HKPRO Forums banner

H&K USPc 40/LEM and XS Bigdot sights

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  89stang 
#1 ·
Anybody have a review of the XS BIG Dot sight.? Was wondering if it is a worthwhile
upgrade to the stock sights.

Also looking at Heine's or a company called Tactical Aiming Solutions.

Not really concerned about great accuracy, just a good group out to no farther than 25 yds.

I know they are a tactical, in close sight but I was needing something a little bigger to see since the eyes are getting a little weaker. Also, does the bigger dot cause any holster problems?

Thanks

#3 ·
There is "A" place for X/S sights, but they are not for everyone. I use them on my P7's because on that platform, I shoot them well, they fit how I use P7's, and they are the only sight that I can shoot with both eyes open anymore. They work well for situations where you are working moving targets in low light. For many folks that is a good thing. For well developed shooters who know how to properly run their sights, and are well versed in how to properly read their sights for proper application and balance of speed and accuracy, the X/S's are of no benefit. I've had them on several Glocks and returned back to Heinies or 10-8's, as I was too limited with the X/S's for handling very difficult shooting problems. My Glocks are my hard use training guns. I've got over 50,000 rounds through 3 separate Glock 9mm's, so changing the sight picture I am used to looking at on them is a no-go. I do not shoot nearly as much with my P7's, and I am used to looking at the X/S sight picture on them. As your eyes age, for many people the X/S's are the only sight they can really see, in which case they can be learned easily, but you just won't be able to hold the same accuracy standards you could in your youth.

Another are where I have seen some good success is with people who are not really "shooters", but have to carry a gun as part of their job. That is the case with many of today's L/E and military people. In this case, I have found that they tend to do better with the X/S's under stress shooting situations because they are easier for them to figure out. These are often the same people who will never put the effort into learning how to properly read their conventional sights, and for these folks, the X/S's can be a real lifesaver.

Hopefully, this is enough pro's and con's to help make a decision.

#4 ·
Be aware that the rear sight which comes with the Big Dot set will NOT fit the compacts; it is intended for the full size pistol. When I ordered my set, I questioned the guy at XS at length about this; he assured me that they knew the difference. Wrong. Wasn't even close.

When I called to complain, they insisted that I send my slide in (on my dime) so they "could see what was going on." I don't think so, pal. I KNOW what is going on.

I ended up just using the issue rear USPc sight. The Big Dot is a bit "cramped" in that narrower notch, but it is definitely usable... for close-in work. As nyeti stated, it isn't worth much for any sort of precision work. However, my USPc .40 isn't for precision shooting; I carry it occasionally, and that is all.

All the marketing BS aside, the Big Dot is a real boon for aging eyes- like mine- for limited applications. I usually carry my HK45C, and the huge dots on those issue sights are plenty big enough for my diminishing vision... so far.

But if I needed to put something larger and easier-to-see on another pistol, I would look at something other than the XS Big Dot; due to a combination of the limited utility the Big Dot offers, and their attitude.

#5 · (Edited)
I've been looking at XS too, but they don't have one for compacts. (I have USPc 9mm too) And what I have learned from all the reading is exactly what they said above. Which is :

-Great for fast shorter distance engagements.
-Great for aging eyes.
-Very fast learning curve.
-Not optimal for accuracy at some distance.

Additionally, what I've read that isn't mentioned here is that, although great for short distance combat type situation, they are NOT necessary faster than other types of sights. (Provided that you put in enough time to practice both)

So, because of the fast learning curve and it's adequate speed/accuracy, it seems that xs sights would be great for either people with bad eye sights OR non-shooters who won't/can't put in time to learn other sights. But for us "shooters" that enjoy practicing and is aiming (heh..a pun) to achieve optimal accuracy AND speed, XS is not the sight for us. (provided you have decent eye sights)

For me, I've decided against XS, it's between heinie and mepro right now...

#6 ·
There's a video someone will link us to that shows XS sighted pistols hitting targets at 100 meters.

I've had these sights on two M1911s and a Glock 19 and they work very well. My HKs have conventional three dot sights (although I prefer 2 dot or dot-over-bar sights).

-- Chuck

#7 · (Edited)
There's a video someone will link us to that shows XS sighted pistols hitting targets at 100 meters.

I've had these sights on two M1911s and a Glock 19 and they work very well.
THERE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

The problem is that the guy says some thing like "We are doing this (video) without any out-takes....NO editing....HA HA HA !...OK I've missed a few times". So, he did edit it...and exactly how many times did he miss before connecting ?

