+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing old extractor without loaded chamber indicator with a new one

Default Replacing old extractor without loaded chamber indicator with a new one

I have a USP 40 full size, with AD date code, and extractor is worn. This extractor does not have the red colored loaded chamber indicator nor does it extrude outside frame to indicate a loaded chamber.

Is this changeable with a new extractor with loaded chamber feature? Would it work or should I stay with old style extractor?
    H&K HK45
    H&K HK45C (BA/DE)
    H&K P30S 9mm
    H&K P30S 40S&W
    H&K USP Compact 40S&W
    H&K USP Compact Stainless 40S&W
    FNH FNP-45, FNX-9 & FNX-40
    Glock 19 RTF2, 9mm
    Sig P226, 40S&W
    Sig P229 40S&W
    Springfield XD 45
    Ruger SR1911

Unrepentant HKHolic

The USP has never had a LCI so your replacement will be the same as the old one. Even if you use an extractor from an Expert the slide is not cut so the LCI will function like it does on the Expert or Elite. You can always try the LCI extractor from the Expert and see what happens. Either the LCI will show or it won't but I do not think it will affect function one way or the other.
    Join the NRA
    On the 8th day God created HKs.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.

Desperately Needs Treatment

When you say the "extractor is worn" what do you mean? Not extracting well?

Visually checking the chamber is a poor way of ensuring the pistol is loaded (or not!) as it requires light. Opening the slide about half way and feeling inside the ejection port for a cartridge works every time, light or dark, and also doesn't take your eyes off potential threats. Something you can practice with dummy rounds. Some of my instructors can do it one handed. They retract the slide in the normal way (reach over, thumb to the rear) and feel with their little finger. I retract and feel with my trigger finger.

-- Chuck

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Big Bore: would swapping extractors work on the USP TACTICAL, or is it's slide milled similarly to the regular full size USP?
    "The solution to a given problem is found not by answering a question
    correctly, but rather by posing the correct question." ~Me

Live free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
    When you say the "extractor is worn" what do you mean? Not extracting well?

Visually checking the chamber is a poor way of ensuring the pistol is loaded (or not!) as it requires light. Opening the slide about half way and feeling inside the ejection port for a cartridge works every time, light or dark, and also doesn't take your eyes off potential threats. Something you can practice with dummy rounds. Some of my instructors can do it one handed. They retract the slide in the normal way (reach over, thumb to the rear) and feel with their little finger. I retract and feel with my trigger finger.

-- Chuck
    Hi, chuck. I disassembled my USP 40 slide last night to clean. This was a police trade in bought from summitgunbroker.com, and the pistol was very clean, but had not been cleaned well. After punching out the roll-pin, extractor was taken out to be cleaned. The extractor claw's lower edge seem to have more pronounced angle than other HK pistols I have. Glock 23's extractor seemed to have corner edges at the upper and lower edges of the claw, but HK all seem to have a slight curve angle. I have yet to go shoot thus USP 40 along with a new HK45 I have not shot. The extractor may work fine...

The extractor does have a discoloration, so I wouldn't mine having it refinished...

Anyway, thank you for sending me the V1 control lever and detent plate. They work fine and fit perfectly. I will be sending out V3 to you Monday.
    Last edited by thunderstrike; 12-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

The Tactical and USP use exactly the same slide. From what I can tell from looking at mine the only difference between a Tactical and USP extractor is the red top on the Tactical's extractor. It looks to me if you want the visual LCI on a USP you could paint the top red or put in a Tactical's extractor but I will not swear to it. LCI's are not something that I pay much attention to.
    Discoloration on the extractor is normal and many new pistols have that discoloration. It is due to the way the harder metal of the extractor takes the finish and is not an indication of wear.
    Don't sweat the extractor unless you have a problem with it. It sounds pretty normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
    The Tactical and USP use exactly the same slide. From what I can tell from looking at mine the only difference between a Tactical and USP extractor is the red top on the Tactical's extractor. It looks to me if you want the visual LCI on a USP you could paint the top red or put in a Tactical's extractor but I will not swear to it. LCI's are not something that I pay much attention to.
    Discoloration on the extractor is normal and many new pistols have that discoloration. It is due to the way the harder metal of the extractor takes the finish and is not an indication of wear.
    Don't sweat the extractor unless you have a problem with it. It sounds pretty normal to me.
    Thank you for the info, especially about the discoloration. I am looking for to taking USP 40 to the range next week. Will post a range report.

+ Reply to Thread

Links