HKPRO Forums banner

Am I The Only HK Handgun Shooter Who Doesn't Want a "Trigger Upgrade"?

13K views 108 replies 59 participants last post by  nico 
#1 ·
Seems like a majority of threads (many started by new owners who've not even shot their HK's yet) assume they need trigger work.

I've always been completely satisfied with the stock V3, V1 triggers on my - USP 45C, HK 45C, P30L, P30 and P2000 SK.

My HK triggers work. And they work well.

Not trying to be contentious, but new HK owners, please take your pistol to the range and put 1,000 rds. through it before you consider having work done on your piece.

You may be surprised at how good that trigger really is. :wink:

#4 ·
This not meant as a blanket answer, but I think some folks use light triggers as a crutch to compensate for poor basic technique and bad habits. I have HKs with and without match triggers. I shoot them with about the same consistency, because I drill myself for trigger control and consistency. For the most part, I shoot all of my semi auto guns, with their various trigger sensitivities, the same. I do understand that a very heavy trgger can cause the group to spread. If I shoot my 629 in DA, my pattern is more open than when I shoot the same gun in single action. HK triggers are not heavy enough to make a difference to my performance. Some guys though, just have to have a two pound trigger...

#6 ·
I considered it for about 5.7 seconds then just read about reliability issues some people had afterward and I really didn't see anything wrong with the stock trigger so I decided not to.

I have no problems hitting my target with the stock trigger.

The only thing I would consider trigger related would be a match trigger installed by HK themselves.

-DBLAction454

#10 ·
Totally.

I just can't stand that my trigger has the break qualities of a wet potato chip. Thankfully that doesn't outweigh the other qualities of my P2000 relative to the competition.

#8 · (Edited)
No trigger job here alway's done exactly what i wanted my HK's to do since ~1995.
Seem's like since the day's of the inter-web forum's get something going and it never stop's.
I like my HK's stock!!

All the post above say it better...i used to shoot a few hundred rds every week-end.
Since i cannot do that now i dry fire more and that help's. Today many want instant
gratification/success. So complaint's arise instead of doing like Apollo said.....

If HK trigger's are not for someone i would sell them and move on and not think twice about it. Striker fired gun's are for some but not for my carry nor SD handgun...rather have a revolver.

#11 ·
I was all about having HK install a match trigger on my usp and I still might. But im no where near as set on it as I was. I agree, im using that money for ammo, or a nice safariland holster.

#12 ·
You know, I never really realized what a detriment a ****ty trigger can be when shooting at speed at 25-yards. After shooting both my P2000SK (may daily carry) and a new HK45, I have to say one thing - the DA trigger on my HK45 SUCKS! Is that the end of the World, or something that forces me to send my pistols off to some VooDoo Witch Doctor to either make my trigger better or break my gun? Nope. That's why they created an (un-named) striker fired pistols.

#16 ·
Talking strickly about the USP.

The double action is horrible. Hard and not very smooth.

Single action is either a love or hate. You either like the two-stage setup where you have some slack, then you have the actual resistance. It's kind of mushy but I like it, and it seems like half the people who encounter it like it. However for those who like it, if you ask them what would make it better you'll hear a crisper break is needed, ala a 1911. The match trigger does this while also giving it a much lower pull weight.

Bottom line. If you like the trigger of the USP or find it acceptable, you will love the match trigger. I still think it's one of the best triggers on a handgun, even more so than high end 1911s.

#22 ·
Each time I've purchased a handgun I'm always asked. "Need any trigger work done?" I always give the same answer. "No Thanks"
Always stayed with the stock trigger, never had any problem. Maybe missing something, o well. I figure I've just spent upwards of a grand on a handgun, it shouldn't need any more work.
Nothing wrong with change just I haven't felt the need. Must be pretty popular though a lot of people upgrade. Enjoy your FREEDOM TO CHOOSE it may be gone before to long.

#23 ·
I don't know if the light LEM mod is considered a match trigger or having trigger work done, but I put 1200 round through my V1 HK45 fullsize before I considered making the move. I LOVED the SA trigger on it. The DA not so much. Everytime I pulled DA it felt very grabby and mushy compared to the SA. If they could have made the DA have the same crisp, smooth pull as the SA, I probably would have kept it the way it was. Now, with the LEM, I am VERY happy with my hand gun. I am planning on getting a few more HK hand guns and will have them all made light LEM just to have consistency throughout. Just my .02 on the subject.

#25 ·
I recently picked up a Walther P99. I think the trigger on it is actually quite good. Long but smooth in DA, very short and crisp in SA, and the reset for a production pistol is almost unbelievable. All that said, I still shoot my P2000 in 9mm (also DA/SA) better at 10 yds and less than the P99 (stretch it out further and the P99 starts pulling ahead). Now that might change with time, though this isn't my first P99, but right now that's a fact. That said, the nice trigger of the P99 has kept me on the fence about getting a P30.

