+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slide lock

HKPRO Professional

Default Slide lock

So whats the deal with HK's and the slides not locking back after the last round? All 5 of my HK's do not lock back the majority of the time. I've heard recoil springs are too strong when new and need to be broken in. I dont agree with that assessment. My uspc 40 duty gun has 3000+ rounds down the pipe and still suffers from the issue.

It's gotta be the mags. I need to thoroughly clean all my mags and see if that helps. I also think throwing some extra power wolffs in them may help. Does hk use weak springs?
    What springs do you order for :
    p2000/uspc 40?
    hk45c is on their website........p30 9mm uses the 9mm 15 round usp spring right?

On a related note, when I was at the range last time I used 9mm mags in my p30s 40 with no issues. They fed the 40 fine. The prob use the same springs.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

It may well be your grip. I was taught to shoot both thumbs forward; but I end up with both thumbs forward and pointed up a bit - 10% of the time I'm riding the slide release with my right (shooting hand) thumb. I'm working on modifying my grip to put right thumb over the outside of the left to avoid all slide releases...including if I'm fortunate enough one to day to find one...a P30 LEM 9mm.

The USP release sticks out quite far...nice for some things, not so nice for some thumbs forward grips. I think the P30 has the "worst reputation" for thumbs and slide release though.

HKPRO Professional

Thanks ...I do shoot thumbs forward. I'll watch that.

IMO the culprit is the slide release lever. Being a lefty, I used to get inadvertant slide lock. Diagnosis was the meat of my trigger finger pusihing it upwards-it doesn't take much to cause this. I took the slide release to a gunsmith and had it shaved down to about flush with the slide. Hasn't happened in over 5 years.
    USP's are best Cocked and Locked.
    Not joining the NRA and owning a gun is like watching your roommates cable TV and not sharing the cost.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Youre betting your life on this grip after 3k+ rounds with these issues on a USPC?

I have 7 fingers/2 thumbs that should be gripping the pistol/1 using the trigger=10,
    for those of us that use our fingers to count.

If I take 2 thumbs off, that should be gripping, my grip isnt as secure, giving me
    less control/accuracy, plus those 2 thumbs are out there flying around in the
    'recoil wind' inadvertently hitting slide release/mag release/safety lever...Im
    missing something?
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

HKPRO Professional

HUH? Maybe it's late, but you lost me. What do you mean....betting my life on a grip?
    FYI the issue seems to be less common on the uspc.
    The agency I'm with treats a slide lock error as a nuisance.....Their answer was always giving you a new magazine. If a gun doesnt go bang when you pull the trigger....magazine exchange and rack the slide...back in business.
    Last edited by HKdan78; 04-03-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

glockdan78 wrote >> My uspc 40 duty gun has 3000+ rounds down the pipe and still suffers from the issue.
    I do shoot thumbs forward.

I assumed youre LEO/armed while on duty? *I guess it is late, sorry*

HKPRO Professional

I guess I didnt understand how a grip modification was jeopardizing my life while on duty? I dont think it would take much to slightly change my grip if I am inadvertantly riding the slide release.

Unrepentant HKHolic

It's funny, I have NEVER even once had a HK fail to lock back on me, EVER, with ANY HK I've ever shot...
    Wonder why I'm so special?
    -Wes
    Various HK models
    One SigSauer 9mm. P226 TacOps

Glocks are like small block chevy's... Over abundant, and rarely impressive.

I thought I was lost there too glockdan. When I took my training classes a few of the instructors said that it was a good indication I WAS keeping thumbs close to frame, etc, etc..

Of course, I am modifying my grip ever so slightly, as mentioned, to move that right thumb away. The USP's slide release is huge; and I'm still willing to bet that is an issue. Granted, it could be mag springs; but unlike everybody else, I've got mags that have stayed loaded, shot lot's, loaded for months again, and never an issue. Granted, I should probably change them out. I know my "problem" is grip as even with new mags and when the gun was new I'd have the same issue you're having.

Try the grip modification and you'll see the incident level go down.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links