M Beaulieu. Hope it shoots fine, & thanks for the report. GARY N4KVE
    Last edited by N4KVE; 10-19-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    I believe the plastic lower is made by one of TB's companies. If you replace it with a real HK metal lower with a US pistol grip, your count will still be correct. The "groove" on both sides looks nice & square, so a collapsible stock should fit well. If the builder had installed the barrel in the correctl spot when the gun was built, the headspacing would be better. .018" is optimum. My JLD with 3 different used bolt/carrier groups from different countries all measure .018. Still .008" is better than the .005" that I have seen. Were the welds finished where the back of the trunion meets the front of the grooves? I've seen them both ways. Also look on that long white label you show & please tell me if the gun was inspected bu M Beaulieu. Hope it shoots fine, & thanks for the report. GARY N4KVE
    Gary,

Im not exactly sure if the welds were finished. I looked at the end of that receiver rail, and near the front of the gun I can see an open slot, with what looks to be some welding there as well, kind of above the opening. I will take a picture of it and you can tell me if it was finished or not.

As for the metal lowers, any idea where I can get one? It's my understanding that they will need to be clipped and pinned to fit the semi auto shelf on the receiver. I have seen HK94 lowers that are clipped and pinned. Will those type of lowers fit my gun? The plastic lower that is on it now seems to do the job, but it sure is cheap looking and feels flimsy.

I have ordered some +4 rollers to open the gap a bit. Im not impressed with the tight gap, but I expected it when I ordered the firearm. I would like to note at this time that I typo'd the original bolt gap. It's actually .006" not .008", my mistake. I have updated my original post above.

As far as the white tag, I did look at it last night and noticed a name M Beaulieu as the inspector. That being said, I have my doubts that this was even inspected properly. No doubt Beaulieu took a look at it, tested function, and sent it out for shipment. Otherwise it would go back due to the bolt gap.
    Last edited by ClearDark; 10-19-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

You see the metal lowers on the board for sale here. The lower ears around the holes are clipped off, so they will fit on the shelf. Make sure you get the safety selector also, as the metal & plastic ones are different. I sometimes wonder what M. Beaulieu does to earn his pay. He was the inspector who signed off on all the Century Golani's I've seen, & we know what a cluster f**k they turned out to be. Now he inspects all these 93's. If your headspacing is now .006" it will go a bit lower with the first 100 shots or so, as the gun settles in. I'd love to buy one of these guns, especially with the price dropping, but I'd have to see some with a boltgap of at least .015" before I commit. GARY N4KVE

Very Senior Member

I dont blame you there. I suspect my bolt gap will settle at .004" or so once I have some rounds through it. I know the +4 rollers are not really the correct way to solve the bolt gap issues, however I intend to install them anyways. That should bring my bolt gap up into the .014" range or so, maybe a little less after firing.

The one good thing about these rifles are they are most likely not being built be Century. I think for what it is, the rifle is still a good deal, even at $599.99 and would recommend everyone pick one up if they can swing it. With Hk being sue happy, I don't expect these to hang around forever.
    Last edited by ClearDark; 10-19-2009 at 05:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links