Help me select an MP5A3/PDW Clone

Thread: Help me select an MP5A3/PDW Clone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Help me select an MP5A3/PDW Clone

I want a 9mm SBR for in-home use. It shall be suppressed. I'll be using 147gr XTP loaded with 4.5gr Silhouette (max charge for standard pressure). I want something as compact (including the can) and light as possible; so PDW has a leg up there.

• Does that slightly longer barrel length of the A3 give any ballistic advantage over the PDW?
    • Are parts interchangeable between A3 and a PDW? I grew up watching action films of the 80/90s, and I know I'll want an A3 clone at some point. :)
    • Who makes an A3/ PDW that has a navy lower? I'm a lefty, and am looking for ambi selector and non-thumb-shelf grip.
    • Any 922R things I need to watch out for?
    • Would I be better off going for an SD6? Since I'm using 147gr ammo, I don't want it to turn into a 380.

Seems like MKE is the cheapest quality option, but they have that annoying thumb-shelf grip. Any mfg you guys would recommend?

Thanks.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyapunov View Post
    Does that slightly longer barrel length of the A3 give any ballistic advantage over the PDW?
    Yes but probably not enough to matter.

Are parts interchangeable between A3 and a PDW? I grew up watching action films of the 80/90s, and I know I'll want an A3 clone at some point. :)
    Some are, some are not. Buttstocks are not.

Who makes an A3/ PDW that has a navy lower? I'm a lefty, and am looking for ambi selector and non-thumb-shelf grip.
    Dunno, sorry. I have heard of problems with H&K grips on Zeniths.

Any 922R things I need to watch out for?
    Search, plenty of talk about this on these forums.

Would I be better off going for an SD6? Since I'm using 147gr ammo, I don't want it to turn into a 380.
    At your distances? I don't see any real issue.

You may want to re-think a suppressed roller locked HK looking gun for your primary home defense weapon. There are a few reasons why a good reliable and noisy pistol is your best bet.

Good luck.

GHEN
    Praemonitus Praemunitus

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

OP a MP5K clone would fit the bill for small, powerful and suppressible. If you got a reverse stretch you could use the A3 stock but the standard K with side folder would be smaller. You have several choices of builders on this site that could produce what you want. Look through the vendor section and send out some questions to some of them. I have read that you can put a navy ambi lower on the MKE but some fitting might be required.

Although I have read on the internet many times that such a firearm used in a self defense situation could cause a legal problem, I have yet to read a real report of such a problem happening. The saying "better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6" comes to mind.
    MP5SD SW clone SBR with TPM SD can
    MP5 Coharie clone SBR with AAC Striker II can
    MP5-40 Vector clone SBR
    HK45 with Sico Osprey 45 can
    USP40
    VP9
    VP40
    Many Many more non HK firearms

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jeff at PCS has done full southpaw versions including cocking tube, point is he can put one together with your exact specs for a good price and a fast turn around, I personally prefer the reverse strech and the three lug/threaded, nothing but options. Best luck, post pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone.

I've read the article here which turned me off the SD. It looks amazing, but doesn't fulfill the practical function I want.
    The MP5 SD & integral suppression; it has a purpose, but its not what you think - Brethren Armament

Looks like these guys do a K/PDW with a Navy lower. Picture shows it with SEF pack. Wonder if they can put in ambi safety.
    BA 9mm compact factory pistol - Brethren Armament

I'll contact PCS as well about a K/PDW. I don't necessarily need the cocking tube to be on the right side as I've run G3s before by turning the rifle towards me and reach across the receiver to work the cocking handle.

What is the advantage of the reverse stretch? So it shares everything with a std MP5? Is the bolt/carrier, springs different between K and std?

I'll be slowly saving up my pennies and work toward this PDW. Cuz I just bought an M1D, and still need to round out the optics on the AR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll be slowly saving up my pennies and work toward this PDW. Cuz I just bought an M1D, and still need to round out the optics on the AR.
    Lyapunov,
    where did you get the scope mount on your M1?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Talk to Jayson at IGF....he just did a HK53 for me, and it is absolutely flawless. He's also done a HK MP5K, that turned out equally as well. He can do just about anything you want.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks everyone.

I've read the article here which turned me off the SD. It looks amazing, but doesn't fulfill the practical function I want.
    The MP5 SD & integral suppression; it has a purpose, but its not what you think - Brethren Armament

Looks like these guys do a K/PDW with a Navy lower. Picture shows it with SEF pack. Wonder if they can put in ambi safety.
    BA 9mm compact factory pistol - Brethren Armament

I'll contact PCS as well about a K/PDW. I don't necessarily need the cocking tube to be on the right side as I've run G3s before by turning the rifle towards me and reach across the receiver to work the cocking handle.

What is the advantage of the reverse stretch? So it shares everything with a std MP5? Is the bolt/carrier, springs different between K and std?

The SD is a unique firearm, but with current ammo and suppressor options on the market it's somewhat obsolete. The same performance can be had with muzzle mount cans and subsonic ammo with less cleaning headaches. Using 147gr subsonic bullets would give slightly higher terminal energy than a SD as well. If you wanted more power still then subsonic 300BLK really ups the power and can be done in HK53 form. Gilliebear makes a nice SD version that will give you the SD look with much more terminal energy.

The reverse stretch will allow you to use standard MP5 stocks on a K firearm. The recoil spring and lower are different than a K.

Sponsored Links