+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Viridian X5L?

Default Who has a Viridian X5L?

Hey there. I was scopin out some light/laser combo's and saw the Viridian X5L. I want. Green laser with 4 different settings; steady on, rapid blink, medium blink and slow blink. Its range is 200 yards in high noon daylight and 2 miles at night! The light has 4 different options; steady on (100 lumens), strobing (140 lumens!), and I read that it has two reduced light levels which I'm not sure what they are. The batt. life is 1 hour continuous light/laser and 4 hours just laser. I love the green laser and what really sold me on it was the high output strobe and the amount of modes you can choose. The price on the website is 399. That comes with the rail adaptor which they sell for 49 bucks usually. I think that's a fair price after they include the adaptor. Plus I love the fit and finish of it. Reminds me kinda of the concept LAM on the Mk 23. I would choose this over the Surefire X400 any day when it comes to the price. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Oh yeah. Blackhawk also makes a holster for it which is money.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

do you have the direct link?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trying to catch up to TooSixy.

I have one, i tried it on, and just spent too much on it. if you want it i can cut you a deal, i think they are still backordered.

kmc0929@ecu.edu

what were your thoughts on it? Do you like it besides the price? How do you think it compares to the competition? Just curious. I too want to know before dropping money on one

EVS
    Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmc0929 View Post
    I have one, i tried it on, and just spent too much on it. if you want it i can cut you a deal, i think they are still backordered.

kmc0929@ecu.edu
    You had a thread posted that you wanted to trade your Viridian what happened to that thread? They are not back ordered I got two recently.
    H&K G36C
    H&K UMP
    H&K P7
    H&K P7
    H&K P7 M8 1 of 500
    H&K P7 M8
    H&K P7 M13 Hard Chrome
    H&K P7 M13 Factory Nickel
    H&K P7 M10 Factory Nickel
    H&K 45
    H&K USP Compact
    H&K USP Tactical
    FN FS2000
    FN Five-Seven USG
    GSG MP5 Clone
    Benelli M1014
    Sig Sauer 226 Hard Chrome
    STI USPSA 1911

EVS
    Very Senior Member

The X5L is really nice, the green laser is super bright. It could be a good or bad thing. The green laser is so bright at night that it will give away your position, you literally can see the whole green laser beam. The LED light on it isn't near as bright compared to the TLR-2. If you need a discrete laser and bright light go with the TLR-2, if you want super bright crazy Hollywood style laser go X5L. Also for your information only the TLR-2 is built to MIL-SPEC standards while the X5L isn't. However that doesn't mean the X5L isn't durable. TLR-2 is made of steel or aluminum while the X5L to me is plastic/polymer.

It isn't a HK part so it probably got deleted, but thats my fault. As for the laser... Honestly I followed this product from announcement to release and was really really excited about it. In my opinion, you do get a good package, it seems to be well put together and the design is good. I have a few problems with it. The controls just have too many options, I guess that can be good for some, but it just clutters stuff up. It is hard for me to just turn on the light, without the laser coming on first, then turning off the laser and having the light come on. Yes I do know how it works I just liked the TLR-2 type controls better. If you want a green laser, its probably the best, I have owned a few of the ebay ones, and this one while might not be as bright, is more refined at the point. Not very much "splatter". The LED it weak, but its extremely compact so you give and you take. In my opinion, it would be a good buy at $250 new, but thats just me. Another problem I had with it, and this is just an opinion with me, is that the main reason I have a weapon mounted laser is for deescalation of a situation, correct me if you think I am wrong, but in my opinion, a red laser is more intimidating than the green one. The likelyhood I will use the laser during the daytime is very low in my case so the green does not help. Final opinion, yes, they did a great job with the laser/light combo, it comes in a nice package, and they back it up well. However in my humble opinion its more of a range toy than a needed tool. For what Viridian has advertised, it lives up 100% to the claims. Also another problem I ran into, when mounted on a FNP 45, the only pistol I mounted it to, the button is just out of range for my pointer finger to make a solid press, as in I can touch it but its a stretch. With that said, mines on ebay if anyone wants it. I would rather go with a Crimson Trace or TLR set up.

Again these are just my simple opinions, I'm not a professional, nor a LEO, so don't get a hard on and start picking apart my review.

PS. The mounting system was pretty simple, but not tool-free. Nothing compares to the installation and removal of the UTL...
    Last edited by kmc0929; 06-30-2009 at 06:07 AM.

My Viridian X5L came in yesterday for my P30. I was starting to get a little frustrated with the on/off button being on the right side, until i figured out you can swap controls by holding in the 2 top buttons for 2 seconds. Cool feature! Also had to figure out the controls. Once you memorize the settings, its really easy to use.

As for that green laser...HOLY CRAP ITS BRIGHT!!!!. I'm on the 7th floor of a condo building with train tracks behind me. I could easily see it a mile away at night. You can see the beam and can track it back to the shooter is the only down fall. My thought is, why do I ned a beam that strong for a hand gun? It seems overkill. I'd consider exchanging it just for that reason, but I love the form factor! Looks to be a bright sunny day here today so I'm going to test it out in the sun. Hoping the brightness works well and that will make be feel better about the intensity level.
    Steve
    HK 45 Tactical

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links