+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there an online tutorial for adding a paddle mag release to an MP5?

Default Is there an online tutorial for adding a paddle mag release to an MP5?

How hard is it to make this conversion? I have a Coharie Arms CA94 that I'de like to do this to. I have significant welding and fabrication skills, (I built my own HK51 from an FMP kit) so I doubt it's beyond me. I just need a set of directions to put me on the right path. Can any one lead me in the right direction?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by METALMAN View Post
    How hard is it to make this conversion? I have a Coharie Arms CA94 that I'de like to do this to. I have significant welding and fabrication skills, (I built my own HK51 from an FMP kit) so I doubt it's beyond me. I just need a set of directions to put me on the right path. Can any one lead me in the right direction?
    Drill a 1/8" dia hole .620" directly under the mag catch shaft hole. The shelf on factory HKs is about .9" wide, so drill the hole about .020" less deep so it is a blind hole. You also need to make a bushing with a 1/8" hole through it, that is a slip fit through the paddle. Then just install the parts, a weld a dowel pin into place through the hole, and grind it flush with the side of the shelf. You may also need to grind out the inside of the magwell where the shelf extends into the mag well to make clearance for the paddle. That's the worst part of the whole job - clearing the shelf out of the way. Some of the after-market weld kits use a U-shaped shelf which eliminates having to grind it out, the CA94 may or may not need that step.

Oh yeah - I said "drill" a hole. I don't actually drill the hole. If you do, the drill tends to walk on the far side, making the paddle hard to actuate. I start mine with a centerdrill, drill through the first side with a drill bit, then switch to a 1/8" end mill to go into the other side. The paddle will work much more smoothly that way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very Senior Member

I would recommend buying the paddle mag release still in the cut receiver section (witch is generally how you get them used). That way you are able to see exactly how it is positioned in the magwell and then just copy it. I don't know of any tutorial but this is how I learned. The biggest part is to stay legal by making sure you do not leave the pin hole open after adding the bushing. Its a good bit of work, not easy my any means.

+ Reply to Thread

Links