CETME/G3 questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CETME/G3 questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default CETME/G3 questions

I am not sure if this is in the right place since technically the G3 is a CETME copy. LOL.

A few questions about these. First, is the G3 barrel compatible with the CETME? Any before or after parts compatibility issues I should know about?

Second, what is involved in changing the barrels out, or more precisely, installing them new?

3rd, what are the better barrels, and what should I stay away from?

4th, other than just smoothing out machine marks, is it wise to customize and/or chrome plate any of the innerds and if so, do you recommend any particular services?

Thanks folks.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The barrels have different diameters where the triple tree mounts. So either swap triple trees or see about turning them to correct diameter. The trigger packs are swappable between platforms but the parts are generrally not swappable between lowers.
    There are more 922 parts for a G3 lower than a CETME and you have options to upgrade the performance you do not have with a CETME. G3 is better all around.
    Buttstocks and backplates, you can get an HK backlplate assembly to interchange with a CETME if you use a cetme guide ring and end stop (sorry but proper term eluding me). The parts are not interchangeable between stock assemblies other than that.

2nd, pressing barrels. There are builder forums that can detail this. In a nutshell, drive out barrel pin, press barrel out of trunnion from rear to front using a press. Drop new barrel into trunnion, press most of way but short of flush, use your bolt carrier in the trunnion with an appropriate gap spacer between bolt and carrier and use press to press bolt carrier barrel to desired gap. SWEAR A LOT!!!, Then swear some more. This is point you want to read an actual tutorial to see the fine details. After desired gap achieved drill through the barrel pin hole of your trunnion and press your new barrel pin in place to hold the barrel at desired gap.

4th- I would say no on the chroming. You would be changing the tolerances on you parts and it could create issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The barrel choice depends on what you want the rifle to do for you. If you want a cheap barrel in the white then Sarco is about the cheapest. If you want a higher quality with a finish then it's RCM. For a target quality rifle the price starts around $450 to $500 (MOAXP) and goes up along with the price of everything else needed to make it work.

Ive never run into fitment issues between HK and Cetme barrels, maybe current suppliers are doing stuff differently now.

Rebarreling is a more complicated than doing it on a new build with the trunnion out of the receiver. I had to modify my press a little but I was using longer barrels too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds allot like AK building

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On par with what Holecreek is saying. I would inform you that the chroming issues for tolerances on certain parts will be an issue.

I've used a couple chrome plating shop's and spoke with many before working with 2 vendors for this service. I would only use one after all said and done. The Bolt Carrier stripped is doable but some work needs to be performed before plating.
    Titanium nitride is something that I would love to have done' but the cost and shops with the technical savy to assist is still somewhat early. The bolt carrier and bolt head could be done with minimal work prior to Nitride.

Like others have mentioned the cocking tube and handguard also the sights

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Germgewehr View Post
    I am not sure if this is in the right place since technically the G3 is a CETME copy. LOL.
    I wouldn't say a copy, since the engineers that created it moved to H&K and evolved it further.
    Last edited by Josefius; 03-21-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks fellas. Barrel wise I will probably go middle of the road. I am much more interested in multi-role than something heavily geared towards target shooting.

I don't know what buyer's definitions of great condition are but the CETME parts kit I got looks like it was built a little sloppy right out of the factory. Not unexpected from a military rifle and even somewhat hopeful given the gun apparently worked well in spite of it. So I am going to do a pretty thorough job of cleaning up the working parts. Nothing radical. Just make everything smoother and all. I've done this with several guns already. When I do this, I may loosen some necessary specs in order to make it ideal for chrome plating. But I haven't decided for sure yet.

New question for you folks. Without prejudice, in what ways is the G3 better than the CETME, and in what ways might the CETME have the upper hand. Basically, I am looking for the best balance between the two.
    Last edited by Germgewehr; 03-22-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post
    The barrel choice depends on what you want the rifle to do for you. If you want a cheap barrel in the white then Sarco is about the cheapest. If you want a higher quality with a finish then it's RCM. For a target quality rifle the price starts around $450 to $500 (MOAXP) and goes up along with the price of everything else needed to make it work.

Ive never run into fitment issues between HK and Cetme barrels, maybe current suppliers are doing stuff differently now.

Rebarreling is a more complicated than doing it on a new build with the trunnion out of the receiver. I had to modify my press a little but I was using longer barrels too.
    RCM has some high quality extremely accurate barrels made from Lothar Walther blanks. End to end runout is less than .005. Other then a hand lapped match barrel these are the best out there. IMO.
    For Those About To Rock, We Salute You! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New question for you folks. Without prejudice, in what ways is the G3 better than the CETME, and in what ways might the CETME have the upper hand. Basically, I am looking for the best balance between the two.
    The difference is original vs. Modernized. Unless you're a builder you get what you pay for.

RCM has some high quality extremely accurate barrels made from Lothar Walther blanks. End to end runout is less than .005. Other then a hand lapped match barrel these are the best out there. IMO
    Where can we get one? Is it more or less than the price range I stated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post
    The difference is original vs. Modernized. Unless you're a builder you get what you pay for.
    What do you mean by that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links