HKPRO Forums banner

Variant 3 Detent Plate question/help

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Sammy Bono 
#1 · (Edited)
I switched out the V1 plate for the V3 yesterday on my USPc .45, and with the V3 plate on, there is an audible click just before the very bottom of the control lever sweep, and then again at the same spot on the way back up. It's not from the plate/sear axle contact.

Everything function checks fine, but it doesn't do this with the V1 plate.

I noticed the V3 plate has a tab on the left side, that the other plates don't have. Is anyone aware what this tab is for, or if it's what is causing the clicking?

I just want to be sure something isn't off internally that may affect function down the road, or cause premature wear.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thank you.

V3 (aforementioned tab shown)

V1

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I did a little more research.

Two full size USP .45's, both V1, have the detent plate with the tab, yet they don't make the click near the bottom of the control lever sweep, up or down.

Three USP .45 Compacts, all V1, and none have the tab.

Now, all V3 detent plates, across all the USP models, whether full size or compact, and regardless of caliber, have the part number of 214254.

But interestingly, the V1 detent plates, for the full size and compact, have different part numbers. The full size is 214099, and the compact is 214949, and I'm assuming the only difference is the tab. The slide plate and compression spring have the same part numbers across all USP models as well.

I placed a tab version and a non-tab version of the V1 on top of one another, and they are identical on the outer-most contours....the only difference is that the non-tab plate has more metal, whereas the tabbed plate has less metal, but the outside edge of the tab essentially gives it the same contour where it contacts with the slide plate.

It doesn't seem like it should make any difference, but the clicking is only noticeable when the V3 plates are installed on either the full size or compact. Peculiar. So long as I didn't botch something on the install. :)

Compact plate on the left

Full size plate on top

#4 ·
Interesting, I thought my full size plate did not have tab.

After you post I pulled out the old parts and yep there is indeed a tab.

I do not remember a click on my gun with V1 plate either.

Strange the V3 is clicking, can you overlay them and take picture?

Not sure how you can botch installing detent plates.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I botched anything. Everything is function checking fine, although I haven't had a chance to actually shoot it yet. I've just never done this before, and wanted to be sure, as I'm still relatively new to HK. SIG pistols were/are my forte.

I didn't touch anything else, so I can't imagine I botched it, but didn't know if the clicking was indicating I may have.

V3 on top of the Compact V1

V3 on top of the Full size V1

#9 ·
No function issues. Just annoying.

My guess is that the slide plate might be at a slightly different angle on the compact due to its smaller size. The click is probably the spur on the detent plate passing over the sharp angle of the slide plate.

#11 ·
I think S5TIIOwner is on point in regard to how the tab is contacting the slide plate.

I just tried all 3 plates on one of the Compacts. I'm obsessive with this stuff.

Both tabbed plates, Full size V1 and V3, have the clicking. Although, the Full size V1 doesn't click right before the end of the downward sweep on the control lever, but it does just as it starts to come back up. The V3 clicks in the same spot both up and down.

The Compact V1 doesn't click at all near the end of the downward sweep, either going down or up....but, it does click right before the control lever rests back to parallel.

#13 · (Edited)
I also noticed there are different compact control levers for these two variants. It appears it's more than just the S and F markings.

Is it necessary to swap this as well? The grooves and such look to be different. And if not necessary, why the differences?
There is no difference on the Full size 1 and 3 levers.

Thank you.

V3 Compact

V1 Compact

#14 · (Edited)
More research, for anyone interested. Part of my learning process here. :)

There actually aren't any differences on the axle, it's just the way the HKparts website has the part shown.

That Variant 3 in my previous post, I believe, is actually a Variant 4 that's upside down. I think this can be confirmed by looking at the Variant 2 control levers for both the USP Full Size and Compact on the same site, which are shown correctly. The USP V4 control lever for the Full Size is also shown upside down.

All the notches and such on the axles are the exact same, it's just that the actual lever is switched to the other side of the axle, and the detent plate stays on the left side of the frame regardless.

HK CS also confirmed the only difference between the V1 and V3 control levers is the S/F paint marking.

#15 ·
All correct, that's not a V3 lever pictured, the grooves are in the wrong places -- switched sides. I'm holding a V3 lever in my hand (see below) and it looks exactly like the V1 other than no engraved letters. (When I converted from V1 to V3 I just swapped the levers. Picked up a V3 lever later in a swap.) Since converted to LEM.

-- Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.