HKPRO Forums banner

suppressor won't fit on AA89K

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Goat 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up a Atlantic Arms 89k yesterday. Got a #28 locking piece too. My intention was to SBR the thing and use it with my old TAC-9 suppressor.

But the suppressor won't fit on the muzzle of the 89k. I realized that they put the black finish all over the barrel. I am not sure if that is the source of the issue.

Has anyone else had a problem with their suppressor not mounting on their AA gun?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now having a chance to look at the gun with better light and being wide awake, it seems that the problem is the paint/epoxy/whatever finish on the gun. Unfortunately the battery in my caliper is dead. I have emailed AA and am awaiting their response.

#2 · (Edited)
Update!

I haven't heard anything from AA. I did get the suppressor mounted though. I had to take the locking ring off the can and put it behind the lugs. Then I put the can on the muzzle and screwed it all the way down. It is very tight but there is not a chance it will come loose.

The moral of the story is, the paint finish has put the muzzle of the AA89k out of spec for use with a suppressor. At least out of spec for the older style of 3 lug cans.

I think I am going to have the muzzle soda blasted to get that crap off of it.

Thanks for tuning in!

I would also like to add, after mounting and removing the suppressor on the paint covered muzzle, the finish is peeling/flaking badly. In short, it looks like crap. I took a wire wheel on my dremel to clean it up a bit for now. All the sales pics of these guns show the 3 lug being bare metal. Not sure why mine came painted.

#3 ·
I'll check mine in the am. I just received mine from Atlantic Tuesday. Hoping I don't have that crappy finish on the 3 lug. I thought it was bare
As well in the pictures.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok, spent few minutes looking at the AA89K this morning. I honestly have had zero time since picking it up. The FIT i think is perfect. The extractor spring on the bolt is a little looser than I would expect. * Just installed a new extractor spring on the bobcat. I don't see any overspray on my lugs or gobbed on paint. Judge for yourself.

Few snap shots this morning.

#5 ·
OP - did this help? How does your 3 lug compare to mine? I'm in the process of getting a professionally created Trust so my file for a new suppressor is put off for a couple weeks. However, would like to know how mine stacks up to yours.

Thanks

Travis

#7 ·
My paddle mag release on the AA89K is nice and tight when the mag is snapped in. However, its loose on my BW-5, but that has never impeded or cause any problems in the 8+ years I've owned it.

#9 · (Edited)
I put a wire wheel on my dremel and removed as much of that garbage finish from the muzzle as I could.

I would like to point out that the guns in AA's sales pics are shown without that finish on the muzzles.

Gun Shooting sport Shooting Air gun Recreation

Gun Firearm Trigger Machine gun Air gun

How does your 3 lug compare to mine? I'm in the process of getting a professionally created Trust so my file for a new suppressor is put off for a couple weeks. However, would like to know how mine stacks up to yours.
Your muzzle has that same garbage paint job that mine had. When I say garbage, I don't mean that it looks bad. I mean that putting paint on the part of the barrel where the suppressor will mount is a garbage idea! If you plan to put a can on it, you may have to remove that paint.

I am guessing that AA either decided not to mask off the muzzle because it saved time. Or they did it because non suppressor using people complained about the muzzle not looking uniform with the rest of the gun. I don't know, but either way it was a pain in my butt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.