HKPRO Forums banner

Which one should I get???

10K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Squibbits 
#1 ·
...PRT-91 or PTR-91 GI Special Edition?

CDNN has both rifles, but I can't make up my mind.

I need your input and help.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Try and find an earlier JLD built PTR91 from before PTR INC. took over,the build quality is lot closer to an actual HK91. The serial# will start with A#prefix not an AW# prefix. Or just get the G.I. with all the U.S. compliant parts and no HK contract stuff. Get the JLD,you will be much happier. Just my opinion. I just picked another one up"jld ptr91kf" for $900 unfired. It has a 10 flute wilson barrel serial A#528* 91kf with rheinmetall/pof bolt group. Good luck

#4 ·
Having had three PTR rifles, two with the infamous "AW" serial numbers and now, one new G.I. with the GI serial number. I have to say go for the G.I. Model. You have the advantage of KNOWING the history on the gun as well as a good warranty. I was LUCKY in that both my "AW" guns were below the approximate AW1600 serial where the barrels STOPPED shooting anything but American Eagle or other new, commercially made ammo. These two shot anything I ever tried in them without a hiccup, while a good friend's gun numbered around AW37XX would CHOKE ON ANYTHING not new and in .308 caliber. Every JLD made gun I have seen or tried has been just like a HK in shooting ANYTHING fed to them. I agree completely with tcr39 about the JLD guns, but think that PTR has FINALLY gotten things right with the new G.I.Model. Knowing they had ammo compatibility troubles and NOT allowing these troubles to be "officially" recognized for what they were, then doing NOTHING to help owners cure them is inexcusable. The G.I. model corrects all the flaws in their guns but does nothing to help the thousands stuck with an "AW" gun that won't shoot surplus ammo. There is a post on this site recently (sometime in the last couple months)stating that all the NEW PTR built guns have the new model barrel and WILL reliably fire ANY ammo used. This is according to PTR Company spokespeople at the recent SHOT SHOW.
I recently sold the PTR karbine I had and got a new G.I. to replace it. This gun has (I was VERY surprised by this!!), a Rhinemetal bolt carrier with a PTR (US made) bolt head. Also most (if not ALL) of the trigger pack parts are US made and the stock sets appear to be surplus (undoubtedly POF). This allows you to change to ANY stock set you want and still stay within the 922r rules. THOSE WOOD STOCK/HAND-GUARD SETS AT RTG or CTD SURE LOOK GOOD ON THE G.I. GUNS!!!
Having had three actual HK's (2 HK91's and a HK93) back in the Golden Eighties, I find the quality and finish on ALL the PTR's, JLD made or PTR91 made is fairly close to, or even equal to those HK pieces I once owned. The PTR-F, Standard Rifle, serial AW12XX I still have (along with the G.I.) is slightly more accurate than the two original HK91's I once had, but not by much. It also doesn't have the same "balance" of the original 91's since it's barrel is a "heavy barrel" contour. To me, these are slightly front heavy (NOT A REAL PROBLEM), but the accuracy level makes up for this.
My G.I. has the original HK G3/91 barrel contour and feels (to ME) more balanced, exactly like the old HK 91's did. It shoots (GROUPS) more closely in size, to the heavy barreled PTR rifle than my old HK's did back in the day. ANY of these guns, JLD made or PTR made will serve you VERY WELL!
If you can find a GOOD condition JLD gun and that's what you want, GO FOR IT!! The major advantage of a NEW gun is a warranty, IMO. If in the PTR range you can get a gun with a serial BELOW AW1500-1600??, it also SHOULD shoot anything you want. I can attest to the fact that the new G.I.'s WILL SHOOT ANYTHING!! (as will MANY online reviews!)
I don't think you could go wrong with a new PTR (I got all of mine from CDNN) but if you want to be able to shoot ANY ammo you have/find (Military Surplus), by all means get a G.I. model.
Both of my guns shoot DAG German "Battle Pack" ammo I got from CTD really well, and very accurately, as well as also liking Radway Green British surplus. I have yet to experience a single feed/fire/extract problem with any of my PTR products (LOTS of rounds downrange).
You will undoubtedly have to browse the used gun market for a JLD model but, but they are GREAT guns. I just happen to love the guns I have owned by PTR. I looked at 2 used JLD guns before buying the G.I. and they were priced higher than the new PTR's, GI or Standard Models. Just be AWARE that the "AW" guns will PROBABLY not shoot surplus well (except Lake City surplus) and PTR says it's due to the AMMO!
I'm a former licensed gunsmith (retired due to health reasons) and did a nice trigger job on my two AW guns, but (lets hear some other opinions/feedback on this) the G.I. with it's US built trigger group actually feels almost their equal in smoothness and pull weight.
Sorry for being prejudiced but I don't think, dollar for dollar, you can do better than a NEW G.I. model at present. With HK parts being priced where they are now, and STILL LEGAL (almost everywhere), these are some sweet shooting and economical guns.
GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DO!!

