+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiber optic competition sights for P30 / HK45

Very Senior Member

Default Fiber optic competition sights for P30 / HK45

I thought this should be in a seperate thread, as many probably have not read about the progress of the sights. This will be a cut and paste from a number of different posts, all leading up to today.

This first part is copied from another thread / member asking about HK 45 sights:

First off, you are welcome to do what I did, which gave me a perfectly acceptable result: I bought a .180 tall by .125 wide Dawson FO front sight for a Kimber, which has a bigger dovetail than the HK, and filed the dovetail down 'till it fit. Took me about ten minutes, shoots to POA, and I'm happy...But not happy enough.

I called everyone I could think of to inquire about getting some decent (competition) sights for the HK 45 / P30. I spoke to Heinie first, as they already make a set, but they refused, saying they would produce nothing other than the night sights they already make. Nothing without tritium, nothing with different heights, widths, etc. I also tried Novak, Warren, etc, with no luck. I contacted Dawson about making some sights months ago. Initially I got a no, but eventually I talked to the right person (thanks Chet), and I think we are headed in the right direction. I sent them my slide, and they are going to make a .180 x .125 FO and plain serrated front sight to fit the factory dovetail. And if possible (fingers crossed), I am having them make a front and rear set, similar to their M&P sights, with a .180 x .115 front sight, and a rear sight with a .135 wide notch. Now some may not like those demensions, but I'm funding the extra R&D costs out of my own pocket so that they will become a regular stocked item at Dawson, so deal with it

*UPDATE* I got a call from Dawson late last week. They are going to make a complete sight set, front and rear! Should be done in a week and a half or so, and they are going to ship my slide back with the sights installed. I'll shoot it as soon as possible, and if no changes need to be made, they will begin stocking them as a regular item. If anything needs to be tweaked, it may be jast a little while longer.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the slide back.

All right boys and girls, here you go.

Just got back from the range and I am very pleased. The sights are exceptional. Fine enough for precision shots, with enough daylight on each side of the front sight to still be fast. They shot to POA with Ranier 147 gr JHP Atlanta Arms ammo at 25 yards, and just a little high with 115 gr Federal. I suspect most won't even notice it, but it did print higher than the 147 ammo. I spoke to Dawson after I left the range and gave them the green light to start making / stocking them, so go ahead and call them if you want them. Keep in mind these will work for any P30 model (L, S, .40, etc) and for the HK45. At this time the configuration will only be plain rear with a fiber optic front, but if enough people ask for a plain front, they will make it. They will also make a front sight slightly taller, and slightly shorter for those wanting to change their POI a little bit. The rear is not serrated, but it has a very rough texture on it that (Dawson says) does the same job--and I'd agree.

Here is a link to the Dawson Precision web site page. www.dawsonprecision.com SIGHTS REAR:HK Rear Sights:HK Black Serrated Rear Sights Category

And the front. www.dawsonprecision.com SIGHTS FRONT:HK Front Sights:HK Optic Inserted Front Sights Category This page gives you the option of either the .115 wide front sight, or the .125 wide sight.

Last edited by razzman1; 07-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Very Senior Member

HKPRO Professional

Nice!

Dawson does great work.

WOW THAT IS EXCATLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR..THANKS A LOT BTW, HOW MUCH DID THEY CHARGE YOU..?

I am going to send my HK P30 L to them to install the larger version of the red FO sight and the rear with the Heinie Square 8 wide notch with tritium dot...THanks

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Pochos View Post
    WOW THAT IS EXCATLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR..THANKS A LOT BTW, HOW MUCH DID THEY CHARGE YOU..?
    Just an FYI Pochos, typing in caps is the equivalent of yelling. No need to keep the caps lock on unless for specific emphasis to a specific word or sentence.
    Carpe Noctem

Rule #10 Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it's empty!
    H&K P2000 VTGS
    H&K USP V2

Very Senior Member

A lot more than they will charge you , as I paid the R&D costs.

I think the retail price is $39.95 for each front or rear sight. Every Dawson sight I have ever purchased comes with an aluminum drift, so you should be able to install them yourself, as long as you have a vice.
    Last edited by razzman1; 07-09-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Very Senior Member

You have the .115 wide front sight on your gun, correct? What are the sizes of the stock sights? Im wondering if the .125 front would be too wide for the .140 notch rear for quick sight acquisition? Thanks for doing this.
    Last edited by bigdave24; 07-09-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Using the stock rear sight (.160 notch) in conjunction with a Dawson .125 Fiber Optic front would be a big improvement over the stock setup. It's too bad Dawson didn't make a rear sight profile that could be used for malfunction clearance similar to a Heinie Ledge. Other than the funky rear dots on the stock rear it is not all that different than the obviously more refined Dawson.

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this project Razz.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave24 View Post
    You have the .115 wide front sight on your gun, correct? What are the sizes of the stock sights? Im wondering if the .125 front would be too wide for the .140 notch rear for quick sight acquisition? Thanks for doing this.
    I used a .125 Burwell gold bead front with a 10-8, .140 rear on a FS M&P and it worked very well. Quick and didn't seem to lose much in the way of precision. That said, I would prefer a .115 front.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links