+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Demilled Parts Kits

In the interest of not posting two threads in one day asking dumb ass questions I've got one regarding 922(r) but it's still related to demilled kits in a way.

So to remain compliant a person needs six (6) US manufactured parts on their gun. Obviously the receiver is a freebie, and with the arrival of DJF's magazines one would think that you could simply sell off the German mag that came with the demill (I'm betting that wouldn't take very long to sell at all around here) and then swap the sear and hammer and you'd be done with nothing else to worry with. Not a single part requiring more than a hand punch and a complete German BCG and absolutely zero restrictions on any furniture you might want to keep around.

1 - Receiver (from flat)
    2 - Hammer
    3 - Sear
    4 - Mag Body
    5 - Follower
    6 - Floorplate

Does that seem like a reasonable way to go for a build seeing as Dave's mags are reviewing very well amongst the community?

Unrepentant HKHolic

I've never been a big fan of relying on the mag for compliance. So if someone else at the range has a similar model and wants to run one of his foreign made mags through your gun, you wouldn't be compliant. What if one of his rounds blows up the gun? There is an investigation. While the odds are low, why have one more thing to worry about? YMMV.

Scott

y'know that's actually a valid point I hadn't considered (though where I live chances are better I'm the ONLY MF for miles and miles around with any real interest in these weapons) I was just trying to consider options to minimize the expenditure of funds necessary by a person building from a "kit" as far as swapping otherwise perfectly viable parts. Now in my instance what I'm itching for the most at this point would be a MP5K-PDW build which due to the lack of "kits" available on the market (Adam only has one and for the price I could build two complete units using RCM parts) so I'm more apt to have an over abundance of 922 compliant parts in my build.

Don't get me wrong I definitely see your point about never having to worry about "where that mag has been" so to speak, but just considering that I've never seen another MP5 series style rifle in my neck of the woods I should think that should at least be something of a consideration. IE if I'm the only person with mags then so long as my mags are compliant then everything is golden right?

Desperately Needs Treatment

Don't forget you can use a US forearm (SW, PRT, Surefire), stock (SW, PRT, Choate), pistol grip (SW, PRT). Easy 3 parts to swap out and get that count up.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    - Abraham Lincoln

That's true enough but I personally like the look of the German teardrop SEF lowers better than the US made options out there which unfortunately precludes me from swapping that part. I suppose the saddest fact here is that the low availability of parts and high prices of them just makes it insulting that you're forced to toss out perfectly viable parts without any logical/sane reasoning. (PERSONAL OPINION PUT THE FLAMETHROWERS AWAY) If you're already paying $1500.00-2800.00 for a parts kit sans flat and weldment kit only to have no choice but toss parts in the crapper just makes my heart hurt.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Gawker View Post
    That's true enough but I personally like the look of the German teardrop SEF lowers better than the US made options out there which unfortunately precludes me from swapping that part. I suppose the saddest fact here is that the low availability of parts and high prices of them just makes it insulting that you're forced to toss out perfectly viable parts without any logical/sane reasoning. (PERSONAL OPINION PUT THE FLAMETHROWERS AWAY) If you're already paying $1500.00-2800.00 for a parts kit sans flat and weldment kit only to have no choice but toss parts in the crapper just makes my heart hurt.
    You can sell them.

And unfortunately, you might be looking at this wrong. At least we get to use demilled MP5 kits. I can easily see where a ruling could have happened against that. Just look at the new rules on demilling a MG (not SMG) barrel. I have a British G3 kit that has three big ass holes drilled in the barrel.

Anyway, get a sear and don't worry about parts count.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Unrepentant HKHolic

I've gotten package deals on German mags at $30 and $26 each. With using US made 9mm mags, you'll be locked into one brand of mags. Over time you might be able to find used US made mags, but that will be very limiting. So you'll need to buy new mags to be sure you'll have them. My understanding is the factory side folding PDW stocks were made here in the US. A BMP K vertical fore grip can be bought as a US part. While it might be unlikely, there might be others interested in this style of firearm you don't know.

Since what you want is a MP5K PDW clone I agree that the likely hood of finding an inexpensive HK MP5K PDW parts set is very unlikely. So using RCM parts to build it would be much more cost effective. So the whole discussion is moot. My understanding is that the K trunnion is a little different than the standard 9mm trunnion. The last I knew the last HK factory PDW barrel I noticed for sale was listed at $1,200 and didn't last long. So a RCM K trunnion and barrel plus a cocking handle and you'll have the other three parts you need. Good luck with the build.

Scott

Unrepentant HKHolic

We're finding that DJF's US made 9mm mags are working particularly well. Investing primarily in these mags ain't such a bad idea. They look damned good and best of all, they work. Long term use will ultimately tell the tale, but so far... so good.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

^^THAT is why I brought it up. It really wasn't an issue with anything 922 per se I'm just basing it on the remarks from respected members like that (Ok well Shattered's not entirely sane but he'll do for purposes of this discussion)

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Gawker View Post
    ^^THAT is why I brought it up. It really wasn't an issue with anything 922 per se I'm just basing it on the remarks from respected members like that (Ok well Shattered's not entirely sane but he'll do for purposes of this discussion)
    You don't have to be sane to be respected. But it helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links