+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ptr-91 Compensator

Default Ptr-91 Compensator

Hey guys, first post here. Im going to be buying a ptr-91 within the week (Ive always been an AR guy). Problem is Im in NY so the model Im buying is the PTR-91F with the flash suppressor and the suppressor is getting removed and a compensator needs to be put on in its place PERMANENTLY. So Im really trying to find a good compensator for this rifle since once it's on it cant come off. Is doesen't seem like most manufacturers thread for the 15x1 threads. Any suggestions at all as to what I should go with on the rifle? Thanks!

If you want a factory one, I have one I'll ship you or trade for the FH that came with your rifle?

gmw

Quote Originally Posted by whowahhhh View Post
    Hey guys, first post here. Im going to be buying a ptr-91 within the week (Ive always been an AR guy). Problem is Im in NY so the model Im buying is the PTR-91F with the flash suppressor and the suppressor is getting removed and a compensator needs to be put on in its place PERMANENTLY. So Im really trying to find a good compensator for this rifle since once it's on it cant come off. Is doesen't seem like most manufacturers thread for the 15x1 threads. Any suggestions at all as to what I should go with on the rifle? Thanks!
    I'm not a fan of compensators (except on .50-cals!), but the JP "Recoil Eliminator" (aka "tank brake") seems to be one of the more effective ones. I've never shot one, but apparently it's loud.

I went with a Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider. Looks pretty sweet on my gun. Some people claim that it improves accuracy, but I haven't done any benchmarking on it myself. You can get it at Brownells.

Very Senior Member

Primary Weapon Systems (PWS) makes a well-regarded compensator that also serves as a brake. Their claim to fame is it doesn't blast people to the side with the concussive force that some others are known for, and follow-up shots are supposed to be much faster.

I just got one, and it's a work of art...however, I haven't put it on yet...it's freezing here.

Very Senior Member

I just thought of another thing: PWS has come out with their comp w/ flash suppression muzzle device that while it does reduce flash, it is NOT rated by ATF as a flash suppressor.

This is primarily a comp, with some flash reducing ability and is classified purely as a comp. I spoke to a fellow from PWS a couple weeks ago and they will be releasing it in HK threads soon.

Last edited by akxx; 01-22-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by akxx View Post
    I just got one, and it's a work of art...however, I haven't put it on yet...it's freezing here.

So?? Work indoors.

Kinda fugly looking, tho'.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    So?? Work indoors.

Kinda fugly looking, tho'.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, although I admit I bought it for the performance...could care less about making a .308 weapon a "beauty queen."

But to each his own.
    Last edited by akxx; 01-14-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akxx View Post
    I just thought of another thing: PWS has come out with their comp w/ flash suppression muzzle device that while it does reduce flash, it is NOT rated by ATF as a flash suppressor.

This is primarily a comp, with some flush reducing ability and is classified purely as a comp. I spoke to a fellow from PWS a couple weeks ago and they will be releasing it in HK threads soon.

Hey! I should have checked back here sooner, I didn't realize I had some replies. Ya I spoke with PWS and they said their FSC version will be out in a few months. They did have the other version Is it called the dtnc? or something like that? But they discontinued them and I cannot find one. Problem is being in NY I bought the rifle with a flash suppressor so my FFL has to permanently fix a compensator on there before I can pick it up. So whatever I decide to go with is basically permanent. I cant wait the couple of months for PWS to come out with the fsc version, because it will have to sit at my FFL until then. Is it possible to re thread a JP compensator to fit the 15x1 threads?

Very Senior Member

I just bought my PWS DNTC, but got the last one from one of PWS' retailers. If you're willing to wait I'd consider the FSC, as it offers flash suppression but from what I understand the ATF considers it a non flash-hider device.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads