+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! PTR 91 GI FTF!

Default Help! PTR 91 GI FTF!

So today was Range Day 1 with my newly aquired shoulder fired cannon. Things a beast! At least it was for oh....about 15 rounds. Fired 5, grew a smile, fired 10 I was a happy man. Set it down to try plinking my 10/22, that got old fast. Pick the GI back up and 'clunk!' - so I check the primer and theres nothing, pin didnt even tap it. Tried multiple times and finally broke it down to look inside.

Mind you ive only seen youtube videos and read on this forum, this was my first time going deeper than the common field strip. Took the bolt apart easily, much more easily than when I decided I wanted to put that puzzle back together. Inspected pin, spring, bolt head etc. all looked just fine and were nice and wet. Took me, 3 of the range guys who had no experience with the weapon and a couple videos to figure out how to get that thing back in. Loaded a round and no-go. Rinse and repeat. No-Go. Put it in the case feeling as so. Finish plinking and getting my red dot on point, but before I leave decide 'Why not? Ill take it out and try again'. Pull it apart and wipe down/lube/reassemble.Boom! 1 round fired, ok....add 4 more to the mag, CLUNK! What is going on! Its obvious the pin isnt hitting the primer, but why?

Anybody have this problem or hear of one like it? I figured id ask here first before just sending it back and having it gone for 2+ weeks.
    Wont lie, I was totally bummed. But this wont stop me just yet, im gonna watch videos and research.
    Any help is appreciated!

Only thing that comes to mind is you're not letting the bolt SLAM home...you can't "ease" the round into the chamber...it usually won't go into battery if you ride the handle in any fashion.

Ed

Unrepentant HKHolic

Have you had a trigger job? After my trigger job I have had a few FT fire with Chinese hard primer ammo
    Yes Virginia, there are ancient conspiracies in high places

German guns, German girls, German cars, German beer and German dogs.. what's not to like?

No trigger work just yet. Though I wasnt giving it the SLAP! I Slapped it maybe once or twice, and those could have been the times it fired. I actually was kinda nice to it and rode the bolt forward, or pulled the handle out of the groove and just let it go. Maybe it wasnt going into battery? Anybody else have this problem? I think I might have heard about it on another forum.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Always slap it down, hard.. never assist it

Very Senior Member

Like Blitz says, Treat it like a cheap whore with a fake German accent and slap the the stew out of it when chambering a round. Had to coach my brother-in-law the technique while shooting Tannerite over the 4th of July.
    Before you sell that firearm,ask yourself, "can I afford another one if I ever wanted to replace it ?".

Gonna go to the range Saturday and slap her around a bit, we will see how it goes.

Very Senior Member

Hope she puts out for you and performs well. Oh and make sure you clean her up good before you take her out. The stuff PTR packs them in goes to sludge when it gets warm.

+ Reply to Thread

Links