+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PTR-91 vs Springfield M1A (M14)

Question PTR-91 vs Springfield M1A (M14)

I had my mind set a long time ago that my first .308 Autoloader would be a PTR-91 (HK-91 Clone) and today I started to rethink that and now I am stuck between a PTR-91 and a M1A. One of the biggest factors is which is less prone to jaming? I take it the M1A since tons of Vietnam vets say the M14 was was better if you dropped it in mud or the like compared to the M16. Of course I know at PTR-91 isn't a M16 and fuctions differently with it being Delayed Blowback. But whats your take? Is the PTR-91 more prone to jaming than the M1A or about even? Because I am a survivalist when it boils down to it. I want a rifle that has less of a tendancy to jam and parts are easy to come by if we were invaded and I was to become a militia man fighting against the invaders. And I know that the M1A would have plenty of parts availible from our military since on a small scale the M14 is still used. I still kinda lean to the PTR but at the same time there is things about the M1A I like better. Basically I want a rifle that is .308 that is well suited for combat use. I already have a AR-15 A2 which is a hell of a good military rifle but it only being 5.56 still could do better since there can be more stopping power than that. I have a Romanian AK47 but even though 7.62x39 ammo is extremely plentiful in the world I don't care for the range since the range and accuracy of that round isn't as good as a 5.56 or a .308 which I want since that has the best of both alot more power than the 5.56 and a little more power than a 7.62x39mm and range and accuracy alot better than that. So what do you all think? What are the pros and cons of of the M1A and PTR-91?

"Yippy Kiya Mother******!" John Mcclane

Desperately Needs Treatment

I'd say the PTR is slightly more reliable, both are fine rifles. Both accurate, I'd pick the rifle that fits you best, yes I own both + Fal's, Sig AMT, Cetme, AK's in .308 and a host of other .308's.

Bill
    www.triggerwork.net
    Trigger services provided for most military semi rifles, HK USP's, P30's, and P2000's.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

A SIG AMT? Wow Bill. I've never seen one of those in person.
    "A man is generally what he feels himself to be."

My personal opinion is the PTR will be easier to maintain in the field than the M1A, but I think the M1A will be the more accurate rifle.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Quote Originally Posted by bspring View Post
    I'd say the PTR is slightly more reliable, both are fine rifles. Both accurate, I'd pick the rifle that fits you best, yes I own both + Fal's, Sig AMT, Cetme, AK's in .308 and a host of other .308's.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by GZire View Post
    My personal opinion is the PTR will be easier to maintain in the field than the M1A, but I think the M1A will be the more accurate rifle.
    Disagree with both of these statements. M1A's, especially with USGI parts work absolutely on par with anything HK has to offer. It's also very easy to clean and maintain, being over 50 years old and a very simple weapon system. Not to mention, there are a ton of options for stocks, barrels, and other custom parts that you can apply to an M1A/M14.

Now I know I'm a bit biased, being an M1A owner myself, but a good friend has a PTR and will agree with me.

Here's mine:

Too many mods to list but if you'd like to know more, PM me.
    HK45- Heinie Straight 8's, Bill Springfield Trigger Job
    P30L- Heinie Straight 8's, Bill Springfield Trigger Job
    Fabarms FP6 Tactical
    Knights Armament SR-15 E3

Sweet lookin SOCOM! Is that the Troy stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunschlinger View Post
    Sweet lookin SOCOM! Is that the Troy stock?
    Yes sir it is. Talk about modular, you can set this thing up for anything and muzzle rise is almost totally negated.

HKPRO Professional

Smile which one

Both are great rifles. I would prefer the ptr for simplicity of design and maintenance. You can field strip an hk/ptr down to the firing pin without a tool in matter of seconds. The delayed blowback system loves to run dirty.
    G-3's have been chewing sand and everything else for a long time all over the world. The Fal beat the g-3 in numbers fielded. The only feed problems i have ever had with ptr, not an hk, was couple of alumminum mags that hung about a 1/16 of an inch too low causing occaisional misfeeds. the m-14 is the comeback kid for a reason. Lots of them have been pulled, out dusted off & are reliably servivng our operators in all theaters now. . G-3 mags you can get everywhere for cheap, M1a mags cost more and there are some shotty ones that are brand new. The best ones I have found are the CMI M1A mags in the blue wrapper. Those are by far the best, but cost around $40 per mag.
    Depending on budget and the glass you want, could change your decision either way. If not worried about it get both and lots mags. Best of Luck to ya. Wolf
    Last edited by tmbrwulf; 01-15-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

They're both great rifles, so either one would be a great choice. I say you should stick with your initial instinct and get the PTR. Mine never jams, even when i feed it steel-cased Wolf ammo. There are lots of cheap mags available too, and tons of parts & accessories. In contrast to the M14; the 91's are WAY easier to mount optics to, which is exactly what you want if you are concerned with range and accuracy... Go with your gut, get a PTR ;)
    PEW PEW PEW

I feel the need to chime in on this subject being that I have been deployed to Afghanistan for the last 10 months and the weapon I carry is a M14. I can't say enough about that weapon. Its extremly reliable and easy to clean. I shot 340 rounds out of it the other day and there really was no need to even clean it because there was almost nothing in the chamber. I have only had one malfunction the entire time I have been deployed or even since I have had the rifle. For a service grade weapon im not sure how much more accurate it could possibly be. Its no sniper rifle but with M80 ball ammo you can hit people sized targets at 800m all day long. With M118 LR its even more accurate (of course). We have targets set up out to 1200m and with a couple adjustment shots you can even hit them out there. Our rifles have the Sage EBR stock, and Leupold MKIV 3.5-10X40mm (M3A) scopes on them. Its a pretty sweet set up, although I do like the troy stock that one fellow has better. Now the bad is you do need an allen wrench to take apart the sage stock so you can disassemble the rifle, but once you get past that part its extremly simple to take a part and clean.

I have never shot a PTR-91 and I know this is not even close to a good comparison but I did own a CETME and that thing doesnt come close to the M14. I'm sure the PTR-91 is a MUCH better rifle and would be on par with the M14. I hope it is atleast because I was looking to buy one.

Well theres my .02

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links