HKPRO Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P30 .357 SIG barrel available!!

34K views 96 replies 34 participants last post by  TerminalBallistics 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a source from Europe for P30 barrels in .357 SIG.
You would have to take a .40 and exchange the barrel.
These are not HK OEM barrels, but they are top quality from an Austrian manufacturer.
The price would be $245 for the regular one and $260 for the L version + shipping.
At this point I want to feel the waters how many people are interested in such a barrel and I don't have any in stock.
Anyone interested, please let me know at marc@mdwguns.com

#5 ·
Is that as sure as the delivery dates we hear for years now for the 416??
HK several times stated that they would not get into .357 SIG?!
They quit the P2000 in .357 SIG. So what would be the "cause" that would change all of that?

#7 · (Edited)
HK in a sig would be nice. A HKc .357 on gunbroker sold for $599 seemed like a good price. The agencies who have gone to the sig rd. are very pleased with them. I wish HK still made some in the sigs. I'll put a link to Pete's page it is a nice read. One reason i carry a Glock 32. BTW i bought a Glock 24 just to have a .357 longslide. The 24 has a 6.02 inch barrel so i cannot wait to buy a LoneWolf sig barrel for it. Speed!

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/40.357.compare.htm

#9 ·
IPSC allowed .357SIG to be used in Standard Major, because some countries does not allow anything over 9mm for sport use (namely Denmark and Australia, but there are more). This upped interest in this cartridge a little. Before, it was dead horse here.

#13 ·
Well Todd, these are all wonderful words.
If there is something you know for a fact, why don't you share that with us.
Otherwise I thank you for your uplifting opinion.
Relax with the attitude, stud. Seriously, you posted this in the Handgun TALK section, not one of the numerous for-sale sections. As such, one would assume that TALK about 357 SIG P30's would be fair game. And I did share what I can. If that's not enough for you, sorry.

#12 ·
I just paid HK $300 for a 357 Sig barrel for a p2000sk. I had it on order only for a few weeks despite being told to wait months. The CS rep stated that HK was phasing out all 357 sig, but I guess the order takers dont know whats going on higher up. I hope HK does come out with a 357 Sig P30.

#14 ·
I am relaxed.
Don't you think it's a little unbrotherly if you know something more to share this here?
See, I would as well just rather buy a P30S LS in .357 SIG right out of a box.
But from what you are implying, there would be only one model since it would be for a contract.

#16 ·
Don't you think it's a little unbrotherly if you know something more to share this here?
I don't know what "unbrotherly" means, but like plenty of other HKPRO regulars there are things I can share and things I cannot. Insofar as this topic is concerned, between the possibility that events could transpire to change what is expected and the confidential sources of information, "HK might have reason to build some P30's in 357" is as much as I'm going to share. You can ascribe as much or as little value to that information as you personally see fit.

See, I would as well just rather buy a P30S LS in .357 SIG right out of a box.
But from what you are implying, there would be only one model since it would be for a contract.
I'd go so far as to say it's premature even to guess that. Until the procurement hits the street, the spec is still subject to change. Once it hits the street, HK would have to determine whether a P30 is a good contender. If the P30 is a good contender, then they'll at least make some guns to submit for testing. My guess -- and it's only that -- would be they'll only go into full ramp production (including commercial sales) if they win the contract.

Having said that, I've already twisted some ears (and arms) trying to get my hands on one if they build any, even just as prototypes for testing.

#17 ·
So it's safe to say that we will not see any (if at all) of these for years!
Since:
1. The big mystery agency (HSA?) has not even put out the bit yet.
2. Once the bit is out HK would have to submit a few prototypes.
3. Once the customer (which is not a sure thing) decides for the P30 HK would have to built them in the numbers they are willing to buy.
4. Any surplus of this would then be sold on the market.

Since we know that HK is not exactly fast in their administration it will be a long time before we see them.
The next thing would be, that those few .357 P30 would bring a premium.
See, I would like to have my P30 .357 SIG before the spring!
Oh, just to make that HK safe: This spring 2011! ;)

Interesting part is who this agency would be.
A PD, unless you are talking about the NYPD, would hardly get the number together.
The NYPD will stay with the 9X19 for the cost alone!
So it would be a federal agency and the HSA has already .357 SIG (P229) and HK P2000.
But there are other feds who would might be in the market?

