HKPRO Forums banner

USP Barrel Weight

8K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Phaedrus 
#1 ·
I've seen some older posts about USP barrel weights but no place to buy one so I turned to a CNC machine and decided to configure one for different models. My next step is cutting in a spot to extend the sights and then anodizing it. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful and very much appreciated!

I'll try to post some more pics after I figure out the format

See less See more
#8 ·
Donkey,

That actually looks pretty nice, but is the barrel weight the same weight as the OEM or is it lighter? I suspect it's lighter, since the original was made of tungsten . . . . So have you shot it? If so, then how did it perform? If it doesn't reduce muzzle flip, then all you have is a decorative compensator weight on the front end of a USP. Who knows, this may be a good thing, since the original made the Match pistol somewhat unbalanced and front heavy. With a lighter front end it may perform better or differently.

The original weight also had the top portion grooved out and it helped to prevent the long barrel from making contact with the top side of the barrel weight when the slide cycled backward upon firing. Or will you be using a standard barrel instead of a Jarvis long barrel? If you're using the standard barrel then I would suggest porting your new compensator weight on the top or on the sides to apply effective downforce to compensate for any muzzle flip. Otherwise it looks good.....but I would still need to know how it performs before adding anymore weight to the front end of my pistol.

#9 ·
This is the one my friend made for me...

He made it out of aluminum. Compared to my real one (I sold it), it is much nicer. The weight was what I didn't like about the original, and the aluminum took care of that problem. Anyway, that picture is so you can see the angles on the side, and how the original didn't mix any angels in the lower part (looks weird). Also, I think you need to make the part that sticks inside of the trigger guard much smaller, it looks like it takes up a bunch of space in the guard section... It would be nice to get one of your creations and take one of my machines to it.... Good job by the way.

#13 · (Edited)
By recommendation, I added porting to the top of the weight and took it to the range! First of all, I couldn't believe how much attention this slick little weight got. Secondly, it's added performance is incredible. This seems to add the correct amount of weight and balance to the gun. The combination of weight and the porting reduces the muzzle-flip after each shot by seemingly half of the non-weighted gun. Follow-up target acquisition is twice as fast, there's no way I'll shoot any of my HK's without one of these! I'm definitely full-steam ahead on production. There's going to be a choice of finishes as well, clear-coated(for the silver finish), anodized black or metallic blue.

After I get the first one back with it's black coating I'll post a finished pic. I've received many PM's interested in purchasing, they should be ready for sale and shipment within the week fitted to the USP45 as well as the P30. I will retrofit these to any HK, if you're interested, keep the comments, suggestions, and messages coming. Thanks for the help so far!

#15 ·
The only complication I can see is that if the front sight is on the compensator and the comp is removed and then replaced and does not return to original zero, you could have POI unpredictability. Other than that, It looks like a nice accessory. Lots of work went into that.

#18 ·
unless you have adjustable rear sights, could see poa poi shift as front sight is basically mounted to frame and not shared on slide with rear. i think you'd be better off if you made front sight cut optional or just replaced it with another port. also make sure to allow for front of slide rear of weight clearances to protect both from each other. dont want em kicking the **** out of each other every time they meet. my two cents.

#24 ·
UPDATE: Here's the first one anodized black, but there have since been improvements to the current weight that this one doesn't have. So, this is to help visualize only how the final product will look when it's anodized. I'll also upload some pictures of the final design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.