+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PORTUGUESE FMP XG3-S

Default PORTUGUESE FMP XG3-S

I just bought a very good condition PORTUGUESE FMP XG3-S (3/89) imported by PARS International yesterday for under a grand. It is in a pre-ban configuration, w/ Hk type flash hider & matching numbers (stock, trigger assy & upper). It has green furniture on it w/ a slim forearm. It does have pretty significant claw mount marks (pretty typical), and some general usage wear, however for a 20+ year old battle rifle it looks great. I already have a surplus Hensoldt Z24 scope w/ claw mount for it, so the claw mount marks are not an issue for me.
    I would think that they would be very well made rifles since they are built on Hk equipment, but I had never seen one before. I have seen Greek SAR3s & 8s, but never a Portuguese G3-S.
    - Where is the best place to pick up a wide green forearm for it? Are these different shades of green furniture?
    - Does anyone else have one?

Last edited by Iceberg; 12-03-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    Silent Service Veteran & still glowing!

Unrepentant HKHolic

The X marked rifles of that vintage are post-89 ban rifles which legally must be 922 compliant. If it's in decent shape it certainly would be worth the price you mentioned.
    I see from your signature line that you bought it??? If so, nice score.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by edman99 View Post
    The X marked rifles of that vintage are post-89 ban rifles which legally must be 922 compliant. If it's in decent shape it certainly would be worth the price you mentioned.
    I see from your signature line that you bought it??? If so, nice score.
    Not entirely true. These guns were in country when an executive order ( not a law) held them from public consumption. They were then stamped "X" to denote this. They are acceptable as is and not subject to 922r. If you put a wide forearm or change the "original configuration" it is then subject to 922r. This applies to the 3-89 series. The 5-89 series were available when the executive order became a law. The 5-89's came with the original furniture to convert it back to "original configuration" and many were sold this way. These guns with the welded brake and thumbhole stock are completely under 922 regs. One thing, these guns may use foreign parts to change them back to "original configuration" as they came originally, but then must remain that way.
    Last edited by U.S. Praetorian; 12-03-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Very nice score bro! Its all about the barrel. If your barrel is still sharp&bright,then you have a nice piece. It looks all matching also, and markings look PORTUGESE. Very nice. Green wide at rtg parts or hkparts.net ENJOY

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    Not entirely true. These guns were in country when an executive order ( not a law) held them from public consumption. They were then stamped "X" to denote this. They are acceptable as is and not subject to 922r. If you put a wide forearm or change the "original configuration" it is then subject to 922r. This applies to the 3-89 series. The 5-89 series were available when the executive order became a law. The 5-89's came with the original furniture to convert it back to "original configuration" and many were sold this way. These guns with the welded brake and thumbhole stock are completely under 922 regs. One thing, these guns may use foreign parts to change them back to "original configuration" as they came originally, but then must remain that way.
    Actually it was not an Executive Order which shut off "assault" weapons from being imported. This is a common internet rumor which has been circulated for so long that it's accepted as being a "fact", but it isn't. President Bush directed the Treasury Department to suspend importation in order for sportability determinations to be conducted for the various firearms at issue. The Treasury Department used their authority to halt importation- no order from the president was involved.
    Many of you may remember that there were two stages to these actions by the Treasury Department- the first announcement spoke of a number of firearms imports halted and the second announcement spoke of additional firearms being added to the first list. The announcement by Marlin Fritzwater, shown below, was the second announcement. He plainly states what happened in the first announcement- the Treasury Departments action stopped imports, NOT an Executive Order.

