+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recoil springs

Default recoil springs

i'm thinking about replacing my old spring with a new wolf spring extra power. either the 14lbs or 16lbs versus the factory 12lbs recoil spring on my USP9.

any reason why i should not do this (increasing the weight of the recoil spring)?

***also, i read that it's easier to just "unscrew" the spring from the assembly rather than trying to remove the small retaining clip. is this true?

HKPRO Professional

For what reason should you do this would be my question?

Worn out, tinkering, failures?
    Bad decisions make good stories.

i think my spring is wearing out.

i'm getting the occasional brass right in the face.

HKPRO Professional

Your spring wearing out would cause the brass to fly further than before. The slide would not have anything (relatively) to slow it down, and the brass hits the ejector faster. How many rounds do you have on that RSA?

I am getting ready to change mine too, when I do I am going to do a stock HK spring. No reason to fix what is not broken, IMO.

probably close to 10k. i stopped keeping track a long time ago.

would there be any benefit to adding a heavier spring on a USP9?

Unrepentant HKHolic

I think the only reason you would want a heavy spring is if you are shooting really hot loads like +P, +P+, or .45 super. With a heavy spring you may have problems cycling cheaper or lower powered ammo. If you aren't shooting anything exotic like I listed above, just replace it with a factory spec one. Although, I don't think they wear out after 10k, probably closer to 30k.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    i think my spring is wearing out.

i'm getting the occasional brass right in the face.
    This symptom usually happens most with a new, stiff recoil spring. A heavier recoil spring is likely to make it even worse. You might actually want to try a lighter-than-stock recoil spring. . . like a 10 pound. Apollo11 is exactly right: If your spring were worn out, your brass would be flying into the next county instead of beaning you in the forehead.

. . . and YES, the easiest way to replace the recoil spring is to unscrew it off of the recoil assembly.
    HK is the way!

HKPRO Professional

HK states that they are rated to 15-20K depending on the loads shot through the gun. Cases hitting your head can be a sign of limping the gun a bit. I get cases in my face when I shoot weak handed.

A heavier spring will not tolerate limp wristing at all as it needs the foundation (your hands) to be firmer for it to allow the slide full travel for function. I'd strongly suggest OEM replacement for your gun unless, like skullbox says, your shooting demands a different need.

ETA: orfeo beat me to it, lol.

Unrepentant HKHolic

FWIW, most competition shooters run a lighter-than-stock recoil spring in their pistols, since most pistols come from their factory a little oversprung to begin with.

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    FWIW, most competition shooters run a lighter-than-stock recoil spring in their pistols, since most pistols come from their factory a little oversprung to begin with.
    On that note, I load my 9mm extra hot to compensate for the SLOW feel I got with my P30L. I did not have the guts to clip my spring, so I just went hotter to get a snappier recoil. As a result, when shooting a properly sprung Limited gun in 40-it feels softer than my P30...lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links