+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reviews on Umarex HK MP5SD?

Default Reviews on Umarex HK MP5SD?

Are there any reviews on HKPro or elsewhere for the Umarex HK MP5 SD? Or is it not out yet? It looks like the gun is for sale on several sites, but i havent seen any comments yet.
    thanks

Very Senior Member

I don't think the H&K/Umarex MP5SD is out yet. A lot of websites list it but all of them are backordered. I didn't see it at the gunshow a couple of weeks ago either.

I have the H&K/Umarex MP5A5 .22LR and like it a lot. It shoots just as well as my GSG-5 but I think the H&K/Umarex has a slight edge in build quality.

I figured they do but I'll ask anyway. Do they use the same magazines?

Very Senior Member

The magazines are totally different. You can't use GSG-5 magazines on the Umarex. Yeah, I'm waiting for Umarex magazines to go on sale -- everyone is backordered! The Umarex will take MP5 forearms but the MP5 stocks will not fit. I was able to mount my red dot using a Classic Army (Airsoft) low profile mount (the GSG-5 mount did not fit.)

Anyway, check out this thread: HK MP5 A5 .22 Rifle Atlantic Firearms.com

programmatore,

I sent you some PM asking you some questions.

Thanks,

Michael.
    HK / KAC / FN / BCM / S&W

dev

Quote Originally Posted by programmatore View Post
    The magazines are totally different. You can't use GSG-5 magazines on the Umarex. Yeah, I'm waiting for Umarex magazines to go on sale -- everyone is backordered! The Umarex will take MP5 forearms but the MP5 stocks will not fit. I was able to mount my red dot using a Classic Army (Airsoft) low profile mount (the GSG-5 mount did not fit.)

Anyway, check out this thread: HK MP5 A5 .22 Rifle Atlantic Firearms.com
    I got a real rear stock to fit. A good friend of mine had the real HK stock that he gave to me. the holes are off by by a little so I was able to use a round file and make it work.
    The reason why I did not purchase the Umarex version stock is that I felt that it would not be of the same quality as the real HK being that it will not have a steel skeleton which makes it sturdier in my opinion.

I have done some other modifications like replacing the cheap aluminum rear sites with the real G3 iron sites. The front site has also been modified to accept the real HK front site blade. Now it's target accuracy is much better and more comfortable. The one provided by Umarex sucks because it made me have focusing issues.

To top it all off I added the real German boarder guard forearm and I was able to remove the cheap silencer and add the HK 416/colt threaded adapter.

I did these modifications because I wanted this thing to look like a real .22 not like a toy. This is a really nice accurate .22 that feels right and with a few modifications you can get a good amount of the real HK parts to adapt to it and make it better.
    When I first had it nobody at the range cared and now people are asking me about it because it looks very different then what people are use to.
    Last edited by dev; 05-02-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I got a real rear stock to fit. A good friend of mine had the real HK stock that he gave to me. the holes are off by by a little so I was able to use a round file and make it work.
    The reason why I did not purchase the Umarex version stock is that I felt that it would not be of the same quality as the real HK being that it will not have a steel skeleton which makes it sturdier in my opinion.

I have done some other modifications like replacing the cheap aluminum rear sites with the real G3 iron sites. The front site has also been modified to accept the real HK front site blade. Now it's target accuracy is much better and more comfortable. The one provided by Umarex sucks because it made me have focusing issues.

To top it all off I added the real German boarder guard forearm and I was able to remove the cheap silencer and add the HK 416/colt threaded adapter.

I did these modifications because I wanted this thing to look like a real .22 not like a toy. This is a really nice accurate .22 that feels right and with a few modifications you can get a good amount of the real HK parts to adapt to it and make it better.
    When I first had it nobody at the range cared and now people are asking me about it because it looks very different then what people are use to.
    Could you post a picture of the rifle? I am interested to see how it looks with the H&K MP5 stock and with the fake suppressor/compensator removed and the thread adapter installed. Did you SBR it?

Did you have to shave some material off the inside of the rear stock? I can't get my German A2 stock to fit -- the rear opening is not wide enough and it looks like it will require serious shaving to remove enough material to make it work.

Thanks.

dev

Quote Originally Posted by programmatore View Post
    Could you post a picture of the rifle? I am interested to see how it looks with the H&K MP5 stock and with the fake suppressor/compensator removed and the thread adapter installed. Did you SBR it?

Did you have to shave some material off the inside of the rear stock? I can't get my German A2 stock to fit -- the rear opening is not wide enough and it looks like it will require serious shaving to remove enough material to make it work.

Thanks.
    There was no material to remove however you will have to remove the metal divider that is in the stock using a screw driver to pry it out. Once that is done it should fit however the holes will be a little off and that is where I used the round file to remove a little material on one side more then the other because if you take off too much the stock will move. At present it is rock solid and feels right.
    I did not SBR it only because I wanted the full barrel. At first I wanted this clone as it is but the more I shot it at the range I decided that it makes a better .22 rifle then a submachine gun style of weapon.
    I will try and get a picture for you.

Yes, a picture would say a thousand words!

I am also intrigued by "G3 iron sights." You'll have to forgive me as I am noob in this regard, I assume you are referring to these sights: Hk 91 G3 Rear Sight Set

Where they a direct fit or was modification required?

Thanks,

Michael.

dev

Quote Originally Posted by mdoan300 View Post
    Yes, a picture would say a thousand words!

I am also intrigued by "G3 iron sights." You'll have to forgive me as I am noob in this regard, I assume you are referring to these sights: Hk 91 G3 Rear Sight Set

Where they a direct fit or was modification required?

Thanks,

Michael.
    Michael no major modification required however you will need the oval washer and crush washer from the G3 sight.
    You do not need the the windage or hold down screw as you will be reusing the ones that come with the Umarex.
    The only thing that you will need is to add a little card board shim where the ball and spring make contact so that when you turn the sight it will have enough tension to click. Apart from that it is a direct bolt on and for $12 for a good used one it was a no brainier and It is way better in every way then the aluminum sights. The modification to the front site is a little more involving because you will have to mill the 2nd site post they give you as well as the real HK blade to make it work but it is so worth it that I could not understand why Umarex did everything else right but failed on this part of their execution.
    Let me get that picture for you guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads