+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Vector (Yes, Vector) V93 and Century C93 Report/Comparison (Lots of Pics)

Unrepentant HKHolic

Default My New Vector (Yes, Vector) V93 and Century C93 Report/Comparison (Lots of Pics)

I picked up my new Vector V93 yesterday. It is beautiful. Well real pretty anyway. I ordered this thing through some alternate Vector company (Companion) about 6-8 months ago and just forgot about it till my dealer called me up a couple of weeks ago and said that they had called, with notice to ship if the order was still "on". So I told him to get it for me.

It came in a regular cardboard box and with one of the HK 33 mags all nice and refinished. And a V53/93 owner's manual.

The first thing I noticed was the furniture. It felt as though it had been sand blasted. My dealer had mentioned this to me previously but I just assumed it was used (from a 33 kit) and he was exagerating. He was not. It feels weird. But hey, I don't really care cause I have a 33 kit with furniture that feels normal. I can use that if I want.

Next, I decided to compare it to the C93. Looks like the Century version is about 1/2" longer. The Vector/Companion guys claimed that they still had some Cold Hammer Forged German barrels laying around so that's what they were using on this batch of V93s. That would be cool, and maybe it's the case.

All pictures have V93 on top and C93 on bottom

First, the complete rifles. The C93 has a carry handle and two position grip. The V93 has the contoured HK33 grip with S-U-O, like the Malaysian lowers sold at Apex.

Stocks. The look the same:

Trigger packs. This is the funny part. The V93 came with a G3 ejector lever. But this photo was taken after I installed the 33 ejector for shooting.:

Receivers, the V93 has a paddle mag release, the C93 does not. The welds on the V93 look nicer:

Both have full auto carriers. The C93 has stamps on it making it look like HK parts from the kit. There are no proof stamps on the V93 parts:

Barrel ends. Both have what appear to be the genuine HK flash suppressor. But the Vector doesn't appear to have it pressed on as far, and there is no little retention spring/pin in the slot. maybe it was too tight.
    Last edited by retrodog; 02-09-2010 at 02:04 AM.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Range Report

So I took them off to the range. I put about 30 rnds through the C93 just to make sure it was still working well. It was. This was a mix of Wolf and Fed XM193. Both fired fine with no problems at all.

I then moved on to the V93. The second shot resulted in a FTE. So I cleared it and started again. About three shots and then another FTE, then another four shots and an FTE.

When clearing the FTEs I pulled the charge handle back and locked it to the rear, then noticed that the empty case was sitting in the bolt head fully mounted. This should be impossible. I had to reach in there with my finger and break it loose. So that got me thinking about "Hey, where the hell is the ejector lever tip at???". I looked in there an saw it but it was recessed down and not fully up in the bolt head channel like it was supposed to be.

At this point I was thinking, "Aw crap, those Yahoos put a G3 ejector lever in this gun." I pulled it apart and sure enough... they had done that exact thing. I just started laughing. Glad I took my spare parts kit with me today.

I fished around in my parts and found an HK53 ejector lever and installed it. Then I tried every type of ammo I had with me. They all worked great. All was good in the world again. :)

Well it cost about $1,200, but it seems like a very nice rifle... once you got the correct ejector lever installed. :D

Chazzar

cool, nice pics & range report Retro

Very Senior Member

I have to ask, what is your final opinion, would you recommend to a friend buying a gun to get the Century gun or the Vector gun?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Jwmohr View Post
    I have to ask, what is your final opinion, would you recommend to a friend buying a gun to get the Century gun or the Vector gun?
    I don't have a "final opinion" quite yet. I have some more shooting to do.

And in all honesty, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to answer that question with a great degree of certainty. Century seems to be too inconsistent. While the rifle that I have seems to be built pretty well, I've heard about several others that are quite problematic. My factory HK A3 stock won't fit on the C93, but it will fit on the Vector. It's really tight on the V93 and the rails widen a bit as you retract them, implying that the V93 is a little bit wider than an actual HK. But it will still work.

The HK has the little cuts at the front of the rail grooves welded up, but not welded to the trunion. The C93 has the front part welded to the trunion but the didn't weld up the cut area.

The C93 has the front of the receiver (under the front handguard) entirely welded to the trunion around the entire curvature. The V93 does not.

I paid about $900 for my C93, out the door. The V93 was $1,200. The C93 seems to be built pretty well but if I wanted to get something as close to an HK93 as possible without spending too much, I'd probably opt for the Vector.

I still think the C93 is a good gun though, and seems to be a very good shooter.

Unrepentant HKHolic

I talked to Scott at Companion/Vector today. He said that he was going to ship me the correct ejector lever. He also offered to let me try some different furniture, as the stuff that came on the gun feels like it was sand blasted. Gotta love good support like that.

Very Senior Member

Thanks for the write up and pics Retro!
    Join the NRA and support your 2nd Amendment Rights

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Hey Retro, Got a # or http for Companion?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Luke 11:21
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Supporting Vendor

If any of the HK members are looking for a V93 we have a few in stock and offer discounts for Pro members.

Nice comparison report.

I also got to fire my C93 today(1st time since purchase). It worked perfectly, although I was only able to fire one 40 rounder(w/reloads) since they are a pistol range. Well, it works :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links