HKPRO Forums banner

HK-93 Wood Handguard Conversion

17K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  peytancwo 
#1 · (Edited)
After much searching, I recently acquired four wood HK-91 handguards, seen below, and was curious if any forumgoers were still shortening them to fit the HK-93 profile. Specifically, I'd like to have one (or all) fitted to a PTR-91 Scout Carbine.

Unfortunately, the nicest two have the notch near the front that make them less ideal for the job, but perhaps someone knows how to cut them from the rear to bypass that issue.

Thank you.

Edit:
In the very unlikely case that someone might have a finished one to sell, let me know and I'll grab my wallet! Hell, I'd trade two of your choice for a nice converted one.

See less See more
#2 ·
Contact jdowney he is a member here but not very active on this board. If you go to Militaryfirearm You can probably reach him by PM he is pretty active on that board. He has done many of these in the past. He also makes the wood HKG3 grips and the wood PSG1 grips sold on RTG. I have had him make custom G3 grips for me in the past he does excellent work.

#3 ·
After much searching, I recently acquired four wood HK-91 handguards, seen below, and was curious if any forumgoers were still shortening them to fit the HK-93 profile. Specifically, I'd like to have one (or all) fitted to a PTR-91 Scout Carbine.
Yes, JDowney is the man. It has been my experience however, that lately he is not always willing to or in a position to take on new work. Here is a link to some good info and instructions if you are so inclined.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/196606-hk-93-wood-2.html

#6 ·
Appreciate the responses, guys.

Neat, I was curious about JDowney's status. Since this account has a low post count, I haven't been able to shoot PMs quite yet. Thanks.

And, aye, I had seen the diagram for making the cuts but, with these pieces being as difficult to find as they are, have been hesitant to do so. If nothing pans out, I'd definitely consider giving it a shot.

Speaking of panning out, it looks like I've a few PMs to reply to. Cheers.

#9 · (Edited)
I still do them now and then, but only when the customer can supply the handguard - I used up the ones I had on hand years ago.

Sounds like you got a deal worked out, so you may not be interested in how it's done. I wouldn't cut the cap off and dig the wood out though, like they said in the other thread. It's a pretty big PITA to get all the wood out. After removing the rivets I take a 3' hardwood dowel (3/4" diameter) and hold the HG at the top and pound the dowel down on the floor to drive the cap off, then cut the wood to length.

Rear cap is a bit easier to remove, but I like the look of ones shortened on the front end better.

(EDIT)
Yeah, it's a lot easier to reach me on militaryfirearm.com, I just happened to log in here to send a PM and saw the thread. Usually I miss them, but you can send me a PM here too and I'll log in to read it.

#11 ·
Here is one of two that I shortened myself. I did mine a little different, being picky I wanted them to look more like factory with no partial holes showing and the same hole count on both end. I did this by shortening from both ends and drilling more holes. I have also converted the wood handguard to accept a bi-pod and used a ball mill to cut reliefs for the legs to rest in.

#13 ·
That is absolutely awesome work! I really like the fine details. I think it is really cool that you adapted some of the wood forearms to accept the light bipod. I also really like the way you shorted the forearms from both ends. It does look very factory. If you get a chance would you please post some close up photos of the modifications for the bipod?

#18 ·
I used rough surplus wide handguards to cut up. To remove the hollow rivets, large and small, I find a short fine thread bolt that is a little larger than the I.D. of the rivet, position it from the inside(thread end against rivet) and use a long flat end punch to fit through rivet on opposite side to bolt head and drive out. some are easier than others. BE CAREFUL not to break wood!! I use my armorer's puck I bought from Adam, to place under my handguard end. Once seperated you will have inner and outer steel pieces, from both the polymer and wood handguards, and also you will need the flat release piece from the polymer hg also. I use the inner piece from the polymer hg and the outside piece from the wood hg, and using my dremel tool with a cut off wheel make my cut for the bi-pod collar. The inner piece will have to be shortened and re-drilled for the rivets to go back in place. I also use a clear epoxy to the wood where both metal parts mate to help reinforce the end. any that oozes out can be trimmed off with an exacto blade. I sand the wood before re-assembling, and repaint and stain/clear coat after assembly by masking the wood first , then the metal.
Kind of trial and error on disassembling. I ruined a couple before I finally figured out some tricks to removing the rivets. The polymers are tough, but you aren't trying to save any plastic.Please forgive my writing skills, I am much better with a gun in hand than a keyboard.

#21 ·
Fantastic stuff. I work with a guy who'd love to have the hand guard, loves his bipod but hates the wide forearm and would like wood to match his stock.

#22 · (Edited)
Huh... could have sworn I subscribed to this thread for notifications. Those pictures are gorgeous, Albatross.

Well, I wanted to swing around again to post the finished product and thank everyone for their inputs one more time. A few of the pieces needed touch ups here or there, but I'm extremely pleased with the end result.

Cheers for the advice and parts alike.

#26 ·
Sorry for thread resurrection but this thread has all the awesome pictures. Anybody still doing 93 & mp5 wood hand guard conversions? Does anybody know who might have wood pieces for sale including the grip? I have a few hk and cetme wood hand guards for the conversion, I know I’ll prolly screw it up so I’m looking for somebody that’s done this. Any help will be appreciated. I’ve pm’ed everyone in this thread that does these with the exception of jdowney, I understand he is very busy and no longer taking work or something. Thanks

#27 ·
I've done MP5. I don't believe the CETME set is suited for the task, if it has the screw for the front mount. The flutes are also different, as well as most that I've seen have a much different tint/tone than the G3 sets, making a decent match hard to do. I haven't seen any grips available. I've been very tempted, but my remoteness makes finding suitable walnut difficult. Someone here had G3 wood stock and hanfguard sets in the for sale section.

On the handguard, I removed both caps, and cut the front end off, using the rear end. I trimmed the front to fit just as it did originally. Since the rivets used would be too difficult to replace without risking the possibility of cracking that 50+ year old wood, I filled the empty rivet holes. The front metal is held on then, by setting the wood inside with silicone, which dampens vibration and adds a bit of protection as well as adhesion. The rear cap I put a recessed screw in the bottom hole. Measurements must be approximate, or the fit will be too tight or sloppy. I used a measure from the forward end of the receiver/trunion, to the rear of the hanger pin hole.
There can be varying degrees of wood tone. If attention is not paid to this, you can get a poor match making all the pieces look different. The best match has the best appearance. I had to use three different tones of stain to get a decent match on this handguard, so it would pair up better with the stock.

#33 · (Edited)
Here's a couple of sets....
Excellent stuff, absolutely gorgeous!!!! The wife was like...”that’s the old crap you sent out?” Yup!! Donka!!!

Edit: added before shots, vert grip & cetme wood next.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.