HKPRO Forums banner

HK p30 owners that carry

47K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Shadow106 
#1 ·
Hey I'm buggin yall again. My HKp2k is out the door and I want to use the new cash for a P30. I've held one and compared it's size to a P2000, but what I want to hear is stories of those that carry the P30 everyday.

How do you carry it? Where on the beltline? What holster? Just a T-shirt, overshirt? Does it print more than... say a HK45c? Does the butt end of the grip print? Your POV... is this a good concealable EDC?

Just some quick info about me. I can conceal the P2k and HK45c with flat base plate mags without a problem. I wear them in a CBST at 3:00... The HK45c with a overshirt just because it is def more chunky. Also I know I'll have to wear some sort of wife beater or undershirt, I'm ok with that and as far as carrying in hot weather. Well I don't anymore. I find myself always wearing basketball shorts if it's too hot outside so I gave up on carrying in sweltering hot heat AKA July.

I REALLY want the P30 but if this pistol isn't gonna be a good concealable EDC then I might take my money elsewhere. All help from yinz is appreciated as always.

#2 ·
..first of all i love my P30 9mm, is a DA/SA one. I carry this gun all most everywhere, i like to keep it "attached" to my body...actually is part of my body. Most of the time i carry it without the holster - the holster is too bulky -, just under the belt, with a shirt or t-shirt over it (because here in RI you cannot show the gun) in the summer time; the rest of the time i have an undershirt. This gun is not bulky at all, very easy to wear...doesn't bother me in anyway. I always keep it loaded with one bullet in chamber. The gun even loaded is very light, sometimes i just feel it there, in my opinion is the perfect EDC gun. It's the only one that is truly concealable and has the firepower.

#3 ·
I carry mine in a comp-tac minotaur IWB holster at about 5:00 to 5:30 and it keeps the grip in the small of my back. Untucked tshirt, or tucked in dress shirt and it is completely flat against my back and doesn't show up at all. The grip does get pushed against your skin(and hurts) when you sit down, but it's now just a habit of mine to move my shirt on the other side of it when I sit/stand in the car or a chair; otherwise I don't even feel it around town, and I've never had any of my friends notice it. An undershirt would completely solve that issue but I generally just don't wear one. I've never had any problems carrying mine and wouldn't want to carry anything else.

#4 ·
I carry 24/7/365 in either a Raven Concealment or an IWB from R. Grizzle Leather at 3:00. I almost always wear an Under Armour shirt underneath whatever I'm wearing (usually a polo) without ever printing. For a good holster that you don't have to wait for, I would look at either an MTAC or Occidental Leather.

#5 ·
I'll also say Occidental Stronghold is a great holster. I also have a R.Grizzle for my USPc .40 a very nice holster for less money. I have a fairly new P30s and would not hesitate to carry it EDC.

#7 ·
I carry my P30 on duty everyday. I know this is not the kind of carry you are talking about, but I do carry it off duty in a Blackhawk serpa paddle. I carry it at about 4:00 with just a shirt over it. I also serve legal papers off duty and just tuck it in the back of my pants when I am getting out of the truck. Either way I have never had any trouble keeping it hidden. You will never regret going with the P30, this coming from someone that buys, sells and trades every month or three trying to find the perfect sidearm. FOUND IT!!!!!!

#8 ·
I carried it everyday for about six months before trading it for a HK45. The P30 size is not a problem. If carried with an OWB holster (mine was the SnapSide by Crossbreed), the gun is easy to carry. I would carry it at the 3 O'clock position with an OWB holster, with the FBI cant.

For an IWB holster, I used the Crossbreed Supertuck which is the most comfortable holster I've tried. (I use this holster with my Sig Sauer P239, HK P2000sk, HK45, and HK45c. It also has the 15 degree cant.) I used this when the weather was warmer, with a button down Northface wicking shirt of some kind. I moved the P30 to the 4:30 position, on my belt. Here is where I had a problem.

