HKPRO Forums banner

MAD MAX MP5 bolt head quick review

25K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  TheColtCollector 
#1 ·
I finally had the chance to make it to the range with my new MAD MAX MP5 bolt head installed on my Omega OM-9. I had received the bolt head from Atlantic Firearms the other week and installed it last night. It went on nice and smooth with no issue in replacing the original bolt head.

At the range, I started with 30 rounds from an HK curved MP5 mag in semi automatic. All 30 rounds went through the gun with no issues. I then swapped out the pack for my Fleming Sear pack and proceeded to go through another 300 rounds through a mix of HK straight mags and Korean curved mags. The ammo was 115gr PMC Bronze.

With 8 of the mags, I went through them completely flawlessly. With the last two (one SD mag and one Korean mag), I had multiple stoppages. Given that I had my suspicions about these mags before, I'm going to chalk that up the mags themselves (probably need new springs).

So, with that done, I'm pretty happy with the new bolt head. We'll see how it holds up over time, but hopefully it will live up to the hype from the Vegas high volume gun rental places.

#6 ·
It's a little hard to tell just yet, since I don't have enough rounds in the gun to the point where I'd likely need to change the spring. That being said, anything that can help increase reliability of my MP5 is worth it to me. At $300, I figured it was worth a shot to give it a try.

#3 ·
I have over a 1000 flawless rounds through the MAX bolt head. I have bent springs before and yes this is better. It's only $300, I blow through that much ammo in one trip to the range sometimes. I'll never go back to the old style. I hear that this could be an upgrade or standard option in the future from some mp5 manufacturers and retailers. I'm thinking the MAX is here to stay.

#4 ·
Good to hear other reports coming in, 2thdoc posted this on our Forum on the MAD Bolt

Very happy with this. my dakota tactical D54R-N A1 had trouble feeding 115 rn, spent casings getting caught above bolt also AE 147 truncated cone would not extract reliably was tired of changing extractor spring every 400 - 500 rounds. 300 rounds yesterday of both types feed reliably .

#8 ·
Yes I am a rep for MAD. I thought that it was worded as such but to clarify I'm their outside sales rep. To answer the question about the bolt head and give some insight into the product, you are correct they the hk11, 21 and 23 belt feed bolt heads share the same basic design but there are some differences. To make the design work in a pistol caliber changes had to be made and lots of r&d went into making it work consistently. We are planning to release the other calibers everyone has been asking in the near future so be patient. Like I said before new weapons for some manufacturers will equip MP5s with the new bolt head as standard equipment making upgrading unnecessary. Some retailers will offer this as an upgrade at a lower price. You can request the MAX with a new build from your favorite builder. I have spoke with a lot of them and many of them seem open to this. We have lots of other cool things we are working on so stay tuned. If you need to contact us directly the website is www.madkc.com . Anything else I can answer for you let me know I'll do my best.

#19 ·
Just thought I would add another update to my review. I went to the range yesterday, as I needed to test fire a gun I was purchasing (an old .25 Auto Midget Revolver, but that's not really relevant). So, I figured I would run my OM-9 and new MAD bolt head some more.

Prior to going to the range, I pulled the gun apart, did a very light cleaning (more a wipe down with a rag) and reapplied some gun oil. By no means a full maintenance session.

At the range, I went through ten 30 round mags, 1 actual HK and 9 Korean mags. I fired 299 flawless rounds in full auto and had 1 round do a nose dive FTF in one of the Korean mags on the last round (but previous round had ejected properly, so I think the bolt head is in the clear on that one).

So far so good.

#23 ·
We received ours last week and will be giving it a good work over this summer. For practical matter, if you have a well-built, well-maintained gun and use quality ammo with good mags, you will likely not benefit much from this unless you shoot in volume. A $7 extractor spring every 10K-15K rounds is tough to beat for moderate shooting.

Now if you have a gun that is prone to stoppages or burn through ammo (range rental etc) then I can definitely see the benefit here.

In any event, I'm excited to see these if for no other reason than it brings options to our market.

#31 ·
Demo heads get here in a week. Then we have to test. That's the fun part! It might be a month or two until we sell them because we want to use and abuse them to make sure you are getting the best product. We used battlefield to test the 9 mm. Does anybody have any suggestions on who shoots large amounts of 40?

#39 ·
Quick note, the MAD MAX bolt head is now back in stock at Atlantic for $299. I just snagged a second one for my Omega MP5K.

I wish they were a bit cheaper, as I'd pick up a few more for the rest of my 9mm hosts, but I guess I'll just replace them at a more sedate rate.

#41 ·
I finally got out to the range this past weekend to try out the MAD MAX bolt head in my Omega MP5K. I'd like to say that my reliability matched that of my Omega MP5 and all is right with the world... sadly, that isn't the case. I was getting multiple jams in full auto (all pretty much one variety of FTE) on almost every mag. I think out of the 12 mags I went though, 2 actually went through with no issues (one Korean mag and one MP5SD straight mag). The rest, which were comprised of 5 more HK german striaght mags, 1 German HK curved mag, 1 US made curved mag (the one that come with the pistol, I believe), and the rest being Korean curved mags. I was shooting a mix of 124gr FMJ made by Midwest Ammo and 115gr FMJ made by Wolf and by Remington UMC.

So, the reliability of the MP5K in full auto wasn't much to talk about before I installed the MAD MAX bolt head and it certainly isn't great after. I will also point out that this was my 3rd MAD bolt head for this gun, since I was notified the first one that shipped was made with incorrect tolerances, and then the replacement that came for it also was from the bad batch, so I had to send that back as well. Not super pleased with the goat rodeo on getting the right bolt.

Anyway, since it wasn't working that great before the bolt replacement (in full auto, in semi it worked more or less fine, though I got occasional jams then too), I'm going to contact Omega and see if they can figure out what is going on with this gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.