+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P2000sk Sight Picture

Very Senior Member

Default P2000sk Sight Picture

What is the correct sight picture when shooting the P2000 SK?

Is it 6 o’clock hold or point of aim?

Yesterday I found this on M4carbine. Not sure if they're an HKPro Member.

"My USP shoots low, what the hell?

When shooting the USP, position the front sight ON TOP OF your target, rather than just below it. In other words, cover up the bullseye with the front sight, and fire. This is how the USP is designed to be shot. If you use the “pumpkin on a post” method of aiming (bullseye ‘resting’ on top of the front sight) you will shoot low."

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64480

I've always shot 6 o'clock or "pumpkin" and with my SK always shot low. I tried point of aim and my accuracy improved. Have I been shooting wrong this whole time?

This poster also mentioned many people shooting left on the HK. I'm in 1650 rounds on my SK and still shooting left. If you guys or gals shot left, how long did it take before you stopped? I think if by 2500 rounds it isn't corrected I'm just going to adjust my sights
    Dushan
    "Not by strength by guile"

-IWI TAVOR 16"
    -HK P2000 SK V3 9mm
    -Walther "HK" MP5 A5 .22
    -Springfield Armoury XDM 4.5" 9mm
    -Springfield Armoury XDS 3.3" 9mm

Desperately Needs Treatment

Lollipop hold is great for a round, known diameter bulleye at an exact known range but is an absolutely horrible sight hold for anything else. It's a crime that some folks train people to shoot this way. Point of impact is an arbitrary distance above the front sight, the distance being determined by the bullseye diameter.

I've never seen a primary source that HK is setup to "shoot the dot", the white dot on the front sight. They may be. (I don't consider M4Carbine dot Net to be a primary source.) If anyone has some time I guess we could search the .PDF version of the HK manual and see what's there.

My P2000SK (and all my HKs) shoot point of aim. Tip of the front sight (maybe the dot) is where the bullet will imapct.

My P2000SK trigger pull was so hard in standard LEM I was shooting left too. Reduced the pull to about 5.5 pounds and she's dead on. Years of 4.5 pound M1911s didn't help my trigger control with hard pulls.

-- Chuck

Unrepentant HKHolic

My NIB p2ksk & NIB USPc were shooting to the left when I first got them, I wasn't use to the grip and was treating it like my fullsized USPt, after realizing this it took me a couple range visits to fully correct it. Also I started using more meat of my trigger finger for a more consitant trigger press(more towards the middle section rather than more towards the tip).

Very Senior Member

chuck s-

According to my "P Series Operator's Manual," "P Series pistols are function fired and zeroed at the factory at 25 meters, point of aim, point of impact" (Pg 16)

So I guess it is point of aim.

My SK is V3, SA/DA, only 4.5 lbs on single action. I switched from a Glock (plus other reasons) because I wanted a lighter trigger.

amstaffHK-

I'll try more meat. On the flip side, my using the tip I avoid a lot of trigger curling.

Thanks for your help gentlemen

Desperately Needs Treatment

"Point of aim is point of impact" is well and good if we know what the "point of aim" is.

The middle example is how combat pistols are normally setup. The bullet will strike the center of the target right at the point of aim.

I'm not sure what the "point of aim" is in the left and right examples.

-- Chuck

I'm bumping this 2+yr old thread because I'm not sure if the last post is accurate, or definitive for the P2000SK. Is the SK considered a combat pistol? Does HK recommend using that middle sight picture? I'm having a hell of a time with my SK. I can achieve fairly tight groups, but for the life of me I can't predict where the group is going to placed. I had Meprolight tritium sights installed aftermarket, so I'm not 100% sure if they are properly aligned left vs. right, but I have noticed that I tend to land most of my shots to the left of the bullseye at just about any distance. I can't remember where I read this, but I first tried covering the bullseye with the front dot, then I tried the 6o'clock position, but I don't feel as if I'm getting consistent results.

Obviously, it's become extremely frustrating when you have to essentially guess where the proper aim should be in addition to determining if there is some shooting technique (or lack thereof) that is causing poor accuracy.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Inconsistent results is either the ammo or the shooter. Even if the sights are way off... the bullet should hit the same place every time, if you're aiming at the same point every time. It just won't hit where you're aiming.

Proper sight picture on HK's is "cover" - which is none of the three pictures in the previous post, but actually putting the front sight dot so it's covering the desired point of impact.

My SK was putting bullets through the same ragged hole, but well to the left of center. I thought it was me... then I looked at the sights... front sight was visibly misaligned on the slide. Moved it where it should be... and the bullets moved to where they should be, too. :-)

Note that this is still a bit of an inexact science. Most folks say HK's are zero'd at 25 yards... but given that there's only about 1/2" of distance between center of bore and center of the front sight dot... if you're shooting at shorter ranges than that, POI should be no more than 1/2" lower than POA... probably much less.
    Last edited by Noncentsical; 02-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Paul

HK45c FDE LLEM, P2000SK .40/.357 LLEM, USPc .45 SS LLEM, USP .45 SS LLEM w/TLR-4, USP SD 9 JF Hybrid
    Walther PPS 9mm OD, FN FS2000 OD, "Remelli" Versamax Tactical, M&P 15/22, Browning BL-22, RWS 34

Surprisingly, I never thought to actually look at my sights for center alignment. After doing so, it looks like my front sight is positioned too far left of center. So now I'm even more confused because shouldn't that move my bullets RIGHT? Looking at the rear sight, it looks like it may or may not be shifted ever-so-slightly to the right.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Yes, Front sight left of center = impact to the right

Some folks (me included) just have to learn to grip the SK in a way that yields good results. Losing the full use of the pinkie has differing impact on different people...

I might just bring it to a local shop and ask them to center both front and rear sights, and then see what happens. I honestly don't think it is my grip or shooting technique because I've had a friend shoot it and again the majority of misses were left. Very, very frustrating not being able to send a bullet where your sights say it is being sent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links