For me I think there is a point of diminishing returns. A trigger similar to my P2000 and I'm happy and any better is great but it doesn't make a world of difference for most purposes. I do think a lot of people jump into trigger jobs before really giving the gun a chance. That said, it's their money and it's not my business nor do I care what they do.

#34 ·
I am so glad I caught this thread. I was literally putting together the parts for the match trigger kit in the shopping cart on hkparts.net when I ran into this thread. I then asked myself why I was spending money on this when I like the triggers on my USP's just fine. I came to the answer that I was antsy to finish getting my NFA trust set up and my ATF Form 1 and 4 going and just had to do *something* to a firearm. I promptly clicked my browser closed before I threw another couple of hundred down the drain, d'oh.

#36 ·
I thought my V1 trigger was fine for a while. Then I tried LEM. And fell in love. Maybe I'm just too lazy to learn good DA/SA trigger control... If so, I'm lazy AND I can still shoot tight groups now. So I'm happy. :62:

#37 ·
I've got about 800 rounds or so through my P30 V2 LEM, and I'm not unhappy with the trigger. It's not a 1911. On the other hand, I don't have to deal with a safety like I did on my 1911s. I might be happier with a lighter version of the LEM, but quite honestly, my shooting isn't at the point where I think it's going to make much difference. Because of the idiotic laws in Chicago, I spent two decades not shooting, so I've got a lot of re honing the basics before I worry about a couple pounds of trigger pull.

#38 ·
Hey, but at least being in Chicago meant that there were no gun crimes going on all those years. That's a plus.

#39 · (Edited)
HK pistols are the definition of a "combat pistol". I have no problems with their trigger pulls right out of the box and they smooth out nicely with dry fire and actually putting some rounds down range. I like substance in a trigger pull so the thought of trigger jobs never crosses my mind. HK longevity, reliability, and low maintenance are also greatly appreciated. Bill

#41 · (Edited)
I've learned to accept the trigger reset length and the lack of a positive click but the one thing I couldn't is the heavy DA. My SK out of the box tested at an average of 14.9#. That's ridiculous. It did lighten up a little bit after dry firing and a few rounds but A 15# pull is some crazy New York Glock kind of crap. Oddly, I still shot it well and better than I thought I would. (..up to 25'.) $8 and a new hammer spring fixed that BTW.

I hate bringing this up but Sig has got the trigger system nearly perfected (along w/ CZ75 & their custom shop) if you're only talking about Da/Sa the short, positive & audible click reset. (DAK is an abortion.) I've had 2 sigs bend trigger bars for no apparent reason so there must be a trade off that the pistol engineers decide upon. Either the near perfect feeling of a trigger or near perfect reliability. I still choose Hk, because I'd rather get used to substandard feeling trigger than have one fail on me. By the end of the year I'll shoot 18k rounds through one P30L and I'm completely positive that it'll run just fine and without a breakage. ..My $1200 Sigs didn't make it 1k rounds before breaking.

My point is simple, it's give and take. Nothing is perfect unless you're blinded by brand recognition or ignorance. It's not about the features of a gun that makes it earn its place on your side, it's about the negative features that you can't live with or change. For me Hk's have less negatives than the competition.

#43 ·
I've learn to accept the trigger reset length and the lack of a positive click but the one thing I can't is the heavy DA. My SK when out of the box tested at an average of 14.9#. That's ridiculous. It did lighten up a little bit after dry firing and a few rounds but A 15# pull is some crazy New York Glock kind of crap. Oddly, I still shot it well and better than I thought I would. (..up to 25'.) $8 and a new hammer spring fixed that BTW.

I hate bringing this up but Sig has got the trigger system nearly perfected (along w/ CZ) if you're only talking about Da/Sa the short, positive & audible click reset. (DAK is an abortion.) I've had 2 sigs bend trigger bars for no apparent reason so there must be a trade off that the pistol engineers decide upon. Either the near perfect feeling of a trigger or near perfect reliability. I still choose Hk, because I'd rather get used to substandard feeling trigger than have one fail on me. By the end of the year I'll shoot 18k rounds through one P30L and I'm completely positive that it'll run just fine and without a breakage. ..My $1200 Sigs didn't make it 1k rounds before breaking.

My point is simple, it's give and take. Nothing is perfect unless you're blinded by brand recognition or ignorance. It's not about the features of a gun that makes it earn its place on your side, it's about the negative features that you can't live with or change. For me Hk's have less negatives than the competition.
My question is if you knew Quote: My SK when out of the box tested at an average of 14.9#That's ridiculous. .End of Quote: why did you buy it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.