HKPRO Forums banner

Scoping my PTR 91 KF

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  StevieGuns77 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put a scope on my PTR. I'm someone who range shoots some not much but will use it for deer hunting. My question is what would be the better style mount, claw or low profile. I have one of two scopes already. One is a UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster and the other is a Vortex Strikefire with the magnifier. Whichever one I put on the PTR the other will go on my converted Saiga 308. I would like the options of the very informative people on this forum. Forgot to say that my hunting range would be under 150 yards.
Thanks,

#4 ·
I recently upgraded to a claw mount from a low mount after I added a port buffer. I do have the cheek riser on my stock and it works just fine and can be easily removed if I want to use the iron sights. The low mount was ok but did not play well with the port buffer (I reload).

As for an optic, I prefer cross-hairs for hunting. The Strikefire is a good optic and would work for close in quick shots, but it is not quite as precise as a cross hair optic. I found the magnifier to be annoying to use and I intend to upgrade mine to a better quality flip off.

#5 ·
If you can get your low profile mount to maintain zero and it does not give you any issues, I would go this route. While the claw mounts (especially the genuine ones) are dependable and they give you the ability to use your irons as well, it makes it much harder to get a decent cheek weld without adding some type of cheek piece. You also have a very high height over bore. If you plan on going with the red dot sight and magnifier, I would stick to the low profile mount. I don't see the need for see-thru irons in this situation, since your red dot and magnifier give you close range and medium range options. To me, the see thru capability seems unnecessarily redundant for a hunting rifle. Redundancy is always a good thing, but in this case I dont think I would sacrifice my cheek weld for it. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.