HKPRO Forums banner

VP70

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  dennis.gibson 
#1 ·
Who has experience with these? I've recently had a chance to buy one off a senior relative but unsure if I really want to. I know the trigger is horrible and mags/parts are non-existent, but I'm thinking it might be worth hit just for the sake of having one. Thoughts or suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
The answers here are most hate it but some like it. I loved it for the time period- there was NOTHING remotely like it back then. Now, they are mostly for the collectors for their historic past.

* Trigger can be mastered. It is way different than any other. Most people whine like they might break their trigger finger, but it can be mastered.
* Mags are scarce and expensive if you can find them. The big thing is they do not drop free.
* This is a big hand gun if that bothers you. I carried mine routinely concealed back in the day.
* It looks like a ray gun. Radical then, weird to most today.
* I never had either of the two I owned fail in operation, firing or feeding.
* Very few moving parts, but even so, parts no longer available.
* Front ramp sight was strange, but it worked well. Back in the day before tritium sights, I epoxied strips of glow in the dark darkroom tape to the front and rear sights that worked perfectly and wore very well.
* If collecting, look for the condition of the box- including a thin, green foam padding, manual, test target, warranty card, sealed envelope with a spent cartridge ( in conflict with what most people say, one of mine included this) two mags and obvious condition of the weapon itself.

When people say they hate the VP70(Z), I always remind them to think back to the day when service pistols were .38 specials and these came along... Also, for as much as they supposedly were hated, try to find one that was "hated" so much it wasn't used- 99% found for sale today are very rough- "hated", but well used.

#3 ·
I've got two and I don't think I'd part with either. I like them for their historical significance and because of my love of the weird and otherwise unappreciated when it comes to firearms. If you're on the fence, I say buy it. The VP70z is an interesting and fun, even if some find it challenging, gun to shoot. It's easy to sing the praises of the USP etc., put your HK balls on the table and buy a VP70z!

#7 ·
It depends on what you're planning to use it for. Is this just a collection piece that may get shot once in awhile but mostly is there for historic reasons. Is this going to be a range toy? A serious use gun? A nightstand weapon?

If you're curious about it and your relative needs a couple hundred bucks you could do worse as far as getting a collectable piece goes. You could do better.....cough P7 series....cough...cough, but you could do worse.

For a serious use weapon I'd be hard pressed to believe any argument that a VP70 would be better than more modern offerings.

Let us know what you end up doing and post pics if you acquire it.

#8 ·
I even shot mine many years ago in a couple of combat matches (that's what they were called before the politically correct days). By the time each stage was over my trigger finger was so tired that could hardly fire the thing. They have a 15+ pound trigger pull! This pistol was originally set up for use with a shoulder stock and 3 burst fire. Trigger pull would be less taxing when braced against the shoulder stock, I would guess. The rain gutter sight was pretty good for quick target acquisition.

#9 ·
I have one they used that in the first Alien's movie so that makes it cool no matter what. Yes the trigger is bad but the only thing I wish I could change or add is a sight. If I could add a sight I'd shoot the darn thing once in a while. That slant front blade this is invisible.

#15 ·
Also, Leon Kennedy uses one. What other reason you need to buy one?
Okay, I'll bite… who is Leon Kennedy?

FWIW, I have been wanting one of these for a while. The only one I have managed to get to first, ahead of other HK fans, had a feeding issue. Fortunately, after saying "I'll take it.", I was looking back through some older threads and saw where the seller had posted about a feeding problem with his. So I bumped him back, and to his credit he was honest about it; so I withdrew my offer.

Bummer.

#22 ·
Here is the thing about the VP70. The gun's trigger is awful. I mean absolutely awful. It looks really ugly/strange. All that being said I love mine though. It's a great conversation gun with lots of W. German E. German history and I love schooling Glock lovers. If I were you I would buy it if you collect HK's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.