+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USP 45 $ vs HK 45 for $$$

Default USP 45 $ vs HK 45 for $$$

Hi all, new guy here from Ca. Looking to get my first HK pistol, probably a full size .45 acp for range and HD only, not carry. I regularly see used USP 45 fs for around 700, but HK 45 is difficult to find and expensive when found, 1300 and up to 1700 new. Are the improvements of the HK 45 worth double or triple the price of a used USP? Thanks for your help.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Man you guys in Cali are used to paying seriously inflated prices on firearms aren't you?

HK45s can be had for $800 and USPs for $600 with just a little patience. It all depends on what is on your approved roster, right?
    - CPshooter

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

I wouldn't feel so bad about paying up to $800 for a USP but 1300-1700 for an HK45, no way! I see HK45s going for 900-1000 used on texasguntrader.com. Kalifornia is crazy.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Get the USP unless you have very small hands. I have medium small hands and I have no issue with them. The "improvements" of the HK45 are all ergonomic. In fact, and HK45 is little more than an extended USP 45 compact with a better grip. The USP 45 is a tank, and holds 12 shots. Go find a cheeap UTL and convert it to LED and be done. On the other hand, if you are legally required to use 10 rnd mags then you might as well take advanatge of the better ergos.

I only own a HK45c at this point. Today I was shooting a friends USP45 tactical and I noticed that it had a lot more muzzle flip than my 45c. I think that is a function of the longer slide, the 45cs deeper grip (allowing a higher grip) and the USPs recoil gizmo. On the other hand, the odds are just as good that I am just more used to my HK45c.
    Boy, if you try and pee out a forrest fire all you are going to get is a burnt pecker.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPowerRx View Post
    Hi all, new guy here from Ca. Looking to get my first HK pistol, probably a full size .45 acp for range and HD only, not carry. I regularly see used USP 45 fs for around 700, but HK 45 is difficult to find and expensive when found, 1300 and up to 1700 new. Are the improvements of the HK 45 worth double or triple the price of a used USP? Thanks for your help.
    That's crazy dude. The most expensive shop in town has the hk45 for $1000 nib. I have seen them for $900 in other places. Haven't looked at usp's in a while.

Unrepentant HKHolic

SSG Tactical, home of the $700 Glock 19's. If I would have looked at the other prices I might have known. Live & learn I guess.
    Last edited by Wolvee; 07-29-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Le prixs'oublie,la qualité reste
    "This is why we didn't want Hk to make cheaper guns. Now that poor people can afford them, they're bringin down the property values."

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Since you are in CA, my advice would be to get 2 of the HK45 pistols while you still can before the end of the year. Find someone online that will sell them to you for around the $1000 going rate and then have them shipped in to a dealer that does the SSE

I would suggest the HK45T, but you can't have that in CA so no point going there.

Top Gun Supply has it for $989.

Everyone, thanks for the replies. Sounds like the prices should be more like $USP + $200 = $HK 45. This situation,albeit on a relatively small scale, shows how Gov regs affect the free market. The USP is on the Ca approved roster, so it can be imported from other states. The supply of USPs is practically limitless here in Ca. Otoh, the HK45 (and P30 and many other guns) are not on the roster, so only LEOs can import them as configured. If the LEO later on decides he/she doesn't want the HK45, it can be PPT to a non LEO. The result is a much smaller supply of HK45s available within Ca. Seems to me that manufacturers who have many guns on the list have a Gov created market advantage at least within Ca.

SSE can add 200-400 to the price. So we're still talking a large premium over the USP. Do you think it's worth the effort/cash?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim234 View Post
    Since you are in CA, my advice would be to get 2 of the HK45 pistols while you still can before the end of the year. Find someone online that will sell them to you for around the $1000 going rate and then have them shipped in to a dealer that does the SSE

I would suggest the HK45T, but you can't have that in CA so no point going there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links