+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Night Sites - HK Combat

Desperately Needs Treatment

Good info orfeo. Can you share the date coding system Meprolight uses?

OP, the part number I gave you is HK's part number for the gr/gr night sights.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by ITD1944 View Post
    Good info orfeo. Can you share the date coding system Meprolight uses?

OP, the part number I gave you is HK's part number for the gr/gr night sights.
    They never really explained the system, but they told me the codes for the latest 2 batches at the time. If he buys from Midway, he'll get fresh ones. The ones I've gottten from HK didn't have datecodes on them at all, and they were not as bright. Get 'em from Midway.
    HK is the way!

Very Senior Member

If you buy Heinies, have Heinie install them. My install looks great and the alignment is perfect. Definitely worth the $80 to not have to risk somebody buggering up my beautiful HK. Heinie knows what they are doing. And turnaround time was lightning fast. I had my slide back within 3 days, IIRC.
    No Compromise.

Skip the Meprolight "Fuzz-Dots". Go with an offering with Trijicon tritium lamps, like Heine sights. Equal brightness, but better clarity due to the lenses they use. You'll also know right away the year they were made, instead of having to contact the manufacturer.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Atrox-Venator View Post
    Skip the Meprolight "Fuzz-Dots". Go with an offering with Trijicon tritium lamps, like Heine sights. Equal brightness, but better clarity due to the lenses they use. . .
    Never once ever heard anything like this before. MeproLights look just as sharp and clear at night as any Trijicons I have ever seen. . . plus they have EXCELLENT white contrast rings which make them very useful in daylight as well.

That’s what I observed from simultaneously owning several sets of Trijicon and Meprolight sights. True, the white contrast rings in the Meprolights are larger than the ones in the Trijicons; but because of being located behind the lenses, they’re prone to washing out due to glare under certaing lighting conditions. If you haven’t experienced any of this with the Meprolights, fantastic…I’ll stick with and continue to recommend Trijicon’s product.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by El Torero View Post
    This is very true. I installed my Meprolights (green in front, orange in rear) with a universal sight pusher. Went on with no issues. I also have heard stories of gunsmiths doing botched Heinie installs.
    I have Meprolight green front/orange rear, happy with them ... installed long before Heinie got in the 'HK game',
    have Heinie 8's on a few Colt/P35's.

If anyone botches a sight install, they are not smiths, they are 'hacks'. My gun smith/s Steve Morrison/Don Williams do my installs.
    Beware of 'hacks'.
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

great info i'll be looking into getting some

The Meps are poorly made and the tritium is not as bright or generally as good a quality as Trijicon. No surprise really since Kimber owns Meprolight and Kimber is not exactly know for their quality.
    Don' worry about 'fresh" sights. Any tritium sight last many, many years and you ae very unlikey to find any that have been sitting in a warehouse long enough to be an issue.
    The Heinies are a very tight fit and you would be well advised to send the slide to Heinie and let them install them. You will end a lot of gunsmiths who butcher the job.
    I still haven't found HK sights that I like. I want a wide rear with no dot or markings and a front sight with a large dot. Something like Warren Tacticals of the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. But neither of these companies are showing any interest in making HK sights.
    Last edited by HKP30s; 08-14-2011 at 02:24 AM.

AWD
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by HKP30s View Post
    The Meps are poorly made and the tritium is not as bright or generally as good a quality as Trijicon.
    Everyone has their favorite when it comes to Trijicon vs. Meprolight but I have never heard anyone complain that the Meps are "poorly made." Is this from experience? Did you have a set that malfunctioned?

Quote Originally Posted by HKP30s View Post
    No surprise really since Kimber owns Meprolight and Kimber is not exactly know for their quality.
    Kimber is the importer/distributor of Meprolight, right? Do they actually own the company?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links