+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LEM versus LDA trigger

Default LEM versus LDA trigger

How would you guys compare the two systems? From what I've seen, with the LDA, after racking the slide, the trigger travels out to it's reset length, wherein when the LEM is racked, the trigger goes all the way forward. Is that accurate? Thanks.

Very Senior Member

On which model?

Unrepentant HKHolic

LDA require you to let trigger go completelly forward for follow up shots (it's reset point in same as start of pull point). LEM requires you to let trigger forward about same amount as HK triggers in SA mode.

So while both LDA and LEM have long trigger travel for first shot, LEM has significantly shorter reset. But if you will let it LEM trigger will go back to full forward position, well past it's reset point.
    Montrala

http://montrala.blogspot.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/montralaYT?feature=mhee
    Current: HK45C, P30L, P2000SK, MR223
    Past: P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41)
    Plans: USP 9 SD, MR308

Desperately Needs Treatment

Montrala has presented it in a nutshell. The LEM and LDA triggers are mechanically quite different but function very much the same.

I had an On/Off love affair with the LDA system stemming from my long association with the M1911. Carried a Para Companion for years and attended a couple of professional tactical pistol courses with it.

The main issue is the trigger is terribly busy as the reset is literally all the way out to the front of the trigger guard. The M1911 style safety lock if redundant and unnecessary yet requires the same thumb on top of the lever as a standard M1911. Unless Para Ordnance has an alloy frame LDA pistol these are quite heavy compared to alloy M1911s and HK LEM pistols.

LDA, though, doesn't come from the factory with that 9+ pound standard LEM trigger weight, but this can be reduced with HK springs.

-- Chuck

Unrepentant HKHolic

The LDA is a true DAO. You need to let the trigger all the way forward to reset it, which really threw me off when I tried one out.

There is also no doubt in my mind that HK has a higher overall build quality then Para. The gun I tried had recently been returned to it's owner from Para for repair because the hammer literally broke off.
    Owns HK and Glock Pistols.
    NRA/CCDL/GSSF Member- Glock Certified Armorer

Improve Your Handgun Shooting Skills- Handgun Drills PDF

I'm dabbling with the idea of going LEM. I shot a Smith & Wesson 3rd gen. DAO with the mag safety removed, and it had what I considered to be the perfect DAO on a hammer fired service type pistol. It was about 50% precocked. It's been a while, so I don't remember how the reset was.

The LDA and LEM are both fully cocked during slide cycle. Both are Single Action with a long two stage trigger. Neither had a "second strike" capability, a hallmark of a true DA pistol.

What HK calls the cocking piece is called the inner hammer by Para. Same concept. The only thing the trigger does in either is bring the previously cocked hammer back to the point it will have enough momentum to detonate the primer.

The hammer shown on my photo above was discontinued to prevent folks from trying to manually cock it.

The LDA is complicated by the desire to fit in a M1911 frame and preserve the grip safety and safety lock. Looks like this with the grip safety removed:

-- Chuck

The LDA Para could have done without the grip safety, and or the grip safety. There is a lot going on in that system.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
    Neither had a "second strike" capability, a hallmark of a true DA pistol.
    Sorry to disappoint, but LEM has second strike capability and also can be used in true DA in case of sear or sear spring failure. There is also LEM version for P2000/P30 (so called V0) series that has external de-cocker and allows LEM with DA first shot or just de-cock mainspring without pulling the trigger.

No disappointment. The LEM has second strike capability but can't be used as a DA pistol as there is no safe way to decock most models and if you can you have just defeated the entire purpose of LEM.

-- Chuck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links