I'm very fit and active and in the summer I did not use an undershirt. The aggressive "spidey" grip irritated my back after a long day with the gun. (The same happens with the HK45; therefore, I only carry this in cold weather. I use the HK45c in warm weather.) For me, the P30 grip does not lend itself to be the MOST comfortable conceal carry gun.

I realize I am annoying on this forum when people ask about the P30 as a CCW. I do think the P30 is a great pistol but other HK pistols are better suited for CC than the P30...namely the P2000, P2000sk, or HK45c.

If the PRIMARY function for the gun is CC, I think the P30 is a poor choice. If the gun is meant as home defense gun, a range gun, or a competition gun, then I think the P30 is a GREAT gun to purchase.

#9 ·
If the PRIMARY function for the gun is CC, I think the P30 is a poor choice. If the gun is meant as home defense gun, a range gun, or a competition gun, then I think the P30 is a GREAT gun to purchase.
I think I can use my HK45c as a EDC... It's a chunky little thing but I can carry it at 3 oclock with a button over shirt... and if I just want to wear a Tshirt I wear my CBST at 5- 5:30. The P30 wont be a primary IWB EDC. I just hope I can conceal this beauty if I have too... you know just incase the HK45c goes down... not to change the thread but have any of you experienced your EDC going "down"... like for a repair. Or how about having a HK EDC pistol go down?

I also posted on GT so if any of yunz are over there you'll see the same question.

#15 ·
I carried mine appendix under a t-shirt. While working it was carried strong side FBI cant about 9:30 position(lefty). The HK 45c carries worlds better. Something about the weight distribution I guess. I never notice it is on me it is so comfortable to carry.

#19 ·
I had a P30 for a little while and I'm 185 and 5'11, I carried it at 5-6 with a IWB Holster from Seraph. I loved it I didn't wear an undershirt, the grip texture wasn't that bad, and I had done a lot fo walking with it on and moving around. It was fine to carry. However I made a trade for HK45C and I am VERY pleased with how well it carries. It is far more comfortable than the P30. I WILL buy another P30 down the road but for an EDC the 45C gets my vote. The P30 is a close second in my book. Since you want the P30 man go for it, Great Gun, accurate, good capacity, you just can't go wrong with it. Good Luck with whatever you chose!

#20 ·
Thanks I just sent off my P2k today and everyone at the LGS was packing a G23 or G19 on their hip... I seriously thought they was carrying Glock 26's/27's the G19's are sooooooo small and concealable. I was sickened that I'm still thinking about going back to Glock. Lol. Well I have about a week to think about this so about this weekend we shall see what I get.

#22 ·
I definitely kept the holster it is actually a great fit for the 45C. When I do buy another P30 I will have a holster that fits both of my carry options which is great! By the way it's still holding up great. it is in the mid 90 here, and the comfort is still great, I have been wearing nothing but Shorts and T's. It hold the 45C quite tight to me so I don't flash it through my T. Still couldn't be happier with it!

#24 ·
Hey guys. Thanks for all the help, I held the P30 and the G19 side by side and I went G19 I'll spare you guys the reasons why... You guys can start the stone throwing ASAP. Lol. I still have my HK45c so does that mean I can stay on the forum? ;-)...

PS thanks for all your help.

#26 ·
Which gen. 3 or 4?? I personally like the gen3 's. The 9mm gen4 's had a couple spring changes weak ammo causing Glock to make a lower weight spring.(fte,ftf) This is what i was told Glock was trying and use the same spring in the .40's and 9mm's did not work. Beware of the Glock/1911 tough guys on GT. Remember the PM i sent take the knowledge with you.(just my .02) You can learn alot just stay out of the flaming. Congrats...BTW your not banned here yet, ;)

#34 ·
I have one, it is nice. Remember it is off body carry, so you have to be comfortable with that. Mine is government model and fits everything I own, with light attached and a spare mag. I use it for hiking and, but rarely as an edc. My wife likes it for carrying the p30l and a spare mag with her on road trips.

