+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HK 416 D Tactical Rimfire: The Good & Bad

H&K Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by seven.sixtwo View Post
    Great write up. Chop. What is the action on this thing? Simple blow back just like the 10/22? Does it get as dirty as the 10/22? (Dwill?)
    Yes, simple blowback.

Quote Originally Posted by SDduc996 View Post
    I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap the barrel altogether with another barrel?
    I have been thinking the same thing. I haven't taken it fully apart yet, but it looks like the barrel insert will remove from the back and the exterior sleeve from the front. That being the case, you could machine a heavy profile barrel from a blank (or other take-off) to fit... with some receiver mods I am sure. But once done, I think you'd have quite a nice little rimfire tack driver.

As with all the various "tactical" rimfires, the barrels are generally cheap which is why they have crap for accuracy.
    Dakota Tactical (07/C2)
    H&K Certified Armorer - USP, MP5, HK416, UMP, G36, BTG

www.dakotatactical.com
    www.facebook.com/DakotaTactical
    twitter.com/DakotaTactical
    youtube.com/DakotaTactical
    instagram.com/DakotaTactical

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~ Bertrand Russell

Desperately Needs Treatment

Are the iron sights near to the same quality as HK 416 sights? Also can you remove the rear drum sight base and put an actual HK base on it? I was planning to buy a set, but the sights go for $300 and I could just buy one of these .22's and have the sights and a whole gun for a little more money.
    HK's
    Mulitple Caliber Pistol Prototype Mark 1, SL8/G36 CQB, HK91 A3, HK93 A3, HK94/TSC MP5-N A3 SBR, HK USP .40, HK P9S 9mm, HK P7 PSP 9mm, HK VP70Z 9mm, HK4 All 4 Calibers, HK Benelli M1 Super 90, HK P2A1 Flare Gun, HK EFL
    Others
    Walther P38 9mm, Webley MK VI .455, CZ52 7.62x25 Tok, CZ70 .32ACP, Radom P-64 9x18 Mak, Norinco SKS Sporter 7.62x39mm

Very Senior Member

Sorry for high jacking.

Nice review Chop I got mine yesterday from Adam also. Took it out today with Federal 550 pack had 4 FTF all ammo related. Didn't check for accuracy.

Update just cleaned rifle not that hard you can pull the internals out. Used break clean looks like new again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK 416 D Tactical Rimfire: The Good & Bad-416-22-.jpg  
    Last edited by KR190; 09-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SDduc996 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks Joe. My boy is DEFINITELY getting one of these! He's only 14 months old right now, but I figure it'll be nice and broken in for him when he's ready.
    I was thinking the same thing. My boy is 3. The adjustable stock would make a kid friendly LOP - better than cutting a 10/22 stock.
    Will fly for food.....& HK's

H&K Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidous View Post
    Are the iron sights near to the same quality as HK 416 sights? Also can you remove the rear drum sight base and put an actual HK base on it? I was planning to buy a set, but the sights go for $300 and I could just buy one of these .22's and have the sights and a whole gun for a little more money.
    Never handled the 416 sights so I don't know. The front sight appears to be aluminum or a very light-weight steel... seems durable enough for "normal" use. The rear sight base is also the same material. An MP5 drum-base fits right on. The windage screw and locking screw are different but the 416-22 base could easily be re-tapped to the correct size if you'd rather use the MP5 stuff... putting on an MP5 drum/base would be a VERY worthwhile enhancement as the 416-22 elevation adjustment is fairly crappy IMO. You'll also need to get a longer detent bearing spring or stuff a small block in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by KR190 View Post
    Sorry for high jacking.

Nice review Chop I got mine yesterday from Adam also. Took it out today with Federal 550 pack had 4 FTF all ammo related. Didn't check for accuracy.

Update just cleaned rifle not that hard you can pull the internals out. Used break clean looks like new again.
    Hijack away!!! I was hoping that by starting this thread, it would generate a more technical discussion. I'm glad you posted a photo of the internals removed... confirmed my belief that the barrel came out from the rear. I'm going to have to get some time to pull mine out... I REALLY would like to do a barrel upgrade. Aside from a function BHO button (which looks like it could be done), the only real weakness that I can see is the barrel.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

OK kid, when you gonna turn one of these into a G36???

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    OK kid, when you gonna turn one of these into a G36???
    LOL
    PEW PEW PEW

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by localizer11 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. My boy is 3. The adjustable stock would make a kid friendly LOP - better than cutting a 10/22 stock.
    Exactly!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Joe, once I saw you post this, I knew your wheels were churning. Nice review! Hoping to pick one up soon...after I get my new motorcycle this week.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by KR190 View Post
    Sorry for high jacking.

Very interesting receiver construction. That's much fancier/more complex than 10/22 construction, but I guess that's why it's more than twice the price. But if it is easier to clean and more reliable than the 10/22 it is worth it.
    I don't think the bbl looks too bad for what it is. This is only 22 LR Chop, I wonder if a heavy bbl will make much difference, I think it's really on the edge of diminishing returns, it's never going to be a PSG-1! LOL
    I have a new 10/22 with heavy bbl and a very old Marlin 22 my grandfather gave me with a pretty light bbl and I don't see any difference in accuracy that I can discern.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links