HKPRO Forums banner

USP compact trigger length of pull

5K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  stookie 
#1 ·
I have a USP Compact 45 and in DA it feels like the length of pull is really really long. It also doesn't feel like it breaks cleanly. I've thought of trying lighter springs, don't want lem bc I like my decocker. Is their something I can do to shorten the length of pull? Besides SA obviously.

I looked at greyguns(someone recommended) but I'm not completely clear in what's offered in their jobs(read the description, dont know what it all means). But 325$ is a lot of money if it's not really gonna clear up my issue. Trying to get a shorter and cleaner trigger pull

#2 ·
My USP 45C's trigger smoothed out considerably after a few trips to the range and some extensive dry firing. Give it some time and practice.

I don't wet my pants when I encounter a trigger that's not a 3.5 lb. 1911 style and actually like the DA/SA mode with HK's, Berettas, Sigs, etc.

You'll master it I'm sure. Good luck.

#3 ·
Its not that I don't have it mastered or want it to be super light. I want it to be smoother and have a cleaner break, I dont think practicing will fix either of these issues. While more time with it will get me used to the break of the trigger it wont make it any smoother and that is what I want to do

#8 ·
I know that I dont want an LEM trigger, but I think what youre saying is I can do the polish from the first link and a match trigger which will reduce the over all length of pull of the trigger?

The trigger will work, but has to be modified

#11 ·
DA trigger pulls are long because they're cocking the pistol, compressing springs, etc. before tripping the sear. Shortening that part requires changes in the geometry (and leverage) of the moving parts. In addition the standard HK DA trigger has a vague sear trip point. Just like every other DA pistol out there. Part of the steep learning curve you're stuck with in a DA (DA/SA, DAO) pistol. You can master it with enough time and ammunition.

The trigger system you insist you don't want, the LEM, has a very nice, distinct sear trip point. Two stage trigger. Take out the slack to the felt trip point, complete the trigger press when the sights align. The first stage comes out in the time interval between the holster and the target so there's no delay. The pistol is already cocked and in SA mode, all the trigger does is position the hammer so there's enough inertia to detonate the primer.

What's not to like here? :wink:

-- Chuck

#13 ·
Taking the slack out of the trigger is the HK-recommended LEM shooting technique. Here's what HK says in the HK45 Manual regarding LEM. No reason I can think of that this is "HK45 specific." (Emphasis added.)
Firing the HK45 equipped with LEM

All rounds are fired in the LEM DAO mode of fire as they are in conventional
DA or DAO handguns. When pulling the trigger rearward you will first feel a
relatively long length of free travel (slack) and then a second stage of heavier
but consistent pull that actually releases the hammer and fires the pistol. This
slack can and should be safely taken up, once the pistol is pointed at the
target, to enhance trigger pull consistency.

In addition to providing an improved DAO trigger pull, the LEM also provides a
very short trigger reset distance to enhance the speed of multiple or follow-up
shots (forward movement of the trigger before firing once again is possible)
and allows for double-strike capability to restrike an unfired round without
manipulation of the slide, as is required in some conventional DA only or striker
fired handguns.

WARNING: Do not place your finger on the trigger or within the triger
guard until you have made a conscious decision to fire the pistol. If you need
additional information, please contact your customer service representative
at HKI Customer Service at (205) 655-8299.
You made a conscious decision to fire before you reached for the pistol in most scenarios. If not draw to low ready and don't touch the trigger.

This standard trigger technique is taught at every professional training course I've attended over the years. It is vitally important with standard DA pistols with 10-pound first pulls. Gray Guns (Google them if you don't know the name) calls it "prepping" the trigger. You're not half pulling while drawing, but after the pistol is pointed at the threat. After the draw but part of the presentation. Long before the sights align.

Think of drag racing reaction times as an analogy. The other car has already dropped the clutch or released the trans brake button -- the threat has made a furtive move to draw a weapon or lunge toward you. You're behind and need to catch up!

If you're not comfortable with this technique don't do it, but it's the most effective way I know of. There are folks not comfortable carrying a M1911 cocked-and-locked, those not comfortable carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber, and those not comfortable about carrying a pistol at all. You have choices. Some are less efficient than others when needed.

-- Chuck

#14 · (Edited)
I prefer to have my external safety, that is why I ruled out LEM. It seems that for me possibly a match trigger or a trigger job. At this point I need to find a dealer that has pistols (I believe the tactical series) with match trigger so I can feel the difference. Also it seems that grey guns offers a service that smooths up the feel and shortens the length, it is expensive but being that I cannot do the install of a match trigger or LEM conversion myself its not all that much more and includes some coating on various parts.

I appreciate your input on the LEM choice, but it's not an avenue I want to take 1. Because of removal of external safety, and 2. From my understanding only cleans up the feel but doesn't shorten the travel, which for me would be better to stay cocked and locked in SA and drop the safety on the draw than try to cover the travel of the LEM DA portion.

#15 ·
There are some very helpful videos out there that can help you install the Match Trigger kit yourself, if you are interested in really getting to know your weapon inside and out -- for example. This kind of tabletop gunsmithing is not for everyone, but it certainly not as scary as you might think. Good luck with your choice and let us know how it turns out.

#16 ·
Honestly if I make a modification it will probably be thru someone as I don't want to mess something up and have an error while operating.

I'm gonna try to get a hold of a tactical model and see if I like that, if not the more I search I think it's gonna be send it to grey guns.

#18 ·
I don't understand why people think I am giving up or don't have enough range time, it's an improvement I want to make to the feel of the trigger.

It's like if I drove an F1 car and said the rides to stiff, more laps doesn't make the ride less stiff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.