+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why should i buy a HK91 clone instead of an AR10 for long distance target shooting?

Desperately Needs Treatment

Owen, I meant the only reason I would buy a 91 over an AR10 for long range shooting was if I owned a sear, so I could also shoot the 91 FA when I wanted to. Other than that, I would definitely go AR10.

Also, a nice AR10 just went up for sale in the long guns section... :)

Very Senior Member

I was where you were (sans selling a .50 BMG) a year and a half ago. I have a Savage 10FP as my tactical .308 machi'ne of long range choice. The AR10 is an awesome platform and is relatively easy to acquire. I think it beats the 91 platform for your question, but for me.....I have been shooting AR's forever and a day via the Army and my own purchases. The AR platform is cool but I wanted something different.

The 91 is just plain sexy to me.....just sayin.
    Join the NRA and support your 2nd Amendment Rights

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

if you truly want an accurate rifle, then i would get a heavy barrel bolt action, like a Rem700

if you want a semi-action rifle that is a DMR - a rifle designed for adequate accuracy (1.5-2 moa?) that can also be used as a battle rifle, then get an accurized HK-clone, or an M1A/M14s.

for the record, i am not much of a fan of DI. it's hot and dirty and not in a good way. the lack of standardization between manufacturers of this platform is a pita also.

jmho

Very Senior Member

Does anyone have accuracy results from an AR 10/ .308 vs an HK 91 at over 500 yds. I'd bet that you'd be suprised. I know the AR's are great at 100-200 yds, but because of the angle in the trunion it debilitates the bullet for long range shooting. Definitely something to investigate.

The HK91 isn't exactly what I think of as a long range precision rifle. It is a battle rifle. The AR platform trumps it in almost every way- trigger, weight, accesory versatility, reliablity with different ammo etc. So to me the only reason to buy a clone 91 over an AR10 would be if you had a sear to make the 91 a blaster host.

Here is a cool 91 a guy on here just got back from TSC

Or if you had some spare ching laying around you could check these out:

Gun, who's 21k is that? Man those things make me drool.

You make a good point. That is a "91" after all. How precise or accurate do you have to be when you can send 200 rds downrange at a time... :)

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    I know this will sound blasphemous but... if you're wanting the more accurate long-distance target shooter, go with the AR-10. They are far more easily accurized than an HK roller-locked rifle, especially since you can just swap out parts as you're tuning it, you just can't do that with an HK type rifle. If you're not getting what you want on the AR, you just change out the barrel or the entire upper. With the HK, you're pretty much stuck with the barrel you have, the only thing you can really change is the trigger setup and the optics.
    Thanks for the replies guys, this seems to be the direction i will go. I know how the roller guns work but i guess i could brush up on exactly what advantages that system offers. It looks like roller guns have no real inherent advantages for precision target shooting, and that question was the purpose of the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by SturmgewehrXXX View Post
    Hk, PTR, SAR8 etc roller locked type of guns are great battle rifles, but if accuracy is your goal perhaps consider a Savage 10FP, or a Rem 700. If faster follow up shots are needed the AR10 platform will win every time. However, keep in mind that the Ar10 platform will heat up quite a bit depending on your ROF. Generally this will result in your groups opening up. At 600 yards, this will make a difference, but again, I guess it depends on what your ultimate goal is with said rifle.
    I agree with everyone that when outright shot performance is key the bolt guns are usually the best option. I had a Remington 700 SPS very recently but it lacked a certain pizazz. The semi auto long guns demand a little more attention, in my opinion.

You bring up a good point about the rate of fire. I remember being annoyed with how hot the 700's barrel would get, i can only imagine how painful it will be on the semi to not send the lead downrange whenever i want.

Thanks again guys, and keep the recommendations coming if i haven't thought of something...

IMHO the most accurate semi autos out there in 308 are (at reasonable costs) the m1a/m14 and the FNAR, I think the FNAR has a slight lead in accuracy out to 1000 yards, but the m1a is more of a battle rifle that is more easily field stripped. It is also more expensive. I think a PTR91f would make a great target shooter too... I would think its capable of being a sub moa rifle at 100 yards. Have you checked out the PTR91-MSG? If we are talking advantages of a roller delayed vs the DI of the ar10 I would say reliability and ruggedness... the hk platform will fire no matter what... The ar10 needs to be kept clean. These are only issues if you are a special forces cobra commander and foresee using this rifle as a MBR when the liberals take over and we are in Civil War! lol

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    I know this will sound blasphemous but... if you're wanting the more accurate long-distance target shooter, go with the AR-10. They are far more easily accurized than an HK roller-locked rifle, especially since you can just swap out parts as you're tuning it, you just can't do that with an HK type rifle. If you're not getting what you want on the AR, you just change out the barrel or the entire upper. With the HK, you're pretty much stuck with the barrel you have, the only thing you can really change is the trigger setup and the optics.
    There you go. Unless you are going to drop coin on PSG go with the AR set up, preferably a piston gun. Many more options, versatility and better accuracy or an M1A super match. Heck, I have a 1903A3 that has been converted to a modified 1903A4 that will blow away a HK91.

Speaking of the remington 700 did anybody catch the story on TV about the saftey issues with these rifles?
    Oh yeah and hk thread content 91 a2 stock semi auto etc....

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

And here is a link to where I got the 21k pic -
    http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...ally-come-home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links