HKPRO Forums banner

Combat Competition vs. Custom Combat

6K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  coto20 
#1 · (Edited)
I added this question, late, to the title of another thread, but haven't gotten a response to this specific question.
Is anybody using one of these in matches or seen one in action? If so, which venue, caliber, and why did you choose the pistol. Need some help deciding which route to go!

Thanks.........Duke

Anyone??? Anyone??? Bueller??? Bueller???

See less See more
#2 ·
i will let you know when i get my 9mm combat competition off of layaway! once i tried the hybrid lem/match trigger i had to get it.

#3 ·
I have a USP Combat Competition 9mm. I don't use it in matches (USPSA) because I would have to shoot limited (funnel jet). Guess you could shoot steel plate and just remove the funnel jet. I sent mine to Gray Guns for a competition trigger package and they did an awesome job. The trigger pull in DA is about a 1/16" and the reset is about a 1/16". Very, very smooth. I do have an issue with the gun as far as accuracy consistancy. My groupings aren't as tight as my other guns. I've tried ordering a Jarvis barrel but they are sold out and not putting them into production until the middle of this month. All in all, extremely reliable. Never had any problems what so ever with the gun.

#4 · (Edited)
UH OH here we go again! Where's Kost? ;)

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101623

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103662

Custom Combat-

V1 DA/SA
Novak sights, black target rear with Hi-Viz front
9mm & .40 came w/ Jet Funnel, .45 model without JF
Adhesive grip panels
Came in colors (Tan,OD,Black)

Combat Competition-

Hybrid LEM x Match Trigger or V1 DA/SA
9mm & .40 only w/ Jet Funnel, no .45

Furthermore, the front Hi-viz beads are green on the .40's and red on the 9mm's.

#26 ·
UH OH here we go again! Where's Kost? ;)

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101623

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103662

Custom Combat-

V1 DA/SA
9mm & .40 came w/ Jet Funnel, .45 model without JF
Adhesive grip panels
Came in colors (Tan,OD,Black)

Combat Competition-

Hybrid LEM x Match Trigger or V1 DA/SA
9mm & .40 only w/ Jet Funnel, no .45

Furthermore, the front Hi-viz beads are green on the .40's and red on the 9mm's.
Sorries bud - Im just gonna watch this one hehehe =)~

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses and links. I had, previously , read the thread with HK4Life aand Kost digging into the history and different color/trigger options. I tried to steer my question more towards the competitive use of these pistols. HK4Life, have you had any accuracy problems with your CC like j28s has? (BTW thanks j28s for your honest evaluation)

#6 ·
My only problem was the rear sight needed to be drifted a little to the right. After hundreds of rounds fired reseted, and hitting consistently left, I decided it was in fact the sights. So I drifted them a little and now I could not be happier.

I also did manage to lose the Hi-Viz front bead the most recent time I shot it. Novak is supposed to be sending me a couple more free of charge.

#7 ·
I guess you can change to the red if you want to now. We've changed them on my sons Para and keep some extras of 3 colors in the range bag. So, how is you Combat Competition different than the Custom Combat given it has the same trigger system?

#9 ·
From the HK website:

USP Custom Combat
An enhanced version of the USP, the USP Custom Combat offers significant additional features making it well-suited for its more specialized role.

Built on a standard USP full-size frame, the Custom Combat and the similar Combat Competition are the complete handguns for the competitive shooter. Novak fiber-optic sights, jet funnel magazine wells with extended magazines, and match triggers (Combat Competition only) are the principle upgrades.

Looks like the Combat Competition is available with the match trigger (V1/DA) as well as the hybrid system in LEM?

#13 ·
My USP Combat Comp. is standard V1, not a Match trigger.
Exactly right, and the AI date code Combat Competition in my LGS is also a non-Match trigger. However, this year, the HK website was updated and changed to reflect the verbiage as stated in my post above. Look at the picture as well depicting the Combat Competition - the trigger has an overtravel screw.