Glad XS sights works for you chuck. Do YOU shoot accurately with this sight at longer distances ?

With that question to chuck, I'll quit my yapping. I don't have any experience with this sight, other than reading posts about it on the internet. So, I'm just summarizing what I've read for you guys. I'll look for people like chuck who has the sight to provide further info.

#9 ·
"So, because of the fast learning curve and it's adequate speed/accuracy, it seems that xs sights would be great for either people with bad eye sights OR non-shooters who won't/can't put in time to learn other sights. But for us "shooters" that enjoy practicing and is aiming (heh..a pun) to achieve optimal accuracy AND speed, XS is not the sight for us. (provided you have decent eye sights)"

This pretty much sums it up well. As a counter to LSP's post. Any issues with customer service with X/S is a rarity. They are generally regarded as having some of the best customer service in the industry, even if you don't like the express sights. There are a ton of folks who are some of the top shooters and trainers around who don't use their express sights, but use bunches of their other products.

Sights are a very personal thing. It is best to try before you buy with others who will let you shoot their pistols. I have changed what I like over the years as I became a better shooter through both practice and attending better training. Age and individual eyesight changes have also forced many shooters into sights that are better suited to their needs rather than what they want.

#10 ·
Simple is simple. The stigma is missed shots, not what sights are on your pistol.

Here's the XS 24/7 Big Dot sight picture on one of my M1911s (YOU try holding the camera and getting this right!). This sight has a learning curve of about 37 seconds. The only thing you have to change is you "shoot the dot." A highly accomplished shooter with perfect eyesight at a couple of my pistol courses uses these sights exclusively. When I shot his pistol for a few range cycles I ordered a set the next day.

Just how Big are the Big Dots?

Next to a a 27/7 small dot:

And the small dot next to a Novak tritium front sight.

These are my preferred Dot-over-Bar sights on one of my M1911s. No confusion which is the front sight with these or the XS sights during the draw stroke. If I could find them for my HKs I'd be using them right now. With 3-dot sights I'm using Green front and Yellow rear lights.

-- Chuck

#13 ·
these are the first 1911 style sights i've seen available for the p2000, i wish i'd known about this a week ago when i ordered my trijicons :(

i asked heinie if they could do custom work for a p2000, and they said no. anyone know of any other non-traditional sights for the p2k?

#16 ·
Thought so. Them "getting a shot at it" isn't the point. The point is, why should _I_ have to spend more money to send my slide in to rectify a situation that I didn't cause? ESPECIALLY after I made a detailed inquiry- when I ordered the product- about the possibility of this specific issue occurring, and was assured it wouldn't?

Yes, like any other vendor, I'm sure they see more than their fair share of product that has been gooned-up by a customer. The difference here is, the guy I spoke with (both times) was aware that I am not your basic hambone kitchen table gun butcher. Our first conversation- when I ordered- was quite long and detailed. And the supplied rear sight was simply too large to fit in the USPc's rear dovetail; that's what was "going on".

If they had offered to pay shipping both ways, I probably would have sent the slide in. But me have to pay to send their incorrect item back... nope. And it isn't the ten or fifteen bucks; its the principle.

Whatever... sorry I bothered you.

#17 ·
It didn't bother me. I never said anything was wrong with you or your choice. If it wasn't worth the few bucks to try to get the problem resolved, fine. Again, I would have simply asked them to cover the shipping if they were wrong. For what its worth, most companies on stuff like this will not front you the funds to send it back. My ONLY point was that X/S is not one of the companies known in the industry for being turds (and there are plenty that are), and your situation was a RARITY-indicating that it was a unique and not normal situation.

#20 ·
I had the XS Big dots installed on my USP Compact at the XS shop in FT Worth. Was there so I road tripped to the facility and they did the install while I waited. Great people... no problems. They DID say before they put these on to the USPC, that they only have 1 size for al HK models. They are designed for the FULL SIZE HK and will fit on the Compact but with one problem. The dovetail for the rear site is deeper on the USPC and the "vertical alignment bar" in the center of the rear site, actually is almost completey hidden below the top level of the weapon/dovetail. It's so small, it's virtually unusable for us old guys with old eyes. In fairness, they did explain this but I though, let's give them a try... But... unfortunately, I pickup that big dot just fine but the rear site is virtually non existent on the USPC.

I have some pictures I'm working on but they need to be re-done to better shoe what;s really happening. Needles to say, I tried to work these out at the rang, but just couldn't get the hang of them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.