+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: chamber fluting.

  1. #11
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Blackwing's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2008
    Location : Undisclosed Bunker
    Posts : 462

    Default

    To bring back a really old thread, exactly how do you flute the chamber?

  2. #12
    HKPRO Professional
    cmuspt45's Avatar
    Join Date : Jul 2005
    Location : Galveston, TX
    Age : 34
    Posts : 245

    Default

    I'm not sure but when you find out can you let PTR know?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

  3. #13
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    HART1's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2007
    Posts : 1,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
    To bring back a really old thread, exactly how do you flute the chamber?
    There is a new thread in long guns about fluting. I think they use an EDM or a broach setup.

  4. #14
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    G3Kurz's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2005
    Location : Where the rivers meet
    Age : 54
    Posts : 3,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HART1 View Post
    There is a new thread in long guns about fluting. I think they use an EDM or a broach setup.
    HK has done flutes via EDM but generally the flutes are hammered into the chamber during the rotary cold hammer forging process which does the rifling and chamber in one operation. Really something to see. The newer hammer forging machines are quiet enough that you can easily have a conversation while standing right next to the operating machine - not the case in the old machines as once located in the Neckar valley of Oberndorf.
    G3Kurz

  5. #15
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    paul123's Avatar
    Join Date : Jul 2004
    Posts : 1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    HK has done flutes via EDM but generally the flutes are hammered into the chamber during the rotary cold hammer forging process which does the rifling and chamber in one operation. Really something to see. The newer hammer forging machines are quiet enough that you can easily have a conversation while standing right next to the operating machine - not the case in the old machines as once located in the Neckar valley of Oberndorf.
    G3Kurz
    G3K,

    not that im doubting your unquestionable knowledge of the innerworkings of our favorite company but,,

    one would think that if the fluting was hammered in during that process you would be left with a mandrel that would not come out of the barrel. Im sure you've seen this process first hand and are correct. but i just cannot figure out for the life of me how they could do it.
    "Who Dares Wins"

  6. #16
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Shattered Mind's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2007
    Location : North Roller Coast
    Posts : 9,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
    ... one would think that if the fluting was hammered in during that process you would be left with a mandrel that would not come out of the barrel.
    Nope, He's right... that's exactly how it's done. Although I kinda doubt the quietness level... all hammer forging I have been exposed to was rather noisy. And no, I've never been to Obendorfistan although if I ever hit a winning Powerball or MegaMillions ticket....:D:D
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

    Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!


    Certified MM leghumper...

  7. #17
    Member

    Join Date : May 2009
    Posts : 66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    A good view of the fluting.... this is an AK barrel , by da way... some people know what going on here...






    Is there anyone who offers fluting services on an already chambered barrel?A couple of guys I know want to build 51ks and it's a shame to cut a new barrel when you can turn and chamber a small blank.

  8. #18
    Senior Member

    Join Date : Aug 2007
    Posts : 154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    And no, I've never been to Obendorfistan although if I ever hit a winning Powerball or MegaMillions ticket....:D:D
    Youll pay for us all to visit? Your generosity is truly an example for us all..:D

  9. #19
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Shattered Mind's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2007
    Location : North Roller Coast
    Posts : 9,840

    Default

    Nahhh, but I will agree to bring back a buncha beer coasters from any number of beer halls...:D:D They got a Hooters in Krautnikstan?

  10. #20
    Chazzar
    FRANK's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2008
    Posts : 3,227

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    Nahhh, but I will agree to bring back a buncha beer coasters from any number of beer halls...:D:D They got a Hooters in Krautnikstan?
    Shattered, ive noticed your german keeps getting better!!!!! "Krautnikistan" thats pretty good!!!! lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Chamber fluting
    By stevekilby in forum HK LONG GUN TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Search tags for this page

ak barrel
,
cetme fluted chamber
,
chamber fluting
,

fluted chamber

,
fluted chamber 1911
,
fluted rifle chamber
,
g3 fluted chamber
,
g3 without fluted chamber
,
h and k fluted barrel
,
h&k g3 fluted chamber
,
hk fluted chamber
,
hk mp5 fluted chamber
Click on a term to search for related topics.