+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TEST of Laserlytes new mini laser for H&K pistols

HKPRO Professional

Default TEST of Laserlytes new mini laser for H&K pistols

Many people have seen the new Laserlyte mini laser sight designed to attach to the rail on compact and subcompact pistols with a standard picatinny rail cross slot mount. H&K has now begun to send these out as part of some packages, notably the P2000SK .40 cal V2 LEM versions. I have noticed them packaged on some of the internet auction sites. The mini laser looks like a really good idea for a quick attachment when needed and even comes with an optional based which can be screwed to the bottom of the laser to hold a light if needed. These attached pictures from the website of Laserlyte accurately represent the sighting system and options.

I had noticed these and wondered about them. They will fit a wide variety of other pistols besides HK of course. I found one being sold by LAG Inc. out of california and bought it on line for a nice price. It arrived and I noticed when mounting it that the cross bolt screw seemed a bit small to act as a clamp in a picatinny rail but I snugged it down and began to try it out. It comes with allen wrenches instructions, batteries, and the extra base and screws for the light mount. Instructions indicate the two mini screws which are to be adjusted with an .035 allen wrench for windage and elevation. I fired it at 7 yards and found it consistently 12" low and about 8" left of point of aim. I made the adjustments and that isn't easy with an allen wrench that small, nothing happened. I tried taping it lightly and fired, still nothing. No matter how much I tried to adjust the screws they seemed to move but the laser didn't and point of impact was exactly the same each time. I did notice after about 30 minutes of attempted adjustments and firing that the end of the .035 allen wrench was now silver and appeared round or at least shiney. My eyes don't see things that small very well so it could have just gotten polished from going in and out of an allen screw. The screws felt like they were moving but nothing happened.

On Monday I will call Laserlyte to get their take on this and see what they have to say about the 1 year warranty. Till then, I think they have a great idea with poor execution or maybe mine is just a bad one and they will replace it with one that works. That remains to be seen. Until I use one that can be adjusted my recommendation would be for anyone interested to wait. Right now the first models aren't good enough to spend any money on. Retail is $149.95 and they can be purchased as cheap as $99.95.
    Last edited by flintsghost; 03-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.

I couldn't disagree with you more...
    I have one of these and when i turn the screws while the laser is on it moves quite smoothy left or right and up and down. I would say from one end of the turn to the othere covers about 6-8 inches either way at 10 yards... I have mine sighted dead on at 15 yards and it is just that. I have demounted mine from my gun and remounted at least 20 times and it has held its zero every time. With laser sight only i can shoot 1/2" groups at 15 yards. And for the price i would say it is one of the best laser only options out there for any subcompact model, especially since it was included with my SK 9mm. :P

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by traxter View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more...
    I have one of these and when i turn the screws while the laser is on it moves quite smoothy left or right and up and down. I would say from one end of the turn to the othere covers about 6-8 inches either way at 10 yards... I have mine sighted dead on at 15 yards and it is just that. I have demounted mine from my gun and remounted at least 20 times and it has held its zero every time. With laser sight only i can shoot 1/2" groups at 15 yards. And for the price i would say it is one of the best laser only options out there for any subcompact model, especially since it was included with my SK 9mm. :P
    That's the way I would expect it to work, however, that's not the way this test sample works. It may be a bad one and if so the company should stand behind it. I applaud your shooting that small a group at 15 yards. From appearances I would guess the laser dot covers at least a half inch at 15 yards making your feat all the more amazing.

Well hopefully they will send you a new one. Because there really isnt a bad way to make a laser unless cheaply made, which i didn't feel this was. But maybe mine is broken and actually works :P haven't test anymore besides the one i own.

I shot from a sandbag rest to test accuracy... when standing and shooting with the laser the results are much different but thats because i suck at shooting handguns without help.

bummer, my SK didn't come with one!! what are the manufacture dates of those that have it?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by traxter View Post
    ...Because there really isnt a bad way to make a laser unless cheaply made,
    Really? Doesn't ring true with regards to the two Lasermax's that broke on me. :p
    Owns HK and Glock Pistols.
    NRA/CCDL/GSSF Member- Glock Certified Armorer

Improve Your Handgun Shooting Skills- Handgun Drills PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    bummer, my SK didn't come with one!! what are the manufacture dates of those that have it?
    Mine is an AH marked one.. just bought feb 8th. Came with the laser nightsights and 3 mags in the package. Believe its only sold in the LEM trigger variation as this package.. .40 cal or 9mm. paid 799$ incase you were curious.

HKPRO Professional

I contacted the Police Supply I got it from and the owner indicated that for the most part they have been good but he has had several that would not adjust and he indicated the maker, Laserlyte, should stand behind it. I called laserlyte and they took a message and incated that their person responsible for same, Heather, would call me back. Still waiting for that call.

HKPRO Professional

Heather called me back. After discussing the problem she did tell me that she would be sending me a replacement unit today and I would then return my unit to the factory when the new one arrived. So dealing with laserlyte is everything one could wish for in dealing with anybody in the industry, so far. I have dealt with a few companies that are like that, RCBS, Leupold, S&W, and Dillon to name a few. If the new replacement unit works like it's supposed to I would have to put Laserlyte in that same group.

HKPRO Professional

Smile Laserlyte Came Through

The new Laserlyte assembly arrived by UPS yesterday afternoon, along with a prepaid, addressed, padded envelope to send the original back to them. Natually, it came some two hours after I returned from the range. So I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. That's always the way isn't it. But I was happy to get it.

I did set it up and put it on the pistol. Then using a rest and a aiming point 10 yards away, I proceeded to adjust the laser till it matched my sights. I do have a rest where I can hold the pistol firmly and could adjust the laser sight without moving the pistol. This brought the laser sight right to the point where the original iron sights are zeroed. Working perfectly. The wrenches fit and and the sights did move. Now all I have to do is shoot it.

One thing I did at the range yesterday was zero in a pair of Crimson trace grips. This was my first pair and they are on a SIG. I like the fact that they aren't on till I grasp the gun and my finger pressure on the side of the grip activates them. I can also deactivate them with a switch so they won't come on at all. Sadly, that kind of system is not available for an HK. But the Laserlyte system is an afordable solution, although it is necessary to be "always on" unless turned off with the small switch which I can't reach with my trigger finger. The support hand does need to do the activating unless one just turns it on and goes. Laserlyte also makes a small light that can attach to this system via a small weaver style base that screws to the bottom of the laser. I probably won't try that.

Apparently, whatever the "known issues" were with the sight, wrenches etc, they cured it in the current model that they sent me. The only real drawback to their system is using it through leather. Probably going to present an obstacle that is difficult to overcome. However, it is small enough to carry in a pocket and when you have to make a entry, then you can attach it. That's how I would use it, unless of course it was for home defense. It does work, it is compact and it is not near as expensive as any of the alternatives. And with a typical HK adapter will work with any of the HK pistols, newer or older. An adapter isn't needed on any with a picatinny type front rail like my P2000SK. A rail adapter would allow it to work with one of my USPc's but I got the mini laser for the SK and that's the pistol I'll zero it and use it with. One of my favorites.

Thanks Laserlyte.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links