+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help -- USP 9 or P30L?

Default Help -- USP 9 or P30L?

So, my next pistol purchase has cost me plenty of sleep -- I've had to really think about what I want out of my next firearm purchase.

Finally, I decided my next pistol will be a 9mm (a 45 will be next); I finally narrowed that down to either an HK USP 9 (full size) or a P30L. There is a very nice USP 9 V1 available locally for $650 -- it looks essentially unused, maybe 500 rounds. This appears to be a nice deal; however, from, what everyone is saying here the P30L is really a nice shooter, and super accurate. My online survey tells me a P30L is roughly $850 -- the price difference is not really an issue, as I have have set aside $900 for this purchase.

So, I know you might be tempted to say get them both, but at this time that is not an option. Is the P30L really that much nicer than the USP?

Thanks for you input.

Cheers,
    DJM
    PTR-91 F
    PTR-91 KFM4

Unrepentant HKHolic

The USP has proprietary accessory rails (might need an adapter if you will be clamping stuff to your pistol), whereas the P30 has the non-proprietary rails and will accept most all clamp-on accessories without an adapter. The P30 has interchangeable grip panels to suit more hand sizes, while the USP does not.

The USP seems to me to be even more "overbuilt" than the P30, although both are outstanding. The USP has the more robust dual-spring recoil system, while the P30 has the single-spring+nylon-buffer recoil system like the compacts. The USP has the much more aggressive grip texture which I prefer.

Of course there are other differences between them too. Considering the price difference, I personally would choose the USP based upon my likes and needs, but either pistol is a definite winner in my book. ;)
    HK is the way!

Thanks for your thoughts. I am (sorta) leaning toward the USP -- it is local, I can do a FTF deal, and I suspect the USP will be super reliable and durable. I had hoped my Glock G17 would satisfy my ultra-durable poly pistol needs, but the grip angle was not suitable for me, and the trigger -- just terrible...which is why I sold the Glock.

Not too worried about the accessory rail I will not hang anything off the gun.

From what I have read the USP might be slighly less accurate than the P30L?

Thanks,
    DJM

Desperately Needs Treatment

I have both, but if I could keep only one it would be the USP 9mm.

Very Senior Member

Does USP compact have dual springs too?

i do have P30L and love it, only thing i dont like about USP is the grip. (i have small hands)

Desperately Needs Treatment

Cool

I would go with the P30L. I have the P30 in 9MM. I also have the USPC SS40. Plus the HK45. I like the spidey grip on the P30 and HK45. But the grip on the USPC SS40 feels OK in my hand.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

I'd go P30L unless you plan on one day having a match trigger or LEM installed. The P30L has better ergonomics and has the advantages of a more 'modern' design and finish. Also, if you ever choose to buy a P30, P2000 or P2000sk you can use the same magazines in all which is not the case with the USP.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by djm68 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I am (sorta) leaning toward the USP -- it is local, I can do a FTF deal, and I suspect the USP will be super reliable and durable. I had hoped my Glock G17 would satisfy my ultra-durable poly pistol needs, but the grip angle was not suitable for me, and the trigger -- just terrible...which is why I sold the Glock.

Not too worried about the accessory rail I will not hang anything off the gun.

From what I have read the USP might be slighly less accurate than the P30L?

Thanks,
    DJM
    I doubt there is any appreciable accuracy difference between them, and I feel quite sure that either of them are far more accurate than the average shooter can utilize. The original USP was based on a 40 S&W cartridge, so the USP 9mm is scaled down from that. Most other brand 40s are scaled-up 9mms, so the USP 9mm is way overbuilt to say the least. Ultra-durable poly pistol you say?? The USP 9mm is all that and more. If you find that the trigger is not quite as good as you would like, you can also have the match-trigger put in which is way nice. If you like the way the USP 9mm feels in your hand (I sure do), I say go for it. ;)

Very Senior Member

Personally I have never understood comments like the following:
    "The USP has the more robust dual-spring recoil system, while the P30 has the single-spring+nylon-buffer recoil system like the compacts."
    Why don't I understand? Mainly because the recoil system does the same thing whether it is dual spring or single spring. Either it works, it does not work, or it is worn out and in need of replacement. I would not let something as simple as this alter your judgment of choice. That being my two cents my vote is for the P30L. Better ergonomics, universal picatinny rail, 'night sights' and a tad bit shorter in length I believe.

Good Luck and either way, you will be 100% satisfied.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies."
    Robert E. Lee

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Skang View Post
    Does USP compact have dual springs too?. . .
    No, only the fullsize USPs and the Mark 23 have dual-spring recoil systems. They are tanks. . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links