+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTR-91 With a Latch Mag. Release?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Default PTR-91 With a Latch Mag. Release?

I really like my PTR-91. It is very accurate out of the box and soft shooting for a .308. However the only feature I dislike is the magazine release. It is a push-button like an AR-15 but I vastly prefer the HK-91 style latch mag release. I am used to the latch style on the Mini-14, which works very well, and changing mags with this push-button on the PTR is aggrevating. Is there any way to install a latch mag release on the PTR-91? Has anyone done this?
    Owns HK and Glock Pistols.
    NRA/CCDL/GSSF Member- Glock Certified Armorer

Improve Your Handgun Shooting Skills- Handgun Drills PDF

Very Senior Member

http://www.taclatch.com/

Site says it doesn't directly fit a PTR, but I've heard you can easily grind down the taclatch to fit.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Thanks for the info. But that site mentions it might be illegal to install on the PTR and I don't want to fall out of compliance. I guess I need to look into this a bit furthur because I cannot have any conflict with federal BATF law or the Connecticut state assualt weapons ban, on which the HK-91 is directly named. I am unsure at this point if modifying this rifle with one simple feature like a magazine release would make it illegal. Anyone who could shed some light on this feel free to speak up.

If it is possible I would have no problems getting an HK armourer to do the job right. I would rather have it done right and look good then start hacking away at my rifle to install a drop on part myself.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I had IGF install a factory paddle mag release on my G3K clone, which uses a JLD/PTR receiver...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Supra View Post
    I had IGF install a factory paddle mag release on my G3K clone, which uses a JLD/PTR receiver...

How much did this work set you back? And how long did it take?
    "A man is generally what he feels himself to be."

Unrepentant HKHolic

I would also like to know.

The HK-91 is directly named on the CT assualt weapons list. Some of the main differences between the PTR and the HK-91 are the heavy target barrel on the PTR as well as the lack of the latch mag. release. I'm thinking that these slight differences are the only things keeping the PTR off the list. Anyone who could shed some light on this is welcome to respond.

This is the law... (and I hate it!)

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

So as it stands they make no specific mention as to the mag. release. However, it does state that "any combination of parts" that make a gun an assualt weapon is illegal. Would the addition of a latch mag. release on a PTR make it close enough to a HK-91 to consider it illegal? Also it mentions that to be considered an assualt weapon the rifle must have a detachable mag and "2 of the followng" to be considered an assualt rifle, and while my rifle does have a pistol grip it does not have a flash hider, bayonet lug, or a folding stock. Taking just this into account the rifle would be legal with the upgrade, but not if you take into account the first part with it being too similar to the HK-91. I'm so confused!

For those who asked, IGF added the paddle release in addition to other tasks, which are listed in my original thread here:

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60703

I sent IGF a paddle release that i sourced myself, which I paid about $40 for. I think the labor to install it was maybe $75-$80 or so...

Correct me if I am wrong, but an HK-91 does not have a paddle. The way I read it, there is no mention of any sort of magazine release being prohibited. Since your gun only has the one evil feature besides the detachable magazine and is not mentioned specifically on the list, I would say that you can make a pullchain magazine release for the thing if the mood strikes you!
    History is not happenstance, it is conspiratorial: carefully planned and executed by people in power.

Unrepentant HKHolic

To my knowledge the HK-91 has both the button and the latch or "paddle" mag. release on it. The PTR-91 only has the button (like an AR rifle). This would work fine if the mags. dropped freely like AR mags. when the button was depressed, but because of the method used to install/remove the G3 style mag. it is not designed to drop free. You must push slightly forward on the mag. while depressing the release to disengage it. This is far easier with the latch because it is located directly under your thumb. Whereas with the button, I have found no way of doing it without using two hands, one to remove the mag and one to depress the button. Normally on the HK-91, you would use your left hand for the entire process but the button on the PTR is located on the right side of the rifle, thus making it a impossibility to reach with even your left thumb forcing you to have to use in addition your right hand.

I was hoping that because the mag. latch was not named as a "controlled" part then it would be okay to add a latch release. But I am still unsure if it is in fact illegal because it could be construed as "a combination of parts designed to convert a firearm into an assualt weapon".

I received an email from IGF. Labor to install the paddle mag release is $175.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links