#33 · (Edited)
There isn't anything wrong with a Glock, I'd much rather beat that puppy up than my 45C. If you take care of it there isn't anything to worry about anyway. So I won't throw any stones, still a good choice, I'm sure there are a few reasons you made the choice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Glock for an EDC even though I wouldn't leave the house without my 45C, I would rotate it in.

#35 ·
My EDC is a P30 in an MTAC from Comptac. I used to carry a Glock 32, but moved over to HK a couple years ago when I put a P30 in my hand for the first time (that was a mistake!!)

I usually wear an undershirt and a buttondown or polo type shirt to conceal the pistol (heavier clothes in the winter of course). I have carried it in just a t-shirt, but you will feel the grip, no doubt. As far as size goes, it's not much bigger than a G19/23/32 and doesn't print very much.

I've also found that it's easy to over-worry printing. The sheeple out there just aren't going to notice you have a pistol if you do anything less than whip it out a blast off a round. The masses walk around with blinders on.

#36 ·
I carry mine with a belt clip that slides onto the accessory rail with some clothes and a cheapo IWB with others. I find it slightly large for my angular build but work-able. My wife can usually tell without a feel up. I find my government model slightly easier to conceal but much heavier. I like pistols large enough to shoot well. The P-30 fits this requirement to a tee.

#37 ·
I'm 5'8" and about 155lbs. I carry mine in a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB at somewhere between 3:00 and about 5:00 depending on what I'm wearing...Usually at about 4:30-ish, I'd say. I wear a tank top or undershirt to avoid the chesse grater effect, and it doesn't print as long as I don't wear any extra medium tee shirts. Sometimes the belt loops on my pants get in the way of the clip on the holster, so I may have to carry a little more foreward or aft (this is why I may go from 4:30 one day to 3:00 the next), in order to get a good positive clip on my belt. I could remedy this by buying leather belt loops for the holster instead of the clip that it came with, but it doesn't bother me too much. I just thought it was worth stating because some guys are very particular about standardizing the position of their carry rig, and are totally against moving it's position at all.

#38 ·
I don't have a P30, but my buddy carries his p30 IWB without a holster at about 4 o'clock. When he wears a loose button up or loose shirt he uses the Blackhawk Serpa holster.

#39 · (Edited)
After some trial & error, I've settled on the Crossbreed Supertuck at about 4 o'clock with a 5.11 5-stitch nylon belt (and a Wilderness 5-stitch belt is on order as I write this, as a stiffer replacement). I always wear a cotton T-shirt or sporty-type shirt underneath an outer shirt while carrying. With this set-up, my P30 rides & hides almost perfectly---somehow, even more comfortably than my old P2000sk did---with a reasonably swift/smooth draw and easy re-holstering.

If I lose a few pounds and get my gut truly FLAT, I will likely shift over to AIWB so that I can drop .5 second+ off the draw time and eliminate the risk of being made via an inadvertent bump-frisk. Until then, the 4 o'clock carry is quite secure, comfortable, convenient, and permits an adequately swift presentation.

#40 ·
I carried a Sig P229 .40 for almost a decade before retiring, and only recently sold it when I came into a P220 Carry Dark Elite. But I've been intrigued with HK weapons since the early '80's, and have gone through two USPC's in .40, prompted by my son's issue HK which has now evolved into his 2nd issue P2000 in 15+ years on the border. The compacts didn't work for me for some reason, but the P30 is absolutely perfect with the right grip setup. I carry it IWB in a holster made locally by Tueller holsters and I've found that many of my P220 holsters work extremely well with the P30. I'm not an expert by any means. Just an old fart that's been doing CC for over fifty years now. I know what I like and I know what I trust. Although the P30 is a recent purchase, I'm liking it better every time I put it on and go shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.