#6 ·
Thank you all.

I think I will get GI Special Edition from CDNN. Wood furniture at RTG looks really cool. I reload, so I will get a port buffer from RTG too.

"elmfg.com" sells solid brass catchers for HK/HK clones rifles, but I am not sure if I can use a port buffer with a solid brass catcher. Probably not:
http://elmfg.com/pics/104.jpg

I already have two FAL's (STG 58 and Imbel), but I REALLY like HK MBR platform. Not that I need another rifle...but...you know!

#8 ·
Well, I just ordered PTR-91 GI Special Edition from CDNN with 5 HK91 20rd Aluminum Mags 2 Pack w/Pouch.

OMG, they hit my Credit Card in less than 5 minutes: $957.92, shipped to my FFL.

I've made another phone call, this time with robertrtg.com.

$$$ damage: $90.90 for Wood furniture, Port Buffer and 10 mags, sh/h included.

Grand Total Pocket Damage: $1,048.82.

Few weeks ago I promised my wife that during this Lenten season I would give up on buying toys, but i failed again!

#10 ·
I'm sorry. I know this is too late for you, but for anyone else interested in a GI, Atlantic Firearms gives a discount to HKPro members on them... just e-mail them with your username and they will give you the discounted price.

I'm waiting for PTR to come out with something else. I like the GI, but I want one in black.

#11 ·
AMEN to that one hansellhd!! I have both and HEARTILY AGREE WITH YOU!!
I just wish I had kept my two original HK91's and my Belgian FAL back in the mid-eighties.
I feel quite satisfied with the two PTR's I now own (91F and G.I.) as well as the DSA STG58. (I think the STG actually shoots better groups than my Belgian gun did!). I am thankful to be able to own these guns in the current political quagmire and just hope future generations of shooters will enjoy the same privileges!
as in past posts/replies we seem to both agree on many things!

#18 ·
BIG PLUS ON THE DISCO hansellhd!!

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL picture of your collection (or part of it)!!
We must keep adding to our collections while we can still LEGALLY DO SO!!
Tonights Evening News almost got my TV pitched out the back door and into the yard!!! Lots of ANTI-GUNNERS and the BRADY BUNCH ( even HIMSELF) ranting about "ban this", "who NEEDS this" (pic of magazine), ect.
"THEY" are never going to stop the campaign to ultimately "BAN ALL GUNS" like most of Europe, England and just about everywhere else, EXCEPT HERE!! Then we'll be SUBJECTS instead of CITIZENS!!
Every one was scared before, and immediately after the '08 election and so far nothing much has happened. We must beware now because with 3 active wars and a LOT of broken campaign promises, the MAN needs some really big BONE to throw to the ANTI's preparing for 2012!
(SORRY about the sermon, fellas!!)
Again, BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION PHOTO!!

#23 ·
Thank you hansellhd.

BTW, is it possible to disassemble the original green butstock? It appears to be fixed. I got me a very nice wood furniture for this rifle. I've removed two screws, but I could not remove the backlate, buffer, recoil rod spring and guide ring from the plastic green butstock. I am new to this rifle, so any help is geately appreciated. Thanks.

#24 ·
Thank you hansellhd.

BTW, is it possible to disassemble the original green butstock? It appears to be fixed. I got me a very nice wood furniture for this rifle. I've removed two screws, but I could not remove the backlate, buffer, recoil rod spring and guide ring from the plastic green butstock. I am new to this rifle, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You are going to need a very long flat blade screwdriver (12" shaft) remove the green rubber but pad with a vice or vice grip, this will expose the rear of the buffer it will have a slot for the screw driver. Turn that thing counter clockwise (it will be tight) after you unscrew the buffer it will fall out then you can pull the plastic stock away from the backplate.(I have done this about 15x)

Good luck.

#32 ·
Looks great! If you want to go with an imported pistol grip, you may be able to stay compliant by swapping out the charging handle. PTR sells their USA made ones for about 25 bucks. Check your charging handle. If it is not engraved with "PTR-91", then it is an import part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.