+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning Rust Removal Home Remedy Help?Vinegar

Default Cleaning Rust Removal Home Remedy Help?Vinegar

I have looking around for a easy rust removal on a Vector receiver and find that Vinegar 5% works great. But my question is what to use to neutralize after soaking? Just trying some new things,I have a bead blaster but wanting info.for other parts I may not want to sand blast.Anybody got the answer or anyways you do light to heavy rust removal with solutions? How to on fighting rust.
    Last edited by hunter2005; 02-18-2010 at 11:30 PM.

CLR works pretty good on light surface rust.. Just dilute partially and use some spray lube to displace the moisture after rinsing all of the CLR off. Keep it well oiled after that and you shouldn't get rust back on it.

I thought about The Works shower cleaner and looked at CLR when I went to get the Vinegar. Was thinking might be to strong. Found out about Vinegar on the web, soaked in a old cooking pot . Worked really good removing light rust.Thought about soaking in lacquer thinner then oil bath.Thanks for input. I always like hearing about new ways to solve problems.

Very Senior Member

Default Re: Cleaning Rust Removal Home Remedy Help?Vinegar

Rust does not create more rust. You needn't be overly concerned about removing it all. Oil laden rust should protect the base metal quite well.

Using a phosphoric acid mixture like naval jelly or Ospho will convert the rusted steel into a compact, protective iron phosphate salt. As long as the parts don't mate or slide, that is the best solution.

Is the rust in question in the engraving? If it is, once clean, you can apply a color or clear paint (nail polish) into the grooves to protect it.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    Using a phosphoric acid mixture like naval jelly or Ospho will convert the rusted steel into a compact, protective iron phosphate salt.

Ah... but would that affect the metal in any way when considering you want a clean, bare surface for something like DuraCoat, or a light park before DuraCoating... ?
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Very Senior Member

Duracoat is a surface coating, similar to paint. If it will adhere to their own zinc phosphate pretreatment, it should work well over the phosphated steel from naval jelly. But the corrosion resistance from phosphating is not needed with an impermeable coating. If you are going to coat the surface, the most important factor is to remove the rust and all traces of lubricants and contaminants. Do not use a primer, like Ospho, as it will only impair the adhesion of a coatings like Duracoat.

Also, it sounds like the Duracoat is probably a urethane film, so be careful with ventilation. They do not have MSDS or other safety data online, so I'd request these before ordering.
    Even short duration skin or respiratory exposure to isocyanates in unreacted urethane coatings can cause permanent sensitivity to things like polyurethane foam seating in certain individuals.

I have never used the product, but have occupational safety experience with similar chemicals.

I hear this stuff works good...

http://www.shellac.net/DeCorroder.html

+ Reply to Thread

Links