+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tropical vs. Olive Green; where are the grips?

Default Tropical vs. Olive Green; where are the grips?

curious, it's easy to find the olive sets, but where are the tropical green grips?

These were used by FMP - did the Bundeswehr use this color, too?

Why the distinction?

Unrepentant HKHolic

I didn't know there was a difference. Are you talking about the colors or a completely different style handguard?
    An ever changing list of guns.

"There's something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"
    Tool

Unrepentant HKHolic

OOPS. You were talking about the grips that go on the trigger frame right? Doesn't RobertRTG sell them?

Robert RTG has the olive, but not the tropical. What I am wondering is why they are so hard to find? Long Mountain has the tropical hg and buttstocks...but no grips!

Unrepentant HKHolic

I do not know. I honestly didn't know a difference.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Pictures???
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Here's an example. The OD green for the wide handguard, and the 'tropical green' for the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by OODA_Loop View Post
    curious, it's easy to find the olive sets, but where are the tropical green grips?

These were used by FMP - did the Bundeswehr use this color, too?

Why the distinction?
    I am not sure who made the tropical green furniture but I have only seen stocks and slim forearms in tropical green. Maybe black pistol grips were used with these.

There are a few slightly different shades of the OD furniture, German, POF, FMP and South African; but these are all close enough to mix and match without it really being noticable.

I would suggest getting all new OD furniture you can get a new POF OD stock, wide forearm and pistol grip at RTG ( http://www.robertrtg.com/pofg3greenbuttstock.html , http://www.robertrtg.com/pofg3widegreen.html). Also Numrich has a cheaper new wide German OD forearm that is only a slightly different shade of OD (it is really not very noticeable) http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...470&catid=9034
    Last edited by The_Great_308; 06-04-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Very Senior Member

That Tropical Green color seems to be VERY scarce and I wonder if PTR isn't buying them all up for the G.I. model rifles. My thought when RTG stopped having the TROPICAL Handguards and Butt Stocks was just that: that someone (PTR??) was getting then all for production guns. I personally have never seen them on a GERMAN gun, but that really doesn't mean anything. Someone will chime in and say whether the GERMAN military ever used that color or not.
    I did NOT like that color (TROPICAL) at first and put some wood on my G.I.MODEL, but the TROPICAL color sort of grew on me and I am thinking of going back with the original TROPICAL set on my G.I., except for an original HK21 rubber butt pad. (and of course the NAVY Handguards)
    I ordered a NEW OD WIDE Handguard and Stock from RTG and got a beautiful set, but they don't QUITE match color. NOT like the difference between the Tropical and OD, but just enough to spot if you look closely.
    These are now on my PTR 91F (AW#12XX SHOOTS ALL AMMO!!) And they look better since I did the Clipped & Pinned Steel lower in OD Green with an Eighties grip.
    I had some spares also, so I got some OD CAMO (OLIVE) Spray Paint from WalMart and did a wide Handguard and Stock and they were almost a correct match (NOT PERFECT MATCH, though!!!) with the GREEN Pistol Grips from the HK metal lower receivers from the Eighties HKG3/91/21 series (which these were from).
    Also did a couple of sets of CAMO color pattern sets with other spare sets (with narrow handguards) for possible SHTF contingencies also. That CAMO special paint is really pretty good, flat with NO sheen and good NATURAL looking colors. (Made by KRYLON) The set on my 93 has a good NATURAL appearance. Use the CRC Electronic Part Cleaner to degrease the parts BEFORE painting and handle with gloves before spraying.
    If you find an EXACT MATCHING set of EITHER, WIDE OR SLIM Handguards, factory made, that match the RTG Butt Stocks, PLEASE let me know. Even when ordered together, NEW, they are a shade or two different. Not bad looking or really noticible when installed, but NOT perfect!
    Ubi concordia, ibi victoria - "Where is the unity, there is the victory."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links