#18 ·
The Custom Combat came first and was sold through CDNN. It only had a standard V1 trigger. It only came in an OD Green or Desert Tan frames. The "story" behind this gun is HK had an oversupply of the OD Green and Desert Tan frames do to slow market demand. To blow them out they created a "custom" series. Colored frames had decal black grip panels that broke up the solid color. Worked a deal with Novak to have an exclusive on the USP Novak Combat sights for a period of time. I believe I saw the sights on Novak’s site now. After that Novak could sell the sights to the aftermarket. Added Jet Funnel and high cap mags. CDNN sold them out quickly. Mine were in the $800 range when I got them from CDNN. The Custom Combat was never an HK Catalog item. Only sold through CDNN.
The Combat Competition was brought out as a factory catalog item about 2 years later. As an $1100 item this time. The V1 Combat Comp was identical to the Custom Combat with only one difference, the black only frame. Then they launched the Combat Comp with the hybrid trigger about 8 months later. There was an article about this version in one of the gun rags. The author stated the hybrid trigger was developed by the US HK Shooting team. I understand they worked with a well known gunsmith in Northern Virginia. The V1 variant will not have the trigger stop of the Match Trigger. This is the only way to tell when you are buying a NIB hybrid model. I was sold a V1 represented as a hybrid unit variant. I learned the hard way. It took many calls with the dealer and HK directly to convince the dealer there were two variants and it was a year for me to get my money back. Just in time for the hybrid release.
This info has been gained by buying one of each version of the Custom Combat and Combat Competition in 40 cal. AND talking directly with HK and CDNN and two knowledgably forum members on here. Opinions after owning each. Watch the forum and Gunbroker for a Custom Combat as they are selling for less due to the lower entry fee and have Jim Grey tune the V1 trigger. It will outperform the factory hybrid version. Less creep and smoother. Also HK included a flyer with the Combat Competition providing the source for the decal grip panels. If you need replacement. Also the supplier offers the panels in rubber or the sandpaper version. The rubber is a nice upgrade over the sandpaper if you only shoot on the range.

Sorry for the long post but there has been huge confusion by owners and dealers with these two offerings. I wanted to lay it out and help clear some of the confusion. Example, someone has a USP V1 CC in .40 listed on Gunbroker this week as a Custom Combat. It isn't! It is a black frame and a catalog Combat Competition. Very easy mistake as the seller shows a picture of the HK label on the black case. They now list it as CC on the box. My Custom Combats state THAT on the box. The Combat Competition is listed as CC on the box.

Whew. If you wanted to shop for one or know the difference you are at the end. If you don't care you hopefully left this tread a long time ago. : ) Oh, I love the Novak sights and the Jet Funnel mags. The sights make the gun. Also Novak will drill out the rear sights and add lite pipes of your color choice now. It’s on his site.

#19 ·
The Custom Combat came first and was sold through CDNN. It only had a standard V1 trigger. It came in an OD Green or Desert Tan frames (maybe black, can’t remember but I know I have not seen one in black for sale as a used gun). The "story" behind this gun is HK had an oversupply of the OD Green and Desert Tan frames do to slow market demand. To blow them out they created a "custom" series. Colored frames had decal black grip panels that broke up the solid color. Worked a deal with Novak to have an exclusive on the USP Novak Combat sights for a period of time. I believe I saw the sights on Novak’s site now. After that Novak could sell the sights to the aftermarket. Added Jet Funnel and high cap mags. CDNN sold them out quickly. Mine were in the $800 range when I got them from CDNN. The Custom Combat was never an HK Catalog item. Only sold through CDNN.
The Combat Competition was brought out as a factory catalog item about 2 years later. As an $1100 item this time. The V1 Combat Comp was identical to the Custom Combat with only one difference, the black only frame. Then they launched the Combat Comp with the hybrid trigger about 8 months later. There was an article about this version in one of the gun rags. The author stated the hybrid trigger was developed by the US HK Shooting team. I understand they worked with a well known gunsmith in Northern Virginia. The V1 variant will not have the trigger stop of the Match Trigger. This is the only way to tell when you are buying a NIB hybrid model. I was sold a V1 represented as a hybrid unit variant. I learned the hard way. It took many calls with the dealer and HK directly to convince the dealer there were two variants and it was a year for me to get my money back. Just in time for the hybrid release.
This info has been gained by buying one of each version of the Custom Combat and Combat Competition in 40 cal. AND talking directly with HK and CDNN and two knowledgably forum members on here. Opinions after owning each. Watch the forum and Gunbroker for a Custom Combat as they are selling for less due to the lower entry fee and have Jim Grey tune the V1 trigger. It will outperform the factory hybrid version. Less creep and smoother. Also HK included a flyer with the Combat Competition providing the source for the decal grip panels. If you need replacement. Also the supplier offers the panels in rubber or the sandpaper version. The rubber is a nice upgrade over the sandpaper if you only shoot on the range.

