MKE94 bolt carrier glazing from brass

Thread: MKE94 bolt carrier glazing from brass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MKE94 bolt carrier glazing from brass

Hello. This is my first post on this forum board and of course I'm seeking expertise to a possible problem that I may have. The bolt carrier on my MKE94 has a good amount of brass (maybe copper) buildup on the area that comes in contact with ammo when its cycling rounds. I've put 300-500 rounds through the rifle without any issues. The buildup doesn't seem right to me, is this normal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MKE94 bolt carrier glazing from brass-img_1038_1492664021917.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't know if this is normal or not, but bumping the post for you.
    USC/UMP partial conversion - sadly sold
    SL8-1/G36 partial conversion - also sold
    Springfield XD .45 Tactical
    Bersa .380 Firestorm
    CZ 612 HC-P

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Nope, not normal.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No part of the bullet or case ever touches that section of the carrier, thats where the ejector lever rides. Looks like rust more than copper or brass but you'll know for sure if you can scrape or pick it off the carrier.

I have had tiny specks of brass accumulate on various parts of the BCG but nothing like you have there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Call me crazy... but that looks like grease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies. Definitely not grease or rust. Its a soft metal and a little of it chipped off with a dental pick. Not familiar with this type of firearm and wonder if wrong sized rollers could lead to this. I haven't had any failures to fire and the spent brass lands in the same area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whereveriroam View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Definitely not grease or rust. Its a soft metal and a little of it chipped off with a dental pick. Not familiar with this type of firearm and wonder if wrong sized rollers could lead to this. I haven't had any failures to fire and the spent brass lands in the same area.
    You can check the bolt gap to determine if the rollers are the proper size. What does the face of the ejector lever look like? How about the ejector channel in the bolt itself, any of this stuff in there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe the bolts are brazed together and this may be an area that the finish has worn off and exposed some of the brazing that seems to be a little excessive. The recoil spring ring is brazed to the body of the carrier and this is probably some excess brazing that may have flowed into this area during manufacture. If you look closely you can see where the top ring is attached to the carrier body. The phosphating takes differently to the brazing than the steel components. Nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by blfuller; 04-21-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Sponsored Links