+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HK 91 Ammunition Question...

Default HK 91 Ammunition Question...

Okay, I have spent the last WEEK searching the Internet for an "Official" answer to the question: Which ammunition is SAFE (& preferably most accurate on avg.) to use in my HK 91 (NOT a "clone" I'm not sure of the year it was mfg.; guessing late '70's early '80's since it was purchased new '80-'83)? Yes, I know that it's 7.62x51mm / .308Win (Rifle has been a safe queen for the past 30+ years - less than 100 rounds though it; I just got it from a family member), but there are some differences in pressure, case thickness, length, etc. between 7.62x51mm & .308Win. Also which ammunition to stay away from (i.e. blows up rifle, not accurate, dirty, non-reloadable)? I need FACTUAL information, NOT opinion PLEASE.

The markings on the rifle are:
    Left Side:
    HK91 A020### (Serial number obviously)
    Below that, a small hexagon shaped mark with an "x"? in it & an "N" at the bottom, next to HK and an Antler mark.

Right Side:
    Made in Germany
    HK Inc.
    Arl. Va. 22 201
    Kal. .308

I've read every every answer on the 'net it seems like. Most are from years ago or are in reference to 5.56/.223, or HK "clones", and they ALL are conflicting; some say only mil-surplus, some say doesn't matter, some say one type/brand/etc. is good or bad... Arrrgggh!!! Makes me want to shoot something... Oh, wait; I CAN'T!! I don't know which ammo to use safely!!!! Grrrr... And now I discover the announcement on this board that ALL the HK office staff will be out for almost a month so I can't call... Here's hoping ONE of them might still read this and have an answer for me (PLEASE HELP!!!).

Ammunition I'm considering:
    Any inexpensive (hah!), reloadable, non-corrosive, mil-surplus
    BVAC 7.62X51 NATO Mil-Spec New OTMRP 130 Grain 3000 fps Open Tipped Match Rear Penetrator NATO Mil-Spec
    Ultramax .308 Win remanufactured 168 Grain BTHP 2680 fps
    Winchester .308 Win Super-X 150 Grain SP 2820 fps
    Federal .308 Winchester American Eagle FMJBT 150 Grain 2820 fps
    Federal 7.62 NATO Gold Medal Match Sierra Matchking BTHP 175 Grain 2600 fps
    Federal 7.62 NATO MK319 MOD 0 SOST 130 Grain Barrier Blind OTM 2925 fps
    Federal .308 Winchester Tactical Tracer FMJ 146 Grain 2750 fps (Heck, why not; could be handy)
    Prvi Partizan .308 Win (7.62x51mm) 145 gr FMJBT ???? fps
    PMC .308 Win (7.62x51mm) 147gr FMJBT ???? fps
    Federal 7.62x51 Lake City XM118LR 175 grain BTHP ???? fps

I REEEEEAAAALLY don't want to use anything that's not reloadable (i.e. steel case, Berdan primed, etc.), but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks in advance to any HK Staffer (or anyone knowledgable) for any help on this.

Roc
    P.S. Any opinion on best combo powder/bullet/etc for reloading for HK91 would be appreciated as well.

P.M. sent
    HK Customer Service
    cs@heckler-koch-us.com

Default ...And here is the answer!!!

...And here is the answer!!! (Delay in posting is my fault - Response from HK was VERY quick!!! E-Mail reprinted with permission and a really big THANK YOU to Sam & Travis at HK for this info; Awesome firearms AND awesome customer service!!!)

1. Which ammunition is SAFE (preferably most accurate) for use in my HK 91?
    The HK91 is a most impressive rifle, though intrinsic accuracy was not high on the list of characteristics when it was designed. Functional performance has always been the center of attention when HK firearms are designed and produced. You will have to experiment with various ammo to find the ones that perform the best for accuracy and further… at what distance they perform best. Some will be great at 100m and bad at 300m etc. The HK91 will fire nearly any 7.62/308 ammo safely.

2. Which ammunition to avoid?
    ALL ammo should be safe in the HK91 with the exception of STEEL case or ALLOY case ammo. Neither of these should be used under any circumstances. Additionally, when considering the unavailability of the HK91 and its value, it is STRONGLY advised that you NEVER use any sort of TRACER as it will compromise and burn the barrel and is highly corrosive.

**NOTE: Reloading is NOT recommended by HK for any reason.
    It is important to note, specifically with the HK91, that besides the dings in the cases, the chamber is “FLUTED” and as such renders the case totally useless after firing.
    >>If you are going to reload, you must acquire new or once fired cases from another source and then carefully consult a reputable reloading manual for formulation and projectile choices.

Any inexpensive, non-corrosive, mil-surplus, ball ammo will function well, but not necessarily perform accurately. Avoid ALL ammo that has been “sealed” against water etc as the sealant often used will compromise the chamber and reduce the rifle function very quickly.

Functional: (Anything running at least 2700fps and above)

Winchester .308 Win Super-X 150 Grain SP 2820 fps
    Federal .308 Winchester American Eagle FMJBT 150 Grain 2820 fps
    PMC .308 Win (7.62x51mm) 147gr FMJBT
    Federal 7.62 NATO MK319 MOD 0 SOST 130 Grain Barrier Blind OTM 2925 fps

Most Accurate: (168 – 175gr BTHP is preferred for accuracy)

Federal 7.62 NATO Gold Medal Match Sierra Matchking BTHP 175 Grain 2600 fps
    Federal 7.62x51 Lake City XM118LR 175 grain BTHP

>>>>AVOID Federal .308 Winchester Tactical Tracer FMJ 146 Grain 2750 fps

Respectfully,

Sam Bass
    Manager, HK Repair

Heckler & Koch
    5675 Transport Blvd
    Columbus, GA 31907
    Heckler & Koch

+ Reply to Thread

Links