+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: chamber fluting.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

To bring back a really old thread, exactly how do you flute the chamber?

HKPRO Professional

I'm not sure but when you find out can you let PTR know?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
    To bring back a really old thread, exactly how do you flute the chamber?
    There is a new thread in long guns about fluting. I think they use an EDM or a broach setup.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by HART1 View Post
    There is a new thread in long guns about fluting. I think they use an EDM or a broach setup.
    HK has done flutes via EDM but generally the flutes are hammered into the chamber during the rotary cold hammer forging process which does the rifling and chamber in one operation. Really something to see. The newer hammer forging machines are quiet enough that you can easily have a conversation while standing right next to the operating machine - not the case in the old machines as once located in the Neckar valley of Oberndorf.
    G3Kurz

Desperately Needs Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    HK has done flutes via EDM but generally the flutes are hammered into the chamber during the rotary cold hammer forging process which does the rifling and chamber in one operation. Really something to see. The newer hammer forging machines are quiet enough that you can easily have a conversation while standing right next to the operating machine - not the case in the old machines as once located in the Neckar valley of Oberndorf.
    G3Kurz
    G3K,

not that im doubting your unquestionable knowledge of the innerworkings of our favorite company but,,

one would think that if the fluting was hammered in during that process you would be left with a mandrel that would not come out of the barrel. Im sure you've seen this process first hand and are correct. but i just cannot figure out for the life of me how they could do it.
    "Who Dares Wins"

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
    ... one would think that if the fluting was hammered in during that process you would be left with a mandrel that would not come out of the barrel.
    Nope, He's right... that's exactly how it's done. Although I kinda doubt the quietness level... all hammer forging I have been exposed to was rather noisy. And no, I've never been to Obendorfistan although if I ever hit a winning Powerball or MegaMillions ticket....:D:D
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    A good view of the fluting.... this is an AK barrel , by da way... some people know what going on here...

Is there anyone who offers fluting services on an already chambered barrel?A couple of guys I know want to build 51ks and it's a shame to cut a new barrel when you can turn and chamber a small blank.

And no, I've never been to Obendorfistan although if I ever hit a winning Powerball or MegaMillions ticket....:D:D
    Youll pay for us all to visit? Your generosity is truly an example for us all..:D

Unrepentant HKHolic

Nahhh, but I will agree to bring back a buncha beer coasters from any number of beer halls...:D:D They got a Hooters in Krautnikstan?

Chazzar

Smile

Nahhh, but I will agree to bring back a buncha beer coasters from any number of beer halls...:D:D They got a Hooters in Krautnikstan?
    Shattered, ive noticed your german keeps getting better!!!!! "Krautnikistan" thats pretty good!!!! lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links