HKPRO Forums banner

Century C93 yes or no?

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  diesel1959 
#1 ·
A place somewhat local to me has a Century C93 for $670. I believe that it's new in the box with one 40 round magazine. I am interested; however, I'm "gun shy" in this because I bought a Century CETME, which is now a club because I can't get it to work. I don't want the same thing to happen.

Does anyone have any experience with the C93 versus the CETME?

#3 ·
I don 't think I would go for for over 600.00. At minimum you have a parts kit with a receiver, which you couldn't find for under 700.00. If it does work, you have a cheap DRL gun on the cheap. If it doesn't work, Century will swap it out.

I've had 2 C93's.

#4 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the C93 versus the CETME?
While Century has been making some nice AK's recently, the 2 biggest POS's they ever made were the C-93, & Cetme. It's really a flip of the coin. The LGS where I work has 2 new C-93's in stock, & I won't buy either one, as they are both garbage. At best, you will be buying a parts kit. There are people on this forum who can fix them, but it requires hundreds of $ & a new barrel. There's hours of reading on this subject right here on this forum. GARY

#5 ·
Get one from Atlantic Firearms they test fire and insure you get a quality 1 with no issues and they stand behind what the sell even if it's Century. The price seems high that your quoting.

Magazines are expensive but they are one hell of a weapon and run like a raped ape!

#8 ·
Does Atlantic check bolt gap and guarantee it won't drop like a stone? Pro Mag makes decent and cheep 93 mags in 20/30/40 count

#12 ·
I got mine on sale for $499 and have done ok with it, but I agree with the folks who say don't pay over $600 for one. It truly is a roll of the dice as to whether you're getting a decent shooter or a turd. But, as said, guys like Ghillie and several other of the smiths around hkpro can turn even one of the bad examples in to sweet shooting gun. If you buy a C93, you need to be prepared for that turn of the dice. And for the record, I've had nothing but good luck with the Promags for the 93-series guns, whether they be Vector or C93.

#17 ·
I bought my C93 from gunbroker with a dozen 40 round magazines for around $600. I then bought a barrel and other parts to have GB2000 over at Parabellum turn it into a HK33k clone with paddle release and welded top rail. I regret nothing, it works wonderfully and tends to attract a bit of a crowd when I take it out.

#24 ·
Oh they do indeed have problems, and I have experience with it. I'm just curious what people can get a 33 kit and a receiver for now days? 850.00+? To me personally, it's worth the risk to get a possible cheap working gun, or a cheap parts kit with a receiver under 200.00 $ of what you can get sourcing a kit and a receiver. If there were other options, then it would be a no brainer, but as we all know there's not another option at this point.

#27 ·
I just purchased a C93P for $635 shipped that I plan to SBR. Do I expect it to work? Nope. I do have an extra locking piece to try and maybe I'll get lucky. Otherwise it will be headed off to Oklahoma for tweaking, paddle mag release and beautification.

I read that there will be no more of these pistols produced by Century, so I finally bit.

#28 ·
What if you end up with a century~monkey~ground~down bolt?

I simply bought two Malaysian kits, a receiver and a pile of mags and will eventually have ghillie build one, maybe two

#35 ·
I'll never build one.. and I have built AR15s. It's like the refrigerator magnet I have

"God put me on this planet to accomplish a list of things. I'm so far behind, I'll never die!"

#31 ·
The problem is where the barrel fits tightly into the trunnion was ground down to make assembly easier. Major screw up, so this is why you will need a new barrel. Also you will see a weld bead between the front of the trunnion & receiver. Another screw up. Factory guns were never done this way. GARY

#32 ·
I do understand what the main problem with some of the C 93s is. It was only one builder of the two that Century used that ground down the barrels so if you get one of those rifles you would need a new barrel and it would still be cheaper than a build from scratch. You are correct that the trunnions were welded incorrectly but unless it is welded in crooked it would be a cosmetic rather than a functional problem ( I wish they had been done right but you should never really need to replace a trunnion).

When the kits and the receivers were easy to get and cheap then a build from scratch made sense but at this point it makes a lot more sense to buy a C93 and send it to ghilliebear for a rebuild. This is just my opinion and it is based on cost and functionality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.