(This was copied from a Webpage from the Bush Presidential Library. The source link has not worked-page moved- for quite some time)

Statement by Press Secretary Fitzwater on the Suspension of Semiautomatic Weapons Imports
    April 5, 1989

I want to announce an action that the Treasury Department is taking today with regard to suspension of imports of certain semiautomatic weapons. In recently approving a temporary suspension of imports of certain semiautomatic weapons, the President sought to foster a climate in which reasonable, well-intentioned people on all sides of the firearms issue could work out a solution without infringing on the rights of law-abiding hunters and sportsmen. In an effort to ensure that existing laws are being enforced to the fullest extent possible, he ordered the Treasury Department to review the suitability of these weapons for sporting purposes. To date, the Treasury review has disclosed 24 additional types of imported firearms which, by virtue of their general appearance and capabilities, compete directly with those firearms for which import permits were previously suspended. To ensure an orderly and fair review process, the President has authorized the Secretary of the Treasury to expand the temporary import suspension to include these additional 24 types of weapons. This action will accomplish two things. First, those importers whose permits have already been suspended will not suffer a loss of market to importers of similar weapons during the review period. Second, this action will preclude imports of firearms which might later be found unsuitable for sporting purposes. The President believes that by working closely with law enforcement groups, sportsmen, concerned citizen groups, and the Congress, we can reach a solution to these problems.

Note: Marlin Fitzwater read the statement to reporters at 1:32 p.m. in the Briefing Room at the White House.
    Last edited by edman99; 12-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    These guns were in country and... were then stamped "X" to denote this. They are acceptable as is and not subject to 922r.
    True. Acceptable condition included a welded on "muzzle device" which basically covered up the threads and did little else AND the wooden butthole stock. This particular item doesn't appear to be 922r compliant, but COULD have any number of internal US made parts I don't know about.

The 5-89 series were available when the executive order became a law. The 5-89's came with the original furniture to convert it back to "original configuration" and many were sold this way.
    Not that I know of, Bro... I ordered up a bunch from directly from PARS International for customers and none of them came with "original furniture". What would be the point, then? They WANTED to keep these "evil" black rifles out of your grubby paws. We yahoos hadn't figured out at that time that we could COMPLY with the 922r laws and substitute US made parts for the specified number of parts considered to be legal under 922r. That didn't start happening until years later. I believe someone with the handle of WES from Soupbowl Industries was one of the first to start this process on semi AKs.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Soooo.....Is my 3/89 FMP with the original furniture and A2 style flash hider subject to 922r or not ??? This is so confusing !!!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

There's a totally different angle on this subject. The 922 laws affect the importer or assembler of these guns. If you purchase a post ban gun in pre ban configuration, since you didn't import, or convert the gun to it's current form, the gun is fine as it is. However if you purchased the gun with a butthole stock, & YOU converted it to a pistol grip configuration, than you must have the correct number of US parts. So since PTR 91 INC assembles these guns, they must follow the 922 laws. The X on XG3S means post ban. The G3S was the preban version. GARY N4KVE

The whole 922r thing is odd to me; in my dealings with FALs, many people swap out the "butthole" stocks, etc., on the post-ban rifles and then fall under the 922r rules. From everything I've read from a thousand 922r posts online, 922r deals with manufacture, not possession. The original manufacturer/importer would be initially tasked with making the rifle compliant - and if one was to change the configuration as sold, they would be - according to 922r rules - "manufacturing" a firearm, and would therefore have to comply. NOW - this is my big question: if a person was to buy a rifle, originally sold with the old butthole stock, and returned it to it's evil "non-sporting" configuration - by definition "manufacturing" the rifle - and then sold it to yet another owner (without adding the US compliance parts)....wouldn't owner #2 be off the hook if he could prove that owner #1 modified it? Remember, from what I can see, it's manufacture of, not possession of. But who really wants to argue that in front of a judge, or with an ATF agent that has confiscated your rifle? IIRC, there was a post on the FAL board with a scanned letter from an ATF agent detailing some of this. I'll have to look for it again. Am I seeing the manufacture vs. possession thing all wrong?
    Last edited by cjjtulsa; 02-11-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment

I think this very confusion is why nobody has ever been taken to court over a 922r violation. The law as written could be interpreted a few different ways and the way I read it it only applies to manufacturers. IOW, if I bought a rifle not knowing it wasn't compliant, I havent violated the law as it is written and therefore couldn't be charged with anything. Opinions are like aholes though, just wait.
    No douchey list of firearms here, but thanks for checking anyway.

I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Co-witness. The latest "tacticool" feel-good term that gives mall ninjas a hard on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links