Sorry for the long post but there has been huge confusion by owners and dealers with these two offerings. I wanted to lay it out and help clear some of the confusion. Example, someone has a USP V1 CC in .40 listed on Gunbroker this week as a Custom Combat. It isn't! It is a black frame and a catalog Combat Competition. Very easy mistake as the seller shows a picture of the HK label on the black case. They now list it as CC on the box. My Custom Combats state THAT on the box. The Combat Competition is listed as CC on the box.

Whew. If you wanted to shop for one or know the difference you are at the end. If you don't care you hopefully left this tread a long time ago. : ) Oh, I love the Novak sights and the Jet Funnel mags. The sights make the gun. Also Novak will drill out the rear sights and add lite pipes of your color choice now. It’s on his site.

#22 ·
... The V1 variant will not have the trigger stop of the Match Trigger. This is the only way to tell when you are buying a NIB hybrid model...
Not exactly.

The Hybrid model also has a bobbed hammer, as opposed to the spurred one on the V1, and no manual safety/decocker lever. :)

#23 ·
SORRY! Got Skeered!

I had posted this message earlier, but then Got Skeered one of you hosers might try and buy out from under me. Oh Duke of little faith in your HK brothers! Y'all resist the dark side, I am currently corresponding with this guy about a purchase. Just want to know your opinion. Thanks, Duke. Previous post below.

Sorry guys, but I'm having too much fun to let this one go. How does this baby fit into the theories? BTW, I may be buying this baby, so I'm calling first dibs, no skips, shotgun, etc.! http://www.gunsamerica.com/97663084...Pistols/Polymer-Frame/USP_9MMX19_LEM_COMP.htm

No screw on trigger = not match hybrid. No fiber optics = ??????
Custom Combats and Combat Competitions had fiber optic front sights. I think this is a standard USP 9mm LEM with jet funnel and night sights, but it says COMPL on the box. ???????????????????????? Let's hear it!

#25 · (Edited)
I did not see any pics on your link so I do not guess without pics. If you are looking for a USP Combat Competition in .40 WITH hybred trigger I have an extra. Send me a PM.

#29 ·
How did you post those pics? I guess you had to click on each pic seperately and do the properties thing, right? HK4Life I did pm you.

So is this pistol newer than the ones with the Novaks? If so, why doesn't it have the LEM/Match hybred?

#31 ·
How did you post those pics? I guess you had to click on each pic seperately and do the properties thing, right?
No, I just use a world class browser(SeaMonkey)/Operating System (OpenSuSE 11.1) to post them. :)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090623 Incognilla/1.1.17 (incognu)

#30 ·
Very interesting. A lable I havent seen yet. The sights are not Novak Combat sights. The contract did end so it could be HK switched to night sights? The trigger is not a match as it does not have the trigger stop shown. the hammer does seem to be the bobbed version and it does not have the decocker which is consistent with the LEM. The label on the box does state LEM so it would not appear to be the hybred version. No knocks fromn me as I want one of each version. HK has been all over the board with the CC. Thanks for the pics. I love each version and glad HK gives choices. I just wish they cataloged all the varients arounf the CC designation.

#33 · (Edited)
The last version of the Combat Compietition WITH Novak sights with lite pipes came in two versions. V1 with Decocker and Hybrid without Decocker and with a bobbed trigger and match trigger with stop visible in pics. Kost, this appears to be HK's newest version without Novak and with a pure LEM trigger option. Question would be does the factory offer the hybrid option any more. Note to all- The HK facility in AL has offered to do the conversion to hybrid if you have the parts or if they have them in stock over the past two years. Hopefully they still offer that service. This is a great pistol with or without the hybrid trigger.

#34 ·
The last version of the Combat Compitition WITH Novak sights with lite pipes came in two versions. V1 with Decocker and Hybred without Decocker and with a bobbed trigger and match trigger with stop visible in pics. Kost, this appears to be HK's newest version without Novak and with a pure LEM trigger option. Question would be does the factory offer the hybred option any more. Note to all- The HK facility in AL has offer to do the conversion to hybred if you have the parts or if they have them in stock over the past two years. Hopefully they still offer that service. This is a great pistol with or without the hybred trigger.
Don't do it Coto!! Resist! RESIST!

#35 ·
HK will set the pistol up however you like, so it's no surprise to me if this Combat Comp. is standard LEM and not the LEM x Match Hybrid.

The new pistols do come with Mepro. night sights instead of Novaks, although I think I already mentioned that. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.