#22 ·
First off I have a grand total of ZERO insider info and I say that in all sincerity.

...but think about what Federal alphabet soup folks would be in the market for a new 357 Sig pistol and it will take you all of about two seconds to figure out.

Certain guys that protect the El Presidente's 229's are quite long in the tooth and another bunch of guys that rack an obscene amount of frequent flyer miles are also in the market for a new pistola after their Sig 250 fiasco.

#25 ·
Less than $10 a box for 9mm if you look hard enough.

I don't really understand the hype with the .357 Sig round. I have owned HK USP Compacts in .40 S&W and never cared for the snap. From what I have heard from others, the .357 Sig is even worse due to the increased pressure. I am sure the ballistics are great, but I prefer a more controllable weapon, and something I can train twice as much with for the same cost.

Anyone here have experience in the same HK platform with both .40 and .357 Sig? How do they compare?

#42 ·
Less than $10 a box for 9mm if you look hard enough.

I don't really understand the hype with the .357 Sig round. I have owned HK USP Compacts in .40 S&W and never cared for the snap. From what I have heard from others, the .357 Sig is even worse due to the increased pressure. I am sure the ballistics are great, but I prefer a more controllable weapon, and something I can train twice as much with for the same cost.
Anyone here have experience in the same HK platform with both .40 and .357 Sig? How do they compare?
Here is what the people at Alliant Powder Company say about the round:

".... the .357 Sig is basically the .40 S&W cartridge necked down to take 9mm bullets. This cartridge was developed specifically for the law enforcement market. It was intended to duplicate the ballistics of the highly regarded 125 Grain JHP .357 Magnum load as fired in a 4" barrel revolver. This, the .357 Sig basically does.

This is without a doubt the most ballistically consistant handgun cartridge we have ever worked with. The standard deviation for every single load developed was less than 10 FPS. The average SD was 5 FPS. This is impressive for any cartridge but especially so for a handgun. The small bottleneck and high working pressure of the round must both contribute to this amazing consistancy, but regardless the results are impressive."

After carying the 357 SIG for many years. The report is somewhat louder than a .40 but, I cannot find any appreciable difference in felt recoil between the two. When I went looking for the P2000sk I waited until I could find it in 357 SIG. I carry factory rounds in the sk, but practice with my reloads, which cost considerably less than a box of 9mm from WallyWorld. 9mm bullets are cheap and the round is easy to load.

#26 ·
The .357 SIG does not have the snap of the .40.
Also the .40 has this unpleasant pressure wave you specially feel when you standing next to the shooter.
I carry now for 16 years the .357 SIG. Starting out with a P229 I had/have G31, G32, G33, P2000, P2000sk, Conversions in Beretta, USP and even a 1911 Nighthawk.
I still carry the P2000 in .357 SIG if I am off duty.

#34 ·
MarkDW, what is the reference to you made about the FAMS fiasco and the P250? I'm curious as I work part-time at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque, NM. About a year ago I had a customer who was a FAMS firearms instructor up from Artesia and he was raving about the Sig P250 and what a great pistol it was. I had not heard they had problems with them. What happened? Thanks!

#35 ·
MarcDW,

You can 10-3 that request. I did some searching on Google about the P250. What a POS! I'll never recommend those again. As far as I can recall, I don't think I have sold any P250s to anyone. That makes me feel a little better. I'll have to put those on the shelf with Taurus!

#37 ·
MarcDW, the BATFE tested three pistols for their duty weapons and they were rated as far as reliability and other things. The P250 failed big time, so Sig Sauer filed a complaint with the higher-ups over it, saying that "reliability" of a weapon is not that important if the other criteria were met! Here's a link to the article. Pretty interesting reading:

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

#38 ·
Thank for posting this.
Interesting, I guess you have to admire their efforts!
Never give up! Too bad their engineers did not work as hard.
It is really a shame how Sig Sauer from being a leading company sank by now into the ranks of "one of the gun manufacturer" with not too many new products.

#41 ·
Well, this summer is pretty much over.
Like most people here, I would love a P30 .357 SIG.
However HK sees so far not a market for it so it seems.
Anyone who wants to take advantage of this round still can with one of